Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Eyebrows

(55 Posts)
Hymnbook Wed 03-Jul-19 20:20:43

I would like to know which products to use to make my sparse eyebrows thicker and darker.

Camelotclub Thu 04-Jul-19 11:36:38

RapidBrow works for me. You paint it on twice daily (I only did at night!) and it has worked, amazingly. Brows are thicker and darker. It's expensive but lasts ages. You can probably find some cheaper on ebay.

www.amazon.co.uk/RapidBrow-Eye-Brow-Enhancing-Serum/dp/B008U8N26I?tag=gransnetforum-21

vena11 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:37:19

I use an old mascara and brush when its nearly finished, just brush it lightly over the hair until it dries and lightly brush it over, works a treat.

4allweknow Thu 04-Jul-19 11:42:27

I have lost all my eyebrows due to a rare alopecia. Have tattoos which when they fade I use a quite inexpensive eyebrow pencil from Gosh stocked in Superdrug. Also has a little brush on the end for giving contour. I go for the grey/brown shade.

Craftycat Thu 04-Jul-19 12:05:06

I had mine micro bladed last year. A bit like a tattoo but not painful.
Best thing I have ever done. They look totally natural & even right up close you cannot tell they are not real.
I love them. It lasts about 4-5 years apparently. No pencils or anything now. I had almost none before.
The girl who did them works for NHS too covering scars & making hair look real over scars. Amazing what she can do.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 04-Jul-19 12:17:39

Every months or so I have my eyebrows dye, it makes what I have look thicker and its not expensive.

Mistymorningstar Thu 04-Jul-19 12:23:47

I lost 95% of my thick bushy eyebrows (and over 30% of my hair) after someone close to me died unexpectedly - funny how the body reacts to trauma - and they have never grown back. They take most of my "getting ready" time as i only use eye makeup and lipsticks not skin makeup. But getting them even is a craft i am still struggling with.

grannytotwins Thu 04-Jul-19 12:50:34

Mine are sparse and not from over plucking. I have them tattooed every three years or so. It’s worth every penny. I had tried every sort of makeup going prior to the tattoos and am so glad I don’t have to think about how my brows look.

keffie Thu 04-Jul-19 12:57:20

Cosmetic tattooing is what I had done then it topped up once a year

Jodieb Thu 04-Jul-19 14:48:33

I have only a few eyebrow hairs left but I also no longer have arm and leg hairs, few under arm hairs. Do others? I thought was just due to being older but the last comment has ne wondering.

Greciangirl Thu 04-Jul-19 16:09:14

I just have a few stray hairs where my brows should be through over plucking over the years.

They never grow back, no matter what products you use.
Except for a few grey ones. They always manage to see the light of day.

I have given up, mainly because pencils or shadows look so fake.

jenni123 Thu 04-Jul-19 16:57:26

I h
ad mine tattoo'd so when the brows grow I shave them off leaving just the tattoo.

Babs15 Thu 04-Jul-19 17:16:51

My sparse eyebrows disappeared completely in my mid40s. Now have them cosmetically tattooed (been advised against microblading). Only need 'topping up' about every 18m/2y. Best thing I ever did.

Nanny123 Thu 04-Jul-19 17:30:02

I had microblading last year and love it completely changed my face

TrendyNannie6 Thu 04-Jul-19 17:50:19

I’m the same by I have underactive thyroid my brows are. Dry sparse I’m trying to grow them to have hd brows which I think look lovely if they are done correctly

Liz08 Thu 04-Jul-19 18:47:14

For the past 15 years (after menopause, eczema and a bit of over plucking) my eyebrows have been very sparse so I usually just grow my fringe to cover them but I'm now going to try the RapidBrow recommended by Camelotclub.
I looked at the Amazon reviews (1400 + with a 4 star rating) and thought I'd give it a try.
I hate the thought of the 'badly drawn old lady' eyebrows .... grin

Lancslass1 Thu 04-Jul-19 18:54:52

When I was a teenager with dark blond. (mouse really) hair I was advised to get a grey eyebrow pencil. -8d I think it was
My hair is still the same colour (although I have highlights ) and a grey pencil still looks more natural than a brown one.

Shizam Thu 04-Jul-19 20:38:20

I used to have dark, lustrous eyebrows. They’ve gone thin and grey. I tint them with Swiss O Par. Takes a minute to do. Have looked into the micro-blading option. But expensive and probably painful. I miss my brows.

Hymnbook Thu 04-Jul-19 23:12:29

Thank you to everyone for your help advice and suggestions for products etc l've bought 2 Rimmel products today but up close they look false From afar they look ok like every other product l've bought. I've spent a fortune on products to try and get my eyebrows to look good they do frame the eyes. I suppose l shall have to keep on trying but it's costing so much most of these products will end up in the bin what a waste of money which l don't really have.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 05-Jul-19 08:03:58

Hello Hymnbook due to over-plucking when young and chemo a few years back my eyebrows will never be the same again. I use Maybelline Tattoo Brow which is a bit pricey but is sometimes on special offer - I got three for two at Tesco a little while back. It works reasonably well.
You paint it on (not as thickly as the girl in the ad) and leave it for a couple of hours, then peel it off. It looks very dark until the 'peel off' - getting the right shade is quite tricky as is the eternal problem of getting a perfectly matching pair. You can leave it on for a few days each time.

Elisabeth68 Fri 05-Jul-19 10:30:59

I also went for microblading last year, and am thrilled with the result and time saved every morning
However, it is only semi permanent and I am already saving up for the next session in about 2 years time!

glammagran Fri 05-Jul-19 11:47:59

I have gaps in my eyebrows (another overplucker when young and stupid) which are brownish. I’ve found l’oreal blonde works best for me. It’s the only light coloured pencil which doesn’t leave what’s left of my eyebrows with a reddish tint.

Ally63 Fri 05-Jul-19 13:11:32

I had my eyebrows microbladed last year. They look great and am so glad I had it done. It was quite expensive and they need topped up every couple of years but well worth it.

Coolgran65 Fri 05-Jul-19 19:31:49

I have blonde and grey eyebrows. Used to have them tinted but it was usually too dark and only lasted a few days.

Now I use Avon glimmersticks in shade blonde. It's excellent. Get them waxed and thinned about every two months.

The glimmersticks are about £6 each but I get mine off eBay and Amazon for half the price with free postage.

Margs Sat 06-Jul-19 10:10:08

Well, I've drawn mine on for years because my brows have always been pathetic - sometimes I get it right (not often though!) but most times I just look like Groucho Marx.

But I persevere. If I don't draw them on then I have no reference point as my eyes are so titchy and piggy I wouldn't be able to find them.

Suerussell Sat 06-Jul-19 15:02:21

I get mine threaded and tinted. I have brow hair but a lot of it has gone grey so makes them look sparse but the tint on them seems to fill in what I thought were bald patches!

I go to the stand in Superdrug costs about £15 every 6-8 weeks