Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wind relief!

(83 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 28-Aug-19 12:27:52

Just looking for recommendations for OTC wind relief. At the risk of various hilarious responses, I've always been a bit of a windy bod (my other half will say that's a gross understatement...). I'm particularly a 'night time striker' and Him Indoors is well used to bracing himself and holding down the bedclothes before both are blown away. I'm aware of all the dietary advice and keep away from fatty and spicy food etc and stick to a reasonably healthy diet (does a glass of wine count as one of your 5-a'day?). I think it became worse after having my gall bladder removed about 8 years ago but that might just be my overheated imagination! I used to suffer dreadfully when I was working, having to find excuses to go to unfrequented parts of the building etc as 10 minutes loo visits were embarrassing....). It's not been so bad since I've been retired and no inhibitions to worry about (except Him Indoors and that's his hard luck) so clearly there's an element of stress in it. However the point of this long-winded post (oh dear, excuse the pong, sorry I mean pun), is: I'm shortly going away for a few days with a friend and sharing a hotel room to cut down on costs for us both. I don't wanted strain a beautiful friendship through my abdominal, sorry abominable, nightly rumblings and having to warn her to batten down the hatches and anything else that moves. Just wanted any recommendations for effective fart relief which may have helped anyone else. I await your serious and mocking responses .....

Yorkshiregirl Thu 29-Aug-19 09:42:18

Just check before taking charcoal tablets, as they can effect some medications. Flatulence seems to be a major problem as we age. I would suggest seperate rooms

Gonegirl Thu 29-Aug-19 09:42:34

But it's when you start to leave the room.....

Gonegirl Thu 29-Aug-19 09:42:54

that was in reply to sally

Mamar2 Thu 29-Aug-19 09:49:17

I know it's an awkward situation for you but the humour responses have had me in stitches. If you're really good friends I'd just tell her your worry. Give her the choice of seperate rooms. At least give her a fighting chance.?

Gonegirl Thu 29-Aug-19 09:50:23

I read that it is due to perstalisis (food moving arund gut) slowing down as we get older.

I get no help from Windeze. They just gather the little bits of gas together so it comes out in one big f---.

Not tried charcoal tablets. You have to take so many at a time. And they make your tongue go black.

Gonegirl Thu 29-Aug-19 09:51:58

After reading so much about this on GN, I realise I am not alone with this problem. I now feel entitled to fart. I'm old.

Gonegirl Thu 29-Aug-19 09:53:24

My daughter says it is the way I "own" it that is worse than the sound itself. Just can't keep back the "Oh my God! That was a big one!".

Milorni3 Thu 29-Aug-19 09:53:59

The same here since gall bladder removal but OH has colitis so we can out trump eachother regularly ?

Shortlegs Thu 29-Aug-19 09:59:02

Just enjoy, would be my advice.

EllieB52 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:00:33

I’ve switched to lactose free milk and it has helped but hasn’t totally eliminated it. You need to find your trigger foods. For me it was milk, bananas and lentils. I don’t touch lentils anyway as they give me tummy cramps but I do love bananas - to my cost! The pro/pre biotic supplements also help. If all else fails there is now a range of underwear called Shreddies that is supposed to neutralise the pong before it escapes into the room. Might be worth a look.

sandelf Thu 29-Aug-19 10:02:26

BradfordLass72 - I second all that. Try some digestive enzyme capsules - you can take one with every meal, but I find I only need them for a big/rich meal. Then, IF the enzymes not helped - resort to Rennies DEFLATINE - very good. Also plain self help - no tight belt and try to keep your spine nice and straight. Have a lovely trip.

Cambia Thu 29-Aug-19 10:13:51

Try probiotics for a few weeks in capsule form. I find these help a lot x

jenni123 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:19:15

Wherever you may be
let your wind go free.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:19:24

You yourself mention that it seems to be stress-related, so you could try minimizing the stress by mentioning to your friend that sharing a room is potentially embarrassing, as you have this problem and nothing you have ever tried has helped.

