Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

End of term gifts

(106 Posts)
Newquay Thu 18-Jul-19 16:34:08

End of term again and no doubt teachers will get arms full of “stuff”!
Eldest DGD has just qualified as a teacher so, presumably, she’ll be on the receiving end next year.
AIBU but why don’t they have a “gift box” and ONE card for each class for children/parents to (privately) donate to and write in the card. PTAs should take the lead in this-what do you think?

sodapop Sat 20-Jul-19 13:15:27

Lets hear it for the teachers, clearly the most valued workers on the planet.

adaunas Sat 20-Jul-19 14:34:58

Nice to receive gifts, but not essential -a thank you as they leave my class is really welcome.
Hardest to accept? Gift from a child who has been ‘difficult’ ( without a ‘special need’) all year and whose parent has frequently been in to complain to me over one thing or another. I wonder 2 things: why bring me a gift at all and why not realise that a few lessons without having to hear all that bad language etc, would have been much more welcome.
Then I wonder if it’s a sign that the parent knows what their child is like and has sent me a gift for having the endless patience to deal with the child.

Mealybug Sat 20-Jul-19 15:38:43

My daughter has just gone through this and spent way too much (in my opinion) on teachers gifts. My Grandson is leaving for a new school so I understand her buying his one to one teacher a nice gift, but she's bought all the other teachers and assistants a personalised gift each, together with presents for my Granddaughters teachers and assistants (in nursery class), then she bought them all cards, had personalised gift bags made and bought every child in the class a sweet cone. She's a stay at home Mum although hubby works, but they never have any money so are regularly subsidised by the bank of Mum & Dad. In my opinion she's gone way over the top when she can't really afford it, but can't seem to see it.

Septimia Sat 20-Jul-19 15:52:52

I can't remember sending presents to DS's teachers. As a teacher myself, I didn't expect anything at the end of the year (except perhaps a leaving present and that would be from fellow staff as much as anything). DH (also a teacher ) and I both received gifts from some children, but they were usually small things like boxes of chocolates or mugs for our morning coffee. A 'thank you' was more than sufficient.

We didn't give the children presents, either. However, our DGD came out of school this week with a key ring holding a message of thanks for a good year and best wishes for the future from her teacher and TAs. I thought that was a really nice idea.

ayokunmi1 Mon 22-Jul-19 13:40:40

GabriellaG54
Very naughty
Winding others up like that
Lol