Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help with MIL

(184 Posts)
Nmmaikra Wed 24-Jul-19 16:36:59

My in law's are living with us for 10 days for my son's first birthday as well as our newborn who is a month old now. The in law's live in a different country than we so when they come to visit they live with us, and I get the pleasure of being home with them 24/7, as my husband works during the day. They are very well off people, who my husband and I both agree as pretty stuck up. They always make comments about my son's shoes needing to be real leather, his clothes being organic cotton, him eating all organic foods, his toys being real wood or some kind of sugar plastic? Lol. So you get the point... Well naturally the first thing they did when arriving to our house was to unpack a bunch of toys and shoes. They then explained the material and ingredients of each item and criticized plastic toys (knowing that we ofc buy our son plastic toys or shoes that are not real leather etc...) So I ofc am bitter by the gifts, even though I know it's a nice gesture and genuinely bought them for their grandchild, but still I can't help it!
Another issue we are having is with my MIL respecting our decisions for our child. She comments how much we feeds him, how much he sleeps etc... Even washes him up in the sink because she doesn't want to use baby wipes on him...

She went as far as to make him his first birthday cake, with a "1" candle and all. She said it was the same cake she made my husband for his birthdays. I called my mom crying after she had told me her plans to make this cake on his birthday. I feel like she is having a hard time letting go of the mother role and transitioning into grandmother. I yelled at my husband in frustration saying I want to make my son's first birthday cake...she had her time to make memories with you, now it's my turn to do it my MY son.

So I guess my question first is, are my feelings unreasonable? And how do I start to fix this? I'm miserable, I barely get to spend time with my son while they are here and I'm just at a loss.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Hetty58 Wed 24-Jul-19 22:19:40

I really think that many of the comments made are an overreaction and making a mountain out of a little molehill.

Of course it's irritating to have them for ten days with their opinionated, interfering ways. However, they are your husband's parents so should be treated with respect. How will he feel?

You come across as just as selfish and unreasonable yourself. You resent them spending so much time with your son - for just ten days? You look for criticism. Ignore their comments and cultivate your friendly, good humoured side!

Nmmaikra Wed 24-Jul-19 22:25:16

Hetty58 where have I mentioned resentment for them spending time with my kids? I actually sit back and cry because I am not able to comfort my children when they get hurt or are sad. And I sit back because I realize they get 10 days...but why does that mean my children should suffer as well? They NEED their mother....they don't understand "well Grandma and Grandpa are here only 10 days so it's ok to not have my routine or parents right now..

No they absolutely do not understand that

Nmmaikra Wed 24-Jul-19 22:29:12

My parents also live pretty far away and do not act like this. So why are so many of you defending this behavior?

SparklyGrandma Wed 24-Jul-19 22:37:02

Why not have two birthday cakes, side by side Nmmaikra ? Nothing written in stone to say you can’t.

If you recognise you are extra sensitive having only given birth a month ago, impress this maybe on your DH. You need his protection and everyone’s kindness at this time ??

Nmmaikra Wed 24-Jul-19 22:38:42

My advice to every defending this behavior.... You had your time at raising your children and though you can offer insight as you have experience stop your judgements. Interfering in the way your SIL or DIL raises their children for sure is not healthy. Sit back and enjoy your grandkids and be thankful to have them....now ofc interfere if they are being mistreated or are in danger but if they have a roof, water, clothes, and LOVE....realize it's your child's time to be a parent...

Luckygirl Wed 24-Jul-19 22:40:35

It's just 10 days - thank goodness! Grit your teeth! Good luck!

Esspee Wed 24-Jul-19 22:43:03

Bake your cake, use that for the party, blowing out the candles, photographs etc. and have the other one on the side to be cut after the proper (your) one like an ordinary cake. She'll get the message.

Callistemon Wed 24-Jul-19 22:49:44

quizqueen perhaps Nmaikra's DH had just had paternity leave so it would not be feasible for him to have another week.

Although that could be an idea for any future visits.

