Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Drinking in presence of GC

(32 Posts)
Abi30 Mon 19-Aug-19 21:31:00

As grandparents do you drink alcohol in the presence of your GC?

A bit controversial, especially as everyone’s drinking habits differ from one person to the next anyway. Ive just become uncomfortable with my in-laws drinking habits and the effect it might have on my child, bearing in mind she’s only 5 months old at the moment, so quite vulnerable to be around anyone who isn’t sober. You wouldn’t drink and drive, you wouldn’t hold a baby/look after a child if you weren’t sober IMO, other people might feel differently on what they’re comfortable with and that’s fine for you.

I only ask as it’s just been brought to my attention following a long weekend stay from my in-laws, it was the first time they stayed with us since the birth, with us only having day visits every few weeks beforehand. Unfortunately around 10 beers and a bottle of wine was consumed between the two of them on one afternoon and I felt incredibly uncomfortable with them holding my baby, along with several beer breath mouth kisses on my baby - all big red flags to me! They’d conveniently “forgotten” that I don’t find that acceptable. You wouldn’t do that to anyone else, you shouldn’t do it to a vulnerable baby IMO! I let it slide, deciding to pick my battles, but it’s resulted in a lengthy conversation with my husband and limiting future stays to 1 night only or just allowing day visits as previously planned. We are not going to mention the drinking because they are unlikely to alter their habits as it is their way, and I also don’t want to cause offence by insinuating they drink too much and be blamed for it.

I would love to hear what other grandparents take is on something like this!

Sara65 Sat 24-Aug-19 10:16:05

The problem will be that they probably don’t think they drink too much, what seems excessive to most of us, will seem normal to them, and if you or your husband try and broach the subject, they’ll just become defensive, and act as if it’s you who has the problem

Pantglas1 Sat 24-Aug-19 10:32:02

I think the best way to approach it is not attacking their drinking per se but the fact that they do it whilst looking after the grandchildren.

If they want to drink themselves silly in their own time, that is their business but no one should be drinking in charge of children whether it is parents or grandparents - one person in any group ought to be sober.

trisher Sat 24-Aug-19 10:55:05

Abi30 they are drinking too much and certainly too much to hold a baby. If they visit I suggest you make sure that your house is an alcohol free zone. If they bring it with them hide it away and if they ask say "I thought we'd save that for when x is in bed." If they don't get the message you could try saying you're giving alcohol for so long just before they visit, so please could they not bring any to you.
It's your home and your baby so they should respect your rules.

midgey Sat 24-Aug-19 14:18:31

I agree with Sara, they probably have no idea how much they are drinking. You are totally right not to want them handling your baby, perhaps that will make them think!

BlueSapphire Tue 27-Aug-19 08:42:17

I have been known to open the sherry bottle just before DGDs' pick up time......

Jillybird Tue 27-Aug-19 13:48:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.