Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sleeping in the garden

(95 Posts)
tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 20:12:04

Has anyone done it? I really want to invite my GD 14 to sleepover and we could sleep outside in this heat but just thinking of the drawbacks?

So would you/have you?

tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 21:43:08

I do have a steamer chair that goes flat so I needn’t sleep on the floor unless slugs climb? , which thinking about it they probably do YUK!!

lemongrove Tue 23-Jul-19 21:43:24

It’s raining here tonight!
It sounds a good idea, am sure it would be fun, as long as you are comfortable.Take a torch.

MrsAllboys Tue 23-Jul-19 21:46:31

Wonderful. Children usually love it. I did this as a child, so did my children (and their friends). My little grandboys are now asking their parents if they can sleep in the garden. However, we all did it in tents... not sure about night flying beetles and crawling insects otherwise.?. However, light showing in the distance and back door unlocked is probably all the reassurance they will need. It’s huge fun!

ElaineI Tue 23-Jul-19 23:26:29

Sounds brilliant to me though I think I would like a tent over me however if flap was open fine. You might have to check weather for clouds etc.

BradfordLass72 Wed 24-Jul-19 02:59:47

When I lived in a rural area I used to take my tent out into the field we laughingly called a garden (complete with grazing cows) as soon as Spring arrived.

I slept outside every night until it eventually became too cold to do so, well into Autumn and occasionally Winter.

I did this for over 20 years and never wanted to come inside. Maybe in a previous life I was a tramps sleeping under hedgerows? I loved it.

I miss that very much, although there is a lawn where I live now, with room for a tent but there are also multiple cats who would make my night unpleasant with their sprayed pollution. sad

The best part of sleeping outside is when the day's scents and sounds gradually change to night and all the myriad little night creatures come out and the grass breathes coolness into the air. Magic.

Beechnut Wed 24-Jul-19 06:47:02

BradfordLass72 did you find that you felt better in yourself for sleeping outside for so long? I used to think that, sleeping in our tent just for the short time we were away and noticing a difference to be back home in bed.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jul-19 06:53:24

I don’t understand the hesitance Why not ? Unless you have an open garden and live in an area of crime
I still camp when I can and if you have an enclosed garden it’s fine I’ve put a tent up for kids in the garden in the past they love it
Is your granddaughter 14 ? If so I m surprised if she’s not slept out in her life before, or maybe you re in a city area

tanith Wed 24-Jul-19 08:09:23

Bluebell I have said we are in London although in the suburbs of Ealing. I don’t think my GD has slept outside they only have a tiny courtyard as outside space so not really possible. I’m keen but she’s not so sure, we shall see but I shall do it anyway.

ILE35 Wed 24-Jul-19 08:12:34

I'd go for it. Worst thing that can happen if you're in a safe area is it is not quite the experience you thought it would be either through cold, beasties, dampness etc but then you just go back inside. Hopefully you make it through the night though! Good luck ?

harrigran Wed 24-Jul-19 08:28:38

I could never see the attraction of camping out myself but have spent an hour or two flat on my back on a sun lounger in France watching the stars, always retired to bed though otherwise would be eaten alive.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jul-19 08:33:05

Sorry tanith I missed your posts about Ealing
I just thought at 14 she may have been camping before not necessarily in the garden but then some families aren’t into the great outdoors so much I have one grandchild who has camped a number of times but prefers her creature comforts ?I never went camping as a child but took my own kids on wild and woolly adventures and put tents up in the garden for them and friends
Yes go for it she ll hopefully love it It’s an adventure

NanaandGrampy Wed 24-Jul-19 09:10:58

Brilliant idea ! My grandkids do it often in the summer holidays . They actually sleep on their netted trampoline !! Mum throws a large net curtain over the top so no beasties get in , its off the ground, surprisingly comfortable and lots of fun !!

midgey Wed 24-Jul-19 09:24:52

It’s more comfy off the ground but that’s about the only thing that would stop me. Used to do it a lot as a girl such a lovely thing to do.

EllanVannin Wed 24-Jul-19 09:38:36

No, I couldn't do it. Camping out never appealed to me, even as a child so have never done it.
GD in Oz and her partner go all over the place camping and are usually wakened by the odd wombat-----I'd die ! The creatures they've got there too, snakes, not slugs---oh no.
The night sky there is the best in the world though.

annep1 Wed 24-Jul-19 09:42:28

Nannaandgrampy great idea about the trampoline. Must tell daughter.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jul-19 09:59:00

Never thought of the trampoline I like that (we haven’t got one any more all too old) one of my nicest memories is lying in my tent watching a big old storm lighting up the tent and hearing the rain but knowing I was cosy I love waking up early looking out at the dew and hearing the crows or gulls calling and screeching Wonderful

lmm6 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:16:14

What a fabulous idea. Definitely do it. We all should get closer to nature. My Dad did it once and was covered in dew but that is part of the experience. You never know what you might see - last night DH and I sat out in the garden till 11pm and saw a Hedgehog drinking from our pond. We never knew about this previously.

jaylucy Wed 24-Jul-19 10:18:32

Oh what a load of wimps you are!
If you have a tent, you can always leave the tent flaps open - at least until you are about to go to sleep, make sure you have a decent waterproof mat under the airbed too.
A better time would be later on August 12th to watch the Perseids shower and see if you can spot any shooting stars!

polnan Wed 24-Jul-19 10:21:31

oh how wonderful, to sleep outside, tent at the ready,
what wonderful memories to create... and the stars! wish I had a garden , big enough

Charleygirl5 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:21:51

I live not a million miles away from tanith and we have visiting foxes. They can jump and climb- a neighbour took a photo of one sunbathing on a shed roof.

BusterTank Wed 24-Jul-19 10:31:58

Go for it . Your making memories with your grand daughter . If it goes tits up , you can always go in doors .

theresacoo Wed 24-Jul-19 10:34:47

We use a small tent it’s fun

sarahellenwhitney Wed 24-Jul-19 10:35:53

All manner hmmcomes out at night not necessarily are all of the wild life kind.I would invest in air conditioning.

Ginny42 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:52:22

When we used to have camping holidays I felt much healthier and my skin was amazing. When my DD was about 10 she and friends slept in the garden, but I made my OH sleep downstairs by the patio doors! The worst that happened was a visit from a hedgehog. Good luck with your adventure. smile

maryhoffman37 Wed 24-Jul-19 11:00:59

Thunderstorms and biting insects. I wouldn't do it.