Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gc lacking in life skills.

(104 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:04:43

10 yr old asked for sausage roll for lunch today. I heated it and wrapped it in a napkin so that he could eat it in front of tv.Came into room 10 mins later and he hadn't touched it. It needs to be cut up! Still didn't eat it. Seagulls had it. I asked him to put my bin out and he said he didn't know where it went.His mum still cuts up his dinner so I said nothing.

sodapop Fri 09-Aug-19 13:25:58

Pppractically perfect in every way GabriellaG54

GabriellaG54 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:32:32

I wonder why you chose to criticise my comment out of all the others who made the same observations.

GabriellaG54 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:34:07

Discrimination or what...
Says it all about you.

nanamac77 Fri 09-Aug-19 13:34:37

My bugbear is chldren of 2,3, or even 4 years old who are allowed to wander round with a dummy in their mouth . I've even seen them speak with said object in mouth - though naturally it's pretty unintelligible!

inishowen Fri 09-Aug-19 13:53:45

My 7 year old GD won't use a knife and fork. It horrifies me to see her picking everything up with her fingers. I remember standing behind my children with my hands on top of theirs and showing them how to cut up their food and eat with cutlery. Do mums not do that now?

Bijou Fri 09-Aug-19 14:16:26

When my son was seven he said he had to take some cakes for the school Christmas party. He made them himself.

dogsmother Fri 09-Aug-19 14:42:34

Wow....I’m awaiting the grandchildren, but I’m certainly going to be the naughtiest gran ever much maligned by you all!
I’m probably going to sit in front of the tv with the 10 year old who I will have already taught plenty of bad habits to. Although I dare say he would probably have had to make them with me first of all.

Rosina Fri 09-Aug-19 15:09:55

What does he do at school - ask someone to cut his food up? What a rod his other is making for both their backs!

petalmoore Fri 09-Aug-19 15:12:56

Were the seagulls in the sitting room? Seriously, are we all sure that the grandson wasn’t told to wait for permission before starting to eat?

Musicgirl Fri 09-Aug-19 15:22:30

I always remember when my daughter was a little over a year old and we were having Sunday dinner with a lot of older relatives. I felt very much on show. Thankfully she sat on a booster seat and had a small portion of what everyone else was eating which she ate beautifully with a spoon and fork. This was a little over twenty years ago. I find it almost beyond belief that a child of ten could not cut a sausage roll.

kircubbin2000 Fri 09-Aug-19 15:47:50

Petalmoore the sea gulls unfortunately perch on the roof.They know I sometimes feed the stray cat in the back yard.

4allweknow Fri 09-Aug-19 16:15:07

My lot were certainly able to heat a sausage roll and eat it by age 10. By age 12 they all had to be able to prepare and cook a simple meal for the 5 of us. They would select something and I ensured all the ingredients were available. Usually for a Saturday evening. They still remember the fun they had with the cooking then all of us having to eat whatever was produced. DS suggested this to his 16 year old DSS to improve his life skills. Went down like a lead balloon - too busy!

Mardler123 Fri 09-Aug-19 16:29:46

Son of a friend first year at University, called her to ask for a toaster. When she suggested he use the grill he replied tat it was no good as it only did one side. You have to laugh.?

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 17:27:57

Well, from birth I greeted every little step my DC made towards independence with cheers and encouraged them all the way. I did nothing for them, if they could do it for themselves.

I was never, nor ever wanted to be, defined by motherhood. Lets face it there is nothing remarkable about being a parent. It is something most people achieve..

Callistemon Fri 09-Aug-19 17:41:58

dogsmother you may think that will make you a popular granny but you could become an unpopular MIL.

And you could find that your DGC may one day start telling you off for bad manners.

However, I will take it that your post is jokey!

merlotgran Fri 09-Aug-19 17:48:45

Bad grandmother of the decade signing in...…..

When I used to have the DGSs after school I would often let them have a snack (sausage rolls count as a snack in my house) in front of the telly. We would watch Pointless or something similar.

They always ate proper meals at the table but I would never have made a big deal about cutting up a sausage roll for them (less mess for a start)

Granny's house was for chilling out.

jura2 Fri 09-Aug-19 17:55:03

nought wrong with having a snack in front of TV merlot.

merlotgran Fri 09-Aug-19 17:56:28

So why is everyone up in arms about the OP then, confused

BlueBelle Fri 09-Aug-19 18:05:25

I m not at all worried by a sausage roll on a plate in front of the TV but the fact that a 10 year old won’t eat unless it’s cut up for him is the concern......but in a later post kircunnin says she went round to tea and he sat at a table and cut his own food so it’s seems it’s not the mother but the grandmother that’s causing the lazy ‘looked after’ grandchild

Kryssie Fri 09-Aug-19 18:09:38

My two year old granddaughter tells me which bin to put which rubbish in and where to find the things she wants to eat. She eats with a spoon and fork. I will admit to cutting up her food, but it won't be long before it's "Ella do"i

kircubbin2000 Fri 09-Aug-19 18:31:13

?

jura2 Fri 09-Aug-19 18:35:49

a snack is not the same as lunch- no?

Maggiemaybe Fri 09-Aug-19 18:46:21

Well, if * kircubbin* saw him eating his tea beautifully later the same day, perhaps he just wasn't hungry. Or maybe he just wasn't used to eating when not at the table.

It seems all's well that ends well. smile

Riggie Fri 09-Aug-19 19:03:04

Why does a sausage roll even need cutting up - just pick it up in the napkin and bite!!

MissAdventure Fri 09-Aug-19 19:07:05

I was thinking that too.
Seems a lot of fuss over it.