Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sleeping in the garden

(95 Posts)
tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 20:12:04

Has anyone done it? I really want to invite my GD 14 to sleepover and we could sleep outside in this heat but just thinking of the drawbacks?

So would you/have you?

Danlan Wed 24-Jul-19 15:40:22

Do it! We sleep in the garden most Summers. If it goes wrong retreat into the house

trendygran Wed 24-Jul-19 16:25:41

I can’t imagine that my,or anyone’s ,14 year old GD would want to have a ‘sleepover’ with their Grandparent. Maybe my GD would consider one with her friends -indoor or out,if the conditions are suitable .ie dry and insect free!

tanith Wed 24-Jul-19 16:40:37

trendygran my lovely GD spends lots of time with me, she pops in on her way home from school most days for a ten minute chat often with friends in tow. She has dinner with me at least once a week and often plans what we’ll cook she is a lovely kind child who has been a wonderful friend to me since DH died last year.
Why wouldn’t she or any other 14yr old for that matter not want to spend time with a beloved Grandparent? We have fun together and share a love of baking and yes she tells me she loves me with a big hug every time she leaves. She’s never going to get too old for a cuddle.

Caro57 Wed 24-Jul-19 17:06:37

GO ahead and enjoy - recently in Australia and many in our group were 'swagging' - with snakes etc. about. One 'mature' lady told us she never slept inside until she was 7 years old - fab!

Callistemon Wed 24-Jul-19 17:12:23

Swagging in Australia is a step too far for me!

Callistemon Wed 24-Jul-19 17:15:15

If you take munchables make sure that they're in a secure plastic box and don't leave crumbs.
Otherwise ants will come to investigate

Gonegirl Wed 24-Jul-19 17:32:03

tanith your GDD sounds lovely. I'm so glad for you.

Btw did you have that thunder and lightning with the heavy rain last night? shock

Gonegirl Wed 24-Jul-19 17:32:26

It came on so suddenly!

tanith Wed 24-Jul-19 17:43:22

Gonegirl I didn't hear it my GS said it was very noisy where is about 5miles away. Trust me the first flash of lightening will see me heading for the door.

Happysexagenarian Wed 24-Jul-19 17:46:35

We slept in our garden on Monday night (it was so much cooler out there) and would have done so last night but for the rain. We leave a back door open and take a torch with us as it's pitch black here at night. The stars are stunning and once our eyes adjust we see owls and bats flying over and the occasional rustling of a badger or fox. Our GC have often slept out when they've stayed with us but would never think of doing it at home. The safety aspect has never even occurred to me apart from the danger of tripping over a plant when making a nocturnal loo visit! Go for it, it's a different world out there at night, and a lot cooler.

Hellsbelles Wed 24-Jul-19 19:43:39

You have reminded me of way,way back during the summer holidays when a friend and I camped out in my parents back garden. We had a small tent , a packet of biscuits , and a bottle of pop ( as it was called in the 70s) . We were in our nighties and dressing gown and even went for a midnight walk down the road, which from memory felt very daring !

Saggi Wed 24-Jul-19 19:43:42

ive slept in back garden in tent with grandchildren ... with key under pillow in case lavatory visits. Go ahead and do it... if you live in a relatively safe area , why not.

Grannyparkrun Wed 24-Jul-19 20:04:03

Tanith, I used to live in West Ealing too, on Sidney Road. I worked in Ealing Hospital and had my babies at Queen Charlottes hospital in Hammersmith. I once slept outside in the heatwave of 1975/6 in Pitshanger Park! Happy memories! I hope you & your GD do it, she'll remember it forever??

4allweknow Wed 24-Jul-19 20:23:36

If you have a tent with built in ground sheet and a fly sheet you should be fine from damp and insects. Go for it, though don't imagine lying looking at the stars unless you have a clear panel near the roof as insects will be inclined to fly about in the dark especially in warm weather.

Tamayra Wed 24-Jul-19 22:24:09

My boys had a tent in the garden
My lovely husband tied a string to his big toe whilst in bed
Other end of string went out the upstairs bedroom window & into tent
If they got scared in the night they pulled the string Dad would be woken up by a tug on his big toe
Downstairs he would go to ‘rescue’ them
Such happy memories
My husband passed over suddenly in 1987 Heart attack aged 59 I still miss him
He’s irreplaceable ???

tanith Thu 25-Jul-19 07:27:19

Well here I am in my own bed my GD decided she didn’t want to risk the bugs ?. I went out at myself at 11 locked up took a torch my phone and water and tucked myself up under a fitted sheet and light blanket. It was lovely just lying in the quiet there were quite a few stars out and I was loving it a few rustles in the hedge but otherwise very quiet. Well at 12:30 I gave up and came inside, I just couldn’t drop off, I usually go to sleep quickly.
I’m disappointed but at least I gave it a go.

lmm6 Thu 25-Jul-19 12:06:00

Just go for it. Although we only stayed out until 11pm on the last two nights, the first night we saw a bat and then a hedgehog drinking out of the pond which was wonderful. Last night we heard an owl and saw the international space station go overhead (we checked and we were right). It is so peaceful out in the garden at night. It will be a fantastic experience for your grandchildren and they won't forget it.

Grannyparkrun Thu 25-Jul-19 15:41:54

Tamayra, string round his toe, going to rescue them...what a lovely story, he must have been such h a wonderful Daddy. I'm sure he lives on in your sons memories too, especially if they ever go camping!

sarahanew Thu 25-Jul-19 18:31:28

I used to do it with my kids when they were little. They thought it was great fun. We had key to get in through conservatory for loo visits. All worked out well