I do think thoughts of divorce could mean you are getting over-wrought, OP, it's very early days after giving birth so try to keep calm, your baby may sense your agitation, if you're feeding that will not be good for either of you.
A one year old will still need a nap - surely they must know that? After all, your MIL is also a mother.

Nmmaikra Wed 24-Jul-19 22:56:39

Callistemon, yes my DH does not have any more time take off work. He feels horrible and is understanding but I think afraid to ruin his relationship with his parents. He has talked to his parents in the past and nothing changes. He did encourage that they take a trip tomorrow so we all have some breathing room.
Ofc she knows he needs a nap but he is used to taking 2-3 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. She thinking it is too much sleep and changes his schedule which in turn makes him miserable and unable to sleep at night for 2 nights straight...and ofc u don't see them getting out of bed to attend to him during the night...

TwiceAsNice Wed 24-Jul-19 23:09:29

Your baby your routine. Yes it is nice for them to do things for the children if they live far away but if your baby is distressed and wants you just go over and take him back. I can’t believe they are being so unreasonable , they are being mean to the children just to have their own way, that’s not loving! They are YOUR children !

Hetty58 Wed 24-Jul-19 23:16:47

Nmmaikra, you wrote:
'I barely get to spend time with my son' which I took as your resenting them taking over. When I was young I respected my elders, however inconvenient or painful that was - and it really was. Has that gone out of fashion?

A one year old doesn't need the constant attention of his mother. If you were working, he'd be in a nursery. You are being unreasonable if you expect your routine to work perfectly, like clockwork, with guests in your house. How about concentrating on being a good host?

I have enough sense to get along nicely with my DILs and SILs and always ask how I can help, respect their rules and routines etc. and avoid criticism. However, I do expect them to treat me well too - and they do. It's all in stark contrast to my upbringing and experience of motherhood, though.

I'd never tell them but they all come across as spoilt, self-indulgent, self-important and sometimes clueless. I button my lip and I'm kind as I still can't help liking them all. (I blame their parents). They are very mindful of their rights but forget that rights always come with responsibilities.

Your in-laws are here from abroad for ten days. You should be able to cope with good grace. At least they're not living with you!

GoodMama Wed 24-Jul-19 23:37:49

Nmmaikra, do not listen to these other posters. A baby only needs their mother. A toddler is very attached to their parents. These grandparents are strangers to your children. Of course the kids are upset and you are worried. You're a good mom.
MIL and FIL are selfish and don't care about you or your children. They only care about their own selfish wants. They are putting their own wants and pleasure above the comforts of a post-partum mom and her children. It's shameful.

There is no excusing their behavior.

I wouldn't engage posters on here who are attacking you and defending her despicable behavior.

"Respecting your elders" is crap. People earn respect, it's not given because you are old or share DNA. It's earned, and it can easily be taken away.

"A one year old doesn't need the constant attention of his mother. If you were working, he'd be in a nursery. You are being unreasonable if you expect your routine to work perfectly, like clockwork, with guests in your house. How about concentrating on being a good host?"

This is possibly the most ridiculous comment I've ever read. This person knows NOTHING about children or relationships.

Let's break this down, shall we?

-A one year old MOST CERTAINLY needs the constant attention of their mother, especially when they are strangers in their home, in their face causing nothing by havoc.

-If you were working he would be in a nursery, where we would develop attachment and trust with his caregivers, who are trained, experiences and knowledgeable in baby.toddler development. Your MIL is none of these things. She is just an uncaring stranger who is causing him stress.

-Routines are important and critical for little ones. Everyone who raised a child or works in childcare knows this. Yes, you stick to your routine. Why wouldn't you?! It should be easy, with her in your home 24/7, it's not like she's trying to squeeze in a whole visit in an hour and therefore disrupting his naptime. She's staying in your home 24 hours a day for 10 days. There is pleeennnnnty of time for her to play with your child during his normal waking hours. Disrupting his schedule is unnecessary and cruel to the kiddo.

-You have not packed this woman's bags and set them on the curb, even though she deserves it. This restraint shows you are and AMAZING HOST. What is going on here is this woman is a rude, unreasonable and disrespectful GUEST.

