Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gc lacking in life skills.

(104 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:04:43

10 yr old asked for sausage roll for lunch today. I heated it and wrapped it in a napkin so that he could eat it in front of tv.Came into room 10 mins later and he hadn't touched it. It needs to be cut up! Still didn't eat it. Seagulls had it. I asked him to put my bin out and he said he didn't know where it went.His mum still cuts up his dinner so I said nothing.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 11-Aug-19 08:37:39

No wonder some children are so lacking in basic abilities if they are so ridiculously mollycoddled. It's not doing them any favours.

A little bit of practice will do the world of good but you don't need me to to tell you that.

One day they'll have to stand on their own two feet.

Hithere Sun 11-Aug-19 13:40:20

"He's just lazy. His Mum had me round for tea yesterday. We sat at the table and she made him eat everything. He even cut it up himself!I'm more relaxed with him although other gran is a bit of a dragon."

That is what I was thinking, he can for sure cut his own food but he was testing what he could get away with.

If somebody can do it for me, why do it myself?

Christingle Mon 12-Aug-19 09:13:25

I am often shocked at how grandchildren are bought up. However at the end of the day it’s none of our business. I’ve been told this and suppose it’s correct. ☹️ In my house though it’s my rules, and unless they totally go against parents wishes they are abided by. Kids are not at all independent, reply on Mum for everything. How on earth can they learn and make good or bad choices in their lives? I used to think I could change things but I can’t, so mostly now just keep quiet, unless I’m asked an opinion!