Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What should I do with these potatoes?

(35 Posts)
phoenix Sun 04-Aug-19 18:48:17

Hello all, could do with some advice!

Last night I prepared some new potatoes, (well, I cut them into the right size and put them in a pan of lightly salted cold water blush) for various reasons, they didn't get cooked.

They are still in a pan (with lid on) on the hob, and won't get used tonight either.

I really don't want to waste them, and they won't go with tomorrows lasagne!

Any suggestions?

Mossfarr Sun 04-Aug-19 18:50:43

boil them, mash them and put in the freezer until you feel like making cottage pie, fish pie or anything else you fancy with a mashed potato topping!

Callistemon Sun 04-Aug-19 18:52:17

Some people prepare veg for the whole week and put it in the fridge.
Can you put them in a bowl of plain water in the fridge if there's room? Or just cook them then use them sautéed on Tuesday?

Fennel Sun 04-Aug-19 18:54:40

Boil them and make a potato salad.
Put mayonnaise into a container and add the precooked potatoes. Also, if you like, some chopped spring onions and pickled gherkins.
Keeps in the fridge for a few days.

Pantglas1 Sun 04-Aug-19 18:55:28

Callistemon is right, cook them now and either sauté on Tuesday or turn into potato salad and eat within a couple of days.

Callistemon Sun 04-Aug-19 18:55:45

Or a garlicky oil and vinegar mix on the cooked potatoes.

Riverwalk Sun 04-Aug-19 18:57:17

Am I missing something here Phoenix - why would you need to waste them?

Either cook, cool and put in the fridge until Tuesday or just rinse, pat dry and put in fridge until Tuesday.

Or have you done something else to them that you can't admit to grin

phoenix Sun 04-Aug-19 19:17:18

Riverwalk, no, not guilty of any form of potato abuse!

I have been told that I make a pretty good potato salad, but as I think it is absolutely bleurgh, and the only other person currently in the house is Mr P, he would either have to bathe in it or eat it for a week...........

Mossfarr new potatoes don't make good mash!

Callistemon I think I will give your suggestion a try, there is room in the fridge, so I will change the water, bung the pan in the fridge and take it from there!

Thanks to all who replied.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Aug-19 19:29:30

No problem use them when you want to they aren’t going to go off ?

BradfordLass72 Mon 05-Aug-19 08:53:53

Phoenix you are having a bad time!

First the cling film gets you all unwrapped, now you're asking for help with potatoes! Are you losing it, girl?

Here are a few suggestions:

**Shove one into the vehicle exhaust pipe of anyone you particularly want to delay - and irritate the hell out of.

**Load them into a slingshot and fire at the evil magpies, parking meter attendants or stray cats which menace your own dear pussy willums.

**Secret one carefully in aany public building in a place no one can find and then wait to hear the complaints about the smell. Charge a lot for solving the problem.

**Shove them down your bra - much cheaper than a silicone implant.

** Carve them into fantastic shapes and sell the on eBay as "unique eco-friendly art work".

** Dip them in resin and use them as door stops.

** This is really outlandish but well worth a thought. Fry them up with an egg for a wonderful breakfast.

Blinko Mon 05-Aug-19 10:13:06

You could always wrap em in that cling film...

Blinko Mon 05-Aug-19 10:19:09

Sorry, I was thinking of my five boxes.

inishowen Mon 05-Aug-19 11:32:46

I would make potato salad. Add some chopped spring onions and mayo.

allule Mon 05-Aug-19 11:36:51

BradfordLass72

This is where I really want a 'like' button wink

jaylucy Mon 05-Aug-19 12:03:52

Boil them and either make potato salad, saute them or freeze them either as they are or mash and freeze

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 05-Aug-19 12:09:40

BradfordLass ???

HazelG Mon 05-Aug-19 14:49:01

Cook and freeze for another day.

WildRoses Mon 05-Aug-19 15:09:09

Potato wedges. Little bit of seasoning, little bit of oil, bung them in the oven.

minxie Mon 05-Aug-19 15:17:46

Par boil and freeze for roasters

willa45 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:35:24

Slice them in wedges, cook them halfway and drain. Mix with enough salt/pepper, milk, grated cheese and butter to make a casserole. Add the cheese mix to the potatoes and blend well. Drop the entire mixture into a well oiled baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and then tinfoil. Pop in the freezer until ready to use. Add a crumb topping (optional) and bake at 350F for about an hour.

andiacc1 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:49:01

I'm hungry now...yummy..fried egg and new pots. Lovely xxx

Wiltshiregrams Mon 05-Aug-19 17:10:07

Cook them now then when ready to use, cut into bite size pieces and sprinkle extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Toss well to coat with the oil and cook in oven on about 170. They will brown and taste delicious.

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 17:13:21

BradfordLass haha, all very practical suggestions.?

M0nica Mon 05-Aug-19 17:14:01

Cook and freeze them.

Riverwalk Mon 05-Aug-19 18:30:59

Use them to pelt those who didn't read the OP properly grin

New potatoes don't make good mash and are a bit small for wedges!