Now, if you just want to get through this visit, I understand.

However, I would get you and your husband to couples therapy. If he feels as bad as you say he does and he just needs help standing up to her than go to therapy. And do not schedule another visit until you are on the same page.

Callistemon Thu 25-Jul-19 00:04:15

Your post is not helpful goodmama and is feeding into the OP's anxieties.

Try to be calmly assertive, Nmmaikra, take your son for his naps and ask them to watch the baby, make coffee for you all, go to the shops, whatever while you settle him.

The only way they will get to know each other is by spending time together and no, it is not absolutely essential for a toddler to spend 24/7 with his mother and she is nearby anyway. Routines are desirable but not essential and they will soon be gone home again.

Oswin Thu 25-Jul-19 00:50:11

Hetty yes thankfully we no longer think it's ok to treat people like servants because they married your son. They are bullying her in her own home.
Critical of her parenting. Keeping the baby awake. Leaving mess for a new mother.

Absolutely none of the posts show the op as selfish and if you behave like the in laws here you need to sort yourself out.

GoodMama Thu 25-Jul-19 02:38:19

Callistemon, you are wrong. My posts are supporting her and letting her know her feelings are valid. And that she and DH need to do something about MIL before there is no relationship at all.

And no, a 1 year old does not need to bond with someone who they won’t remember because she visits so rarely (thank goodness).

MIL should be calm, quiet and let him come to her. She has 10 days to gently let him warm up to her. Forcing herself on him, disrupting his routine and being rude to his mom is not helpful or ok. I’m shocked you would think it is acceptable behavior.

The truth is, this is the kind of behavior that creates estrangement. And a lot of the advice on here is for OP to just accept MIL’a behavior and wait out the visit. Except, that’s not how people work. OP will worry about this, stress about the next visit. She will become resentful of MIL and of her own DH. This is already happening. I’m not feeding her fears, I’m hearing her fears and letting her know to act now to prevent this from getting worse.

Advising her to put up with it, grit her teeth, aren’t helpful. They are harmful to the OP and to MIL.

MIL needs to learn how to be a respectful MIL, grandmother and mother to an adult son. Since she hasn’t come by this naturally, she will need to be taught.

If OP wants to be kind to MIL and to DH she needs to be clear with them about her expectations and behavior that is acceptable to her. And there needs to be consequences should MIL misbehave.

This is a big issue. Some MILa on here just don’t want to see it because it’s not what they want. They want to play mommy to someone else’s baby. They are resentful their “baby boys” are now adults with wives who are important to them. They want to be their boys #1. They want to put the wife “in her place”. They want to get their warm and fuzzies from a baby and they don’t care how much it upsets the baby or the baby’s mom.

These women need to get lives of their own. MIL had a tradition when DH was growing up that she bakes a bday cake. That’s great, what wonderful memories for her and DH.
But now MIL has decided that she will create a new tradition of baking someone else’s child bday cake.

You don’t get to put your traditions on other people. OP and DH are their own family, creating their own traditions and memories. They are not part of MIL’s family.

I know people here don’t like to hear that, but it’s true. MIL has no say, influence, rights, or expectations on OP’s children.

None.

Minimizing OP’s feelings will only cause her to become more resentful. And will only allow the issues to fester. Then the relationship will be over.

The responsible thing, the respectful thing, the kind thing to do is call out MIL, teach her how to be a MIL and GM and give her consequences when she acts up so she can learn.

Then maybe, maybe, a relationship can be saved and rebuilt.

But brushing it all under the rug will almost guarantee a cut off in the future.

Just read this board and you’ll see I’m right.

Mealybug Thu 25-Jul-19 03:09:10

I would ask them to stay in a local B & B next time and just say that space is short and it's a lot of work with two small children, it would be easier all round. Also make sure your husband is around to take them out on specific trips planned in advance so you know where you're up to. The presents I would just accept through gritted teeth but the cake should have been yours to sort out. When my daughter was born we went to stay with my MIL for a week or two as I had post natal depression and hubby had anxiety problems. She took over the care of my daughter and I didn't get a say in what she wore or anything else. The final straw was when I was bathing her and she took her off me and ordered me to go and get her clean clothes. I was grateful of the help but felt I was being told off like a naughty teenager, so you need to take control and tell her where to go in a nice way of course lol.

