Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What are you drinking right now?

(247 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 05-Aug-19 18:48:05

I'm on the wagon (ish) so just having a yet another bloody lovely cup of tea smile

Used to be a lovely chilled dry white wine but one has to make sacrifices in search of the body beautiful!

EllanVannin Fri 09-Aug-19 13:16:30

Arabica coffee here.

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 18:02:04

With so many interesting and varied soft drinks available about, why go hunting for alcoholic drinks with no alcohol.

It is like the way Vegans give up animal products and then buy all kinds of highly processed products because they have meatlike qualities like texture and flavour.

merlotgran Fri 09-Aug-19 18:29:38

I couldn't agree more M0nica. When DH was on antibiotics for a month last year some friends called round and presented him with a bottle of non alcoholic red wine. It was disgusting but we had to pretend to like it. Apple juice spritzer is our favourite soft drink.

MissAdventure Fri 09-Aug-19 18:30:40

Iced water.
Too hot for tea.
Got the kettle on though.

gillybob Fri 09-Aug-19 19:35:03

why go hunting for alcoholic drinks with no alcohol

Because sometimes people who are not able to drink alcohol for whatever reason, might want a special celebratory drink M0nica . Which is how I came across the Sainsbury’s sparkling wine . It really is a lovely refreshing drink .

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 20:27:25

But why does a celebratory drink have to be alcoholic?

I am not teetotal, but I simply do not understand the obsession with alcohol.

Marydoll Fri 09-Aug-19 20:29:45

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and the groom's mum has bought me a bottle of no alcohol Prosecco to toast the happy couple.
It was very kind of her, as I'm no longer allowed alcohol sad, and didn't want me to feel left out at the toasts.
She also knows I miss my Friday night fizz!

gillybob Fri 09-Aug-19 20:36:55

That’s exactly my point Marydoll it’s not about “an obsession with alcohol”
It’s about the sense of occasion that one feels having a glass of champagne, Prosecco or whatever . Not quite the same as raising a glass of juice or Coca Cola .

I hope you have a lovely day btw . smile

annsixty Fri 09-Aug-19 20:40:37

I am staying with my D for a few days.
We have just been to a local pub for a bar meal, it was very nice and I had a large glass of Australian Shiraz which hit the spot.
Ì will have white with our meal in tomorrow when we are cooking Pasta carbonara.
I have no problem with people drinking or choosing not to as long as they make no attempt to convert me to their particular point of view.
At the age of 82 I will decide for myself, I love a glass of wine.

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 20:43:33

Well, when I am in France I buy bottles of fizzy apple and other juice packed in bottles like champagne bottles, and much the same colour. It has all the pzazz of opening a bottle of champagne etc and it tastes delicious.

I buy these ostensibly for the GC, to drink when celebrating, but more often than not DD and I share the non-alcoholic bottle with the children, rather than the alcoholic fizz with the 'adults'. You do not need to consume alcohol to get a sense of occasion, it is all the stuff around the contents of the bottle that causes that, not the contents themselves.

The alternatives are not just glasses of fruit juice or colas

gillybob Fri 09-Aug-19 20:49:05

That was the point I was trying to make all along M0nica confused I buy bottles of alcohol free fizz that anyone can enjoy and feel that sense of occasion when we “ pop the cork “ smile

MissAdventure Fri 09-Aug-19 20:51:05

I want a cup of tea!
Too tired to go and make it.

janipat Fri 09-Aug-19 20:52:08

M0nica if you like the taste of beer for example and want that taste as a refreshing cold drink on a sunny afternoon, an alcohol free one enables you to drink without compromising your ability to drive, operate machinery etc. There are some excellent non-alcoholic versions these days that are indistinguishable from their alcoholic counterparts. A different soft drink is not going to taste like beer.

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 21:01:38

I do like the taste of beer and on a hot day will drink a shandy, but I have yet to taste a decent non-alcoholic beer, even in shandy.

You are still safe to drive after a pint of shandy. If you are drinking enough not to be safe to drive then either drink something else or hand the keys to someone else. Life is full of choices and compromises.

We had a day out on the Queen Mary 2 on Sunday, we had a champagne reception before lunch and I had a glass of champagne and then regretted it because then I couldn't have a glass of the very good red wine served with the lunch, which I would have preferred, not just because I was driving but because I cannot drink more than one glass of wine these days without feeling ill and having had the champagne, that was my limit for the day.

MissAdventure Fri 09-Aug-19 21:03:39

Oh I do like a bitter shandy about once every 5 years or so.

dragonfly46 Fri 09-Aug-19 21:10:12

An Aperol Spritz - very refreshing!

grannylyn65 Fri 09-Aug-19 21:22:34

Diet Coke

Pantglas1 Sat 10-Aug-19 06:36:19

Breakfast tea in a ginormous mug. Sets me up for the day!

gillybob Sat 10-Aug-19 08:09:15

A cup of good old Yorkshire Tea which tastes so much nicer at the weekend. No hurry to get up as it’s lashing down outside.

EllanVannin Sat 10-Aug-19 08:17:02

Just on my second cup of " navvie's " tea. I like it strong. I have to bleach the inside of the cup now and again smile

janipat Sat 10-Aug-19 12:02:52

M0nica I expect you are safe to drive after one shandy, but I prefer my beer just as beer. I have a rule for myself if I'm going to drive or operate machinery ( lawnmower etc), zero alcohol. I know it's not strictly necessary, just my preference and choice. Have you tried Nanny State by Brew Dog?