Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Could you do without cosmetics?

(121 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 29-Aug-19 17:53:39

Since moving here and having a less social lifestyle I don't seem to need make up. I swim, walk
and play tennis but even when meeting for coffee no one seems to dress up or wear makeup. I use a light moisturiser and if going out a touch of lipstick but apart from that my very expensive make up bag lies un used. An expensive rip off industry I think!

Tigertooth Fri 30-Aug-19 10:14:08

I hate make up - it’s ageing and unattractive but due to medical problems I now wear it to mask the issue - can’t wait until I can stop though.

Chewbacca Fri 30-Aug-19 10:30:23

I've always worn the full works; foundation, eyeshadow, mascara, the lot, and I wouldn't have been seen dead outside without it. Until about 12 months ago. I just woke up one day and just felt that I couldn't be bothered to put it on anymore. The only time that I wear it now, because it's a chore that really irritates me, is on the days that I actually go into the office to work. Other than that; I just can't be bothered spending the time or money on it.

Hm999 Fri 30-Aug-19 10:41:14

I wear eye liner and mascara when I go out the house, it takes 2 minutes

Bazza Fri 30-Aug-19 10:47:06

No I absolutely couldn’t do without it! As a child I had platinum blond hair which darkened over the years. Unfortunately my eyelashes and eyebrows stayed white, which makes me look a bit like a pig without makeup. I don’t wear a lot, just ‘done’ my face and timed myself, it took three minutes.

I do occasionally have them dyed when I can be bothered and that helps but it doesn’t last long.

One day years ago when I was running late to take my DD to school I didn’t wear makeup and three people offered me a lift home because they thought I was ill.

I put it on most days, don’t even like opening the door with a naked face. If my best friend’s husband sees me without it he makes a sign of the cross with his fingers and takes a step backwards.

Reading this back it makes me sound vain, I’m really not, just feel uncomfortable without it. Each to their own!

NanaPlenty Fri 30-Aug-19 11:04:37

I definitely look better with a scrape of mascara and a bit of eyeliner but other than that I don’t worry. As a treat I love to have Russian lashes as my own are sparse but as can’t do it all the time- I just think as you get older you are more confident in your own skin and who you are. Do what you feel like doing and be happy - life is short.

Kim19 Fri 30-Aug-19 11:05:00

Just lippie and perfume for me ever. Leave them both at the front door mirror for convenience and a reminder.

Theoddbird Fri 30-Aug-19 11:09:13

I always wear foundation....very light. I wear eye makeup for work and going out even to the shops. It is not madly obvious but just enough to emphasize shape of eyes and make me look as if I am awake. I am 68

Mamo Fri 30-Aug-19 11:15:34

Love my makeup. Makes me feel like me. Would also love the confidence to go without it and really be me, but just don’t have it!

Foxyferret Fri 30-Aug-19 11:16:58

Very easily. Had to wear it for years for my job as a receptionist. The freedom of not doing any is great.

MandyRaff Fri 30-Aug-19 11:27:38

In a word - NO! shock

goldengirl Fri 30-Aug-19 11:36:53

No! I look so much better with makeup and it makes me feel younger. My daughter has said she likes my makeup - it's not plastered on!!!

Happysexagenarian Fri 30-Aug-19 11:38:22

I never wear makeup, haven't done for over 40 years. I much prefer to go 'nude'! blush

moggie57 Fri 30-Aug-19 11:44:15

never worn the stuff. most made out of animal oils .or just plain old water. why wear war paint unless you going to fight a war .lol

GagaJo Fri 30-Aug-19 11:46:31

I LOVE this stuff. It is completely see through BUT has a blurring effect which just makes your skin look about 20% better. You look make-up free, BUT better. I shouldn't be passing this on really, because the colour I like is discontinued and there are limited supplies out there.

It really works though. I go from looking my age, to looking a bit younger than my age. I add a bit of concealer for my under eye bags and mascara and eyebrow shadow and look loads better. But if I'm not working, I still don't bother.

SueDonim Fri 30-Aug-19 12:01:52

Made out of animal oils? confused I'd be astonished if any of my make up contained animals products, it's either vegetarian or vegan.

AlisonKF Fri 30-Aug-19 12:20:23

Like some others here I have worn makeup every day since I was sixteen ( except at school). I am 82 now and relatively wrinkle free, possibly because of the protective effect of the makeup and avoiding the sun. I have a problem with the eyes., owing to creased eyelids and a cataract forming in one eye. However, I persevere and definitely look younger than I am because I wear lighter products than I used to. This is my protection from the world and my desired image. I would not give it up.

LuckyFour Fri 30-Aug-19 12:22:06

I don't come downstairs without lipstick and eyebrow pencil. I don't go out without eyeliner and eyeshadow and in winter a bit of colour in my cheeks.

I'm not vain, I just prefer to look at myself looking a bit better.

Speldnan Fri 30-Aug-19 12:58:47

I use it less and less, stopped using mascara some years ago but will occasionally put it on for a special occasion. No foundation in the summer if it’s hot weather, just a bit of powder to remove shine, and lipstick. Luckily I have quite good skin so don’t have to use it as a cover up.

4allweknow Fri 30-Aug-19 13:16:55

I have very fine hair that unless I sit up to sleep I always have the proverbial bedhead so wash my hair everyday. I hate having to do it. Makeup I do use eyeliner and mascara and a very light foundation. Not having eyebrows when the tattoos fade I use a pencil. Oh my, I sound an absolute mess!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 30-Aug-19 13:26:51

Living coastal having retired I only wear makeup when attending an event such as a wedding or evening function.
I find a tinted moisturiser is sufficient for every day use and doesn't show up lines which seem to increase as the years go by.

Jens Fri 30-Aug-19 13:31:00

I moved fr9m Africa to Germany in 1987. Got ready to go out for lunch, within minutes excruciating pain in my eyes, caused by allergic to my mascara! The same stuff I’d been using for over 20 years. From that moment, I stopped. No makeup whatsoever, was so terrified of a reaction to anything. Well here we are, 2019, I get compliments on my skin! Asked what use. I use hypoallergenic shower gel, same shampoo, and everything washed using a pouf, thats the rutched up plastic ball. It exfoliates, lathers brilliantly, no residual soap left in it as with flannels, don’t miss it.

quizqueen Fri 30-Aug-19 13:37:48

I've hardly ever worn make up over the years, tan well in the sun and have good skin and look younger than I am (67). I have always used moisturiser though.

Gma29 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:50:40

Well, I suppose I could, but like many others, really wouldn’t want to. I have had days spent completely at home when I haven’t worn any, but would never go out without at least some.

Having said that, at a recent spa stay, I didn’t wear make up at all for 3 days. I felt quite comfortable, but hardly anyone else was wearing any either, which is probably why I didn’t mind.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:51:18

I used almost the whole caboodle when I was young (apart from mascara which made my eyes water and eyeliner which I could never perfect) but now it's just eyebrow pencil and sometimes lipstick.

Cleanse, tone and sometimes nourish - and keep out of the sun.

Lesley1711 Fri 30-Aug-19 14:02:50

At 66 I have never worn make up even as a teenager. I am not artistic and I believe you need to be a little artistic. When my daughter reached an age when she wanted to wear make up, I took her to a professional to have a lesson, which has served her well. When I tell people I have never worn make up they say that explains why my skin is in such good condition despite plenty of sun.