NfkDumpling Thu 25-Jul-19 07:13:59

Goodmama’s ‘Imagines’ are spot on!

I expect that your in laws have no idea of the hurt they are causing. They apparently come from a level of society where status and standards count above all else. What you wear, eat, possess is everything and shows who you are. And they obviously want to spend every available minute with their grandchildren as they rarely see them. BUT....

This visit may only be for ten days, but how would you and yours cope if it was for six months?!

Why has your DH not taken time off work to spend with them? Surely his parents want to see him too and vice versa? He does have to be the one to sort this out and it will need to be handled with care. To a certain extent you don’t want to shot the goose which lays the golden egg!!

Callistemon Thu 25-Jul-19 09:41:44

You're putting your own interpretation on my posts goodmama.

I didn't tell the OP to grit her teeth and put up with it - I told her to be calmly assertive for her own sake and that of the new baby and suggested some coping mechanisms.

Your methods seem to be heading for estrangement and counselling, which I know are becoming increasingly popular amongst some younger people.
Rather sad that you do not consider grandparents to be part of the family.

The DH should have a quiet word with his parents and tell them their behaviour is overwhelming.

Callistemon Thu 25-Jul-19 09:43:16

you'll see I'm right
grin

In your opinion.

Febmummaofaboy Thu 25-Jul-19 10:01:22

There have been so many documentaries recently about how bad baby wipes are so try not to take offense about the bath in the sink.

With the nice clothes and shoes. Although rude, you have to think if you had the money you would buy the best of everything. If they want to spend money on your babies then good!

The cake. Tell her you loved her idea of baking every cake for her son and you will be doing the same and baking all your son's birthday cakes. If she says it's her tradition tell her her son's birthday in a jokey way and leave the room.

Entitled people won't notice if you are happy or sad. You being upset unfortunately only affects your immediate family and not them. Choose your words carefully but pull them up on things you don't like. Sitting back and building a list of issues will only upset you more. You have a new baby and you need to stand up for your beliefs and your boys thanks

Callistemon Thu 25-Jul-19 10:54:12

Exactly, Febmummaofaboy - a sensible post from someone whom I presume is a young mum.

trisher Thu 25-Jul-19 11:28:16

Wow GoodMama do you perhaps think you are working out your own issues under the guise of offering advice?
Nmmaikra Your MIL sounds a nightmare, but you should be very proud of yourself because you have opened your home to your husband's parents and without much support from him. In return they have undermined you and disrespected your values. The cake is a real clue the woman doesn't want to let go of being mother and is trying to replace her son with yours. What can you do? You can try constantly telling her but I have the feeling she won't hear you. You could cut off all contact but for those who do that there will be isues in the future when the child grows up and asks questions. You need to develop a strategy that empowers you. this may involve organising events and just telling MIL what she will be doing. It may involve introducing 'accidents' which happen unfortunately to things like the cake (I know it's a bit childish but it's amazing what a buzz you get when you disrupt the plans of a controlling individual). You may have to be very direct and instead of clearing up actually ask her to do something. We women often suffer in resentful silence thinking the other person understands how we feel but sometimes they don't. Finlly can you try to build a better bond with your DH about this so that perhaps after they have left you can both begin to see something funny about things and this truly dreadful woman. You are obviously a caring loving person don't let this woman with her twisted values, seperation problems and sheer rudeness undermine you. You are the better person.

GoodMama Thu 25-Jul-19 13:55:01

Nmmaikra, I hope you are doing well and MIL and FIL take a day trip today so you will get the space you need to be comfortable with your children in your home.

Couples therapy has been put down on this thread by previous posters, but I want to make sure you know something. Therapy is not bad, I'd even say it's never bad. An objective third party's guidance and advice, especially in emotional and heated matters is always a good thing.

