Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Toothache remedies

(29 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Wed 28-Aug-19 13:20:31

Any ideas on what to try please?

My daughter's wisdom tooth has been causing her excruciating pain. She had an emergency appointment at the dentist this morning, hoping to have it removed.

She had the injections, but could still feel pain, and then had a panic attack, so they couldn't do it. She has now been referred to the sedation clinic.

They won't get the referral until tomorrow, then she will have a consultation appointment next week, with the extraction set for the week after that. (This is correct, as my husband rang to see if she could get it done privately. This is what the clinuc told him, and said they don't have private appointments)

So she's stuck with this pain for at least two weeks it seems. She's been taking 500mg paracetamol, which has barely touched the pain.

Does anyone have any clever remedies that she could try as well as, or instead of, the paracetamol?

It's awful to see her in such pain.

She's type 1 diabetic, in case that us relevant.

Tedber Sat 31-Aug-19 20:18:46

Agree with shabby - orajel extra strength, which can be bought over the counter. Had lots of problems with wisdom teeth and I couldn't have got through without it! Got some other stuff from GP which wasn't as effective as orajel. Use that with painkillers such as solpadeine max strength.

gt66 Sun 01-Sep-19 11:13:26

I'm a bit late to this thread, so really hope your daughter has been sorted now and is not still in pain, but I would go along with the other poster who recommended a salt wash, with cooled boiled water. It has always worked for me with teeth issues and infections.

Fennel Sun 01-Sep-19 11:37:25

I agree with Kitty Lester try other dentists.
If there's an infection in the tooth it's not safe to leave it for long.
Didn't the dentist prescribe antibiotics? Sounds strange to me.