Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What should I do with these potatoes?

(36 Posts)
phoenix Sun 04-Aug-19 18:48:17

Hello all, could do with some advice!

Last night I prepared some new potatoes, (well, I cut them into the right size and put them in a pan of lightly salted cold water blush) for various reasons, they didn't get cooked.

They are still in a pan (with lid on) on the hob, and won't get used tonight either.

I really don't want to waste them, and they won't go with tomorrows lasagne!

Any suggestions?

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 18:34:33

they are nice sautéed though!!
Or cooked and dressed in a garlicky olive oil/nice vinegar.

I did read the OP smile

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 18:35:16

Riverwalk apparently "crushed new potatoes" are very in at the moment.
Not that I have crushed any myself.

Riverwalk Mon 05-Aug-19 18:38:26

Indeed Callistemon but crushed are more squashed than mashed - rather like mashed avocado is now described as smashed! hmm

Purpledaffodil Mon 05-Aug-19 18:54:17

Only yesterday I made crushed new potatoes for the first time! Boiled until tender with mint, drained, then crushed with fork gently and a good glug of olive oil. Tasted great and could be put in fridge and microwaved in a couple of days. But not covered in cling film obviously ?

Pantglas1 Mon 05-Aug-19 21:05:54

My daughter insists that avocado is ‘smashed’ and new potatoes are ‘crushed’..... too many cookery programmes and not enough cooking methinks!

BradfordLass72 Mon 05-Aug-19 21:39:27

Do you want to hear something unbearably sad?

Since I came back to New Zealand I have never seen, let alone been able to buy, proper new potatoes. They don't seem to exist.

Kiwis don't know what they are missing.

But I do. sad

GreenGran78 Tue 06-Aug-19 00:29:47

Bradfordlass2 when we only ate things that were ‘in season’ the first new potatoes of the year were such a treat. What a shame that you can’t get them in NZ. I have a similar problem in Australia when my DD asks for home-made apple pie. It’s impossible to buy any kind of baking apples over there, let alone Bramleys. How can you bake a decent pie using eating apples?

crazyH Tue 06-Aug-19 00:52:25

My neighbours given a good few pounds of cooking apples . I will peel them, stew them and eat it with custard. No apple pie for me.

crazyH Tue 06-Aug-19 00:59:25

The OP was asking about new potatos. Well, boil them , strain them. Meanwhile heat a couple of tbsps of oil. When hot, drop a pinch of cumminseed (not powder), a teeny bit of chilli powder and teeny amount of garlic paste (optional) and salt. Serve with steak, chicken or fish.

HillyN Tue 06-Aug-19 20:41:01

Do kids still have spud guns? Maybe your GCs would welcome them as ammo? grin