People who put down therapy or "don't believe in it" know they are likely to be told they are wrong. They know that the other party is likely to have the position validated. So they put down the whole concept.

The current generation of moms and dads did not create the idea of therapy. It's just not taboo to talk about it anymore. You'd be surprised how many people have been. Just a little tuning up. How anyone can put down the idea and effort to fix a problem, rather than let it fester, is beyond me.

That being said, I think it's critical you and DH get some couples therapy asap. It can save your marriage and help you two be a team.

You said earlier in one of your posts: "yes my DH does not have any more time take off work. He feels horrible and is understanding but I think afraid to ruin his relationship with his parents. He has talked to his parents in the past and nothing changes."

This statement is why I suggest therapy for you both. DH and his parents do not have a healthy relationship. He is allowing his mother to abuse his wife to keep his mother's love. It's common in relationships like this. MIL is pretty controlling and I'm' DH has spent his life keeping her happy. The problem is that now you and DH should be keeping each other happy. MIL's hold on DH is preventing him from doing what he wants to do (support you and his children) but he just isn't capable yet.

You and DH are in the FOG (Fear, Obligation, Guilt) with MIL and FIL. You don't enjoy their company, you are uncomfortable with them around your children, yet you allowed them to come live at your home for 10 days. DH feels horrible with how its gong but FEAR is preventing him from doing something perfectly reasonable, setting boundaries with his mom. Because he know that is he does she will take her "love" away. He was raised this way by her. It's very sad. You guys are both putting up with them because you feel OBLIGATED to (i.e. they are his parents), even though they are incredibly rude and inconsiderate of you. You would never put up with this from friends, why put up with it from MIL?

"Family" should treat you better than friends and other people. Not worse.

Going to therapy does not nuke the relationship. It isn't starting on a path to estrangement. It's the opposite in fact. Going to therapy will give you and DH the tools and communication skills to be a united team. It will teach you guys how to communicate with MIL and give her appropriate consequences for her bad behavior so she can learn, change her ways and remain someone you occasionally visit with. Of course, it won't be in the way MIL likes or wants. She won't be allowed to take over and control every environment she's in. But, she's wrong and continuing to behave this way will only put hurt and resentment between these two families. Which in the long run will result in estrangement and strain on your marriage.

Therapy is a great way to get everyone to a place where they can be satisfied with the relationship. However, it's up to MIL to decide what's more important to her - a relationship with her son and his family OR getting her way.

Neither you nor DH can make that decision for her. But you can get the skills and assistance to be a united team and remain a couple.

There are all kinds of therapists out there. I would recommend vetting therapists and finding one who specializes in "leave and cleave" (a biblical reference to what happens when we marry, we "leave our families of origin, and cleave to our new family (i.e. wife/husband) or a therapist who specializes in addiction. Addiction therapists can be very helpful in these cases because they can set aside the DNA/blood ties and look at the people as individuals and building healthy relationships regardless of ties.

Hugs to you. I sent you a PM message of support. Feel free to let me know if you need anything.

I'm in your corner and believe it or not I'm in MIL's corner too. I think she will want a relationship with you all over being in control, she's just never been pushed back on. She needs help and support to fix this so int he long run she can be in your lives. It won't be easy for her to learn, but please believe she can until/unless she proves otherwise. You and DH just need the right support and tools to help her.

GoodMama Thu 25-Jul-19 14:06:20

Quick clarification after I re-read my last post. I'm not saying to go to therapy WITH MIL. That's not what I'm saying, I was worried it might be interpreted that way.

Marriage counseling is just for the couple. MIL is not in your marriage.

I was just saying that by you two being a united front will help you both stand string in setting boundaries and consequences for MIL so she can learn.

She shouldn't even know you two are in therapy. It's none of her business.

smile

loopyloo Thu 25-Jul-19 14:28:10

I think you need to use quiet repetition with this woman. Of course she should not be interfering with the little one's routine.
And if she persists in this, I would start to threaten that they would have to stay in a hotel.
And this business about respecting older generations....It does not give them the right to be so overbearing.