Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Head lice treatment.

(37 Posts)
Howjado Tue 13-Aug-19 10:53:08

Please help. I am standing on the chemist looking at the array of head lice treatments on the shelf. Which one work?

Caleo Thu 04-Aug-22 13:17:30

My daughter in law got rid of head lice in her children by a combination of fine tooth combing with the help of conditioner, and tea tree shampoo. She had to persevere of course as the eggs(nits) hatch out into beasts and so it takes a little time to comb these out too.

You will find the eggs (nits) mostly behind the ears. These can be removed manually with cotton wool saturated with vinegar. You slide the cotton wool and vinegar down the hair shaft and the vinegar dissolves the glue that sticks the eggs to the hair so they slide off easily.

Witzend Thu 04-Aug-22 12:56:57

What does it matter if it’s an old thread? My Gdcs are currently being treated for nits, and I picked up a few while they were staying last week, so I’m interested to read of any treatments. We’ve gone for conditioner and nit comb so far.

ExDancer Thu 04-Aug-22 12:50:52

Read the post bymokrena THIS POST WAS STARTED IN 2019

Esmay Thu 04-Aug-22 12:40:52

First wash the hair.

Comb through conditioner and use a nit comb .

Rinse off .

Slightly towel dry .

Mix in a few drops of tea tree oil plus
lavender oil in a leave in condioner and apply generously .

Daddima Thu 04-Aug-22 12:08:19

rubysong

Yes, nit comb and conditioner. I think the Victorians were onto something with their '100 brush strokes every night'. A teacher friend used to say, "If you break their legs they can't lay eggs." (That was the legs of the lice, not the children.)

That made me giggle!

I remember the Lorexane lotion, which had to be left on for about two days, and I even remember my granny dousing my hair in paraffin.
I always thought the ‘nits’ were the eggs, and the beasties were called lice.

wildswan16 Thu 04-Aug-22 11:48:37

Reported knockoutlice.

crazyH Thu 04-Aug-22 11:40:29

Wish I knew about conditioner, when my granddaughter was little

knockoutlice Thu 04-Aug-22 11:33:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Ali08 Tue 22-Feb-22 04:07:09

Oh and change pillowcases.

Ali08 Tue 22-Feb-22 04:05:33

SirChenjin

Forget the treatments, they often don't work - combing small sections of hair using a nit comb and lots of conditioner is the best way of dealing with them. The NHS website recommends 1, 5, 9 and 13 to catch any newly hatched head lice and then checking again that everyone's hair is free of lice on day 17.

Or even baby oil, which is also a good treatment for hair.
Wet the hair, rub in some baby oil, brush through then get that nit comb through it!
Once finished, shampoo as normal.
This is a bit like the hot oil treatments. And you can see more of the little buggers in the oil!
Remember to let the school & other parents know that you have treated the children!

Granmarderby10 Mon 21-Feb-22 00:26:29

Lyclear Cream Rinse: 1 Wash hair in normal shampoo and rinse 2 Smother hair in contents of bottle and wait 10 minutes
3 Rinse thoroughly.
The only lice left will be dead‘ns
Job Done (repeat on every other member of the household)

mokryna Mon 21-Feb-22 00:17:07

Howjado must of solved the problem as dated 2019

Callistemon21 Sun 20-Feb-22 22:55:40

???
On that note I shall retire to the land of Nod!

rubysong Sun 20-Feb-22 22:54:44

Yes, nit comb and conditioner. I think the Victorians were onto something with their '100 brush strokes every night'. A teacher friend used to say, "If you break their legs they can't lay eggs." (That was the legs of the lice, not the children.)

Callistemon21 Sun 20-Feb-22 20:41:39

I am going be babysitting my 11 month old granddaughter next Saturday
I would think her Mum would have dealt with it by then.

Humbertbear Sun 20-Feb-22 20:39:10

When the child is lice free use leave in hair conditioner when the hair is washed. Lice can’t cling onto slippery hair

BBbevan Sun 20-Feb-22 19:23:36

ElllanVallin Was. Derbac a black soap?

midgey Sun 20-Feb-22 19:18:35

Some of the lotions are really toxic, I do remember nearly passing out once. Definitely go for conditioner and a nit comb!

Callistemon21 Sun 20-Feb-22 16:29:14

If she has lice you can see them running! and can pick them off. I wouldn't use anything strong on a baby's head, just conditioner and a comb.

Tabby555 Sun 20-Feb-22 16:24:58

I’m basically just looking for some advice.I am going be babysitting my 11 month old granddaughter next Saturday . I think my grandaughter may have headlice!She has a wee friend who I think she may have got them from and it has spread round the family.Has anyone got any good tips so I don’t catch them myself?Do I need to wash clothes and teddies.Plus, she really hates getting her hair washed.As I could try wash her hair and put in conditioner and use a fine tooth comb.Im just wondering how to do this if she doesn’t like getting her hair washed.Im very much looking forward to babysitting my grandaughter, but just anxious about headlice problem.She has very fine hair and doesn’t have much of it. If anyone has any tips I would be very grateful.

MilkyF Wed 14-Apr-21 08:24:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sarahcyn Sun 27-Dec-20 11:38:42

Aren’t kids amazing? Social distancing, lockdown and home-educated all 2020 and they still manage to get Headlice.
I wrote a few parenting books in the Nineties and the only bit I’m really proud of was my thoroughly researched chapter on threadworms and headlice.
The rinse on and off shampoos have done more harm than good because they’ve encouraged resistance in the lice.
The only lotion that worked for us was Derbac but I think it’s either off the market or restricted because it’s a nerve agent or something (you can probably get it in Russia in that case)
Just what @sirChenjin said. Very wet hair well anointed with conditioner. This immobilises the adult lice.
Comb each small section root to tip once only between thorough rinsing of the comb under the tap. Use a proper nitcomb. Best done with kid seated, wrapped warmly, by bathroom basin.
Repeat as advised or every 3-4 days over 15 days, covering a life cycle. Brush kids hair a lot to monitor - also this may help injure new adults.
Don’t bother trying to comb out with dry hair - the lice are too quick.
The “nits” are empty eggs, the only point in removing them is because they are unsightly. Live eggs are laid right at the root of a hair where the human body warmth incubates them and they’re pretty well invisible.
And keep up a regular combing out routine if the kids are in a situation where they might get them.
Good luck.

OliveFox Fri 25-Dec-20 15:35:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BradfordLass72 Wed 14-Aug-19 05:55:25

We use Tea Tree Oil here and I know its sold in the UK, so if what you bought doesn't work, try that.

www.boots.com/boots-tea-tree-oil-20ml-10015945

absent Wed 14-Aug-19 05:30:34

I am not sure whether modern lotions are quite so powerfully toxic as they were in the days when absentdaughter's primary school seemed to be infested with head lice throughout an entire year. Dousing one's child with strong pesticides doesn't seem the healthiest approach. Using a nit comb while the hair is well coated with conditioner is relatively painless, extremely effective but very boring anbd time-consuming.

The problem is that there is always at least one child in the class whose parent either doesn't belive her/his little one has nits/lice or simply can't be bothered to do somethiing about it. Consequently, re-infestation of those with pest-free hair frequently occurs because young children spend a lot of time at school/nursery bending over things with their heads together.