It can't do any harm to be so frank and it might just help.

Jishere Thu 29-Aug-19 10:28:31

Have you consider a daily probiotics?
It could be the overload of toxins in your gut - over a look at diet see where you can improve.

I guess it's better in than out!

Megs36 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:29:52

Really good laugh to start the day; always my problem too. When my dad and mother in law came to visit on the same occasion when they were old bothused to have a problem getting up stairs and both would 'drop one' on each stair, this always resulted in lots of giggling. Guess what - it now has come down to us doing the same now, this includes getting out of low seats, bending down.... It just goes on and on????

NemosMum Thu 29-Aug-19 10:30:45

To those who recommend charcoal tablets - have a care! There have been reports in the medical journals of people overdoing it and causing all sorts of problems in the gut as well as causing malnutrition since it absorbs necessary vitamins and other nutrients.
If you've always been windy, that's one thing, but if you have become windy, go to the doctor: changes in bowel habit, including wind, can be a sign of bowel cancer or other conditions which require medical attention.

Bellocchild Thu 29-Aug-19 10:31:44

I think Windeze tablets are now called Windsetlers. Same product: simeticone.

Megs36 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:45:22

One more ...we were on a beach in Turkey years ago , one where waiters brought drink to your sun bed, my husband sat up to take his drink and let a thundering fart echo round the immediate area, the waiters gave him a round of applause.......???

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 29-Aug-19 11:02:48

Lovely ladies, you have given me some good laughs (Canadiangran - some terrible images sprang to mind ....!). Also thank you all for the suggestions.
Regarding diet, I eat very little meat, except chicken, usually with some form of salad, and very little bread, all in the cause of a less than successful attempt to lose a bit of weight. I only have soya milk in tea, though do eat quite a lot of yoghurt. I have to confess to ignorance about probiotics- are those the little bottles of some sort of milky drink sold in packs in the supermarket?
The trip is actually a motorcycle jolly we're off on. Riding up this Monday and staying overnight, for an early start the next day, for a day on the track. Then staying overnight again after the track day, as will be totally cream-crackered after that.
So unfortunately do have to wear tight trousers as the leathers are a tad tight (hence the diet). I suspect the first night is likely to be the worse, gale-wise, as I've never done this sort of training day before and mixed feelings of excitement and anxiety may fuel the storm!
My friend has a very good sense of humour so I'm just going to confess and make my excuses in advance, (and offer her ear plugs) though will also go down the chemists in a mo for charcoal/Windeze tablets. I'm not on any meds so no worries about them clashing with the charcoal. Getting it all out in the open beforehand so to speak will at least remove that particular bit of stress.
I suppose it might possibly be to my advantage in helping propel my bike round the track a bit quicker! ??

Londonpussycat Thu 29-Aug-19 11:17:12

OMG. I have no solution, apart from clenching those butt cheeks.
I just wanted to say , you brightened my day, very witty lady.
Thank you and enjoy your time away . ??????

nannypiano Thu 29-Aug-19 11:25:18

Perhaps go for an Indian meal, then you will both be as bad as each other.

jaylucy Thu 29-Aug-19 11:45:10

Peppermint oil capsules. If they don't stop the wind, at least it should smell nicer!
Some swear by aloe vera either capsules or liquid

Alexa Thu 29-Aug-19 11:52:21

The best position for deliberately getting rid of flatus is kneel down on knees and elbows with bum higher than your head and shoulders. You will fee the flatus rattling around the gut Wriggle bum around a bit and the flatus will come out.

It may be a good idea to keep a padded yoga mat in the bathroom so you can do this in comfort.

Dottydots Thu 29-Aug-19 11:58:39

GrowingOldDisgracefully
I used to walk down the street trumping with every step I took, whilst waving to the neighbours. I went to see the doctor about my problem and he prescribed Mintec peppermint capsules. I started off with three a day but now only need one, and I am happy to say I am fart free.