Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Could you do without cosmetics?

(121 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 29-Aug-19 17:53:39

Since moving here and having a less social lifestyle I don't seem to need make up. I swim, walk
and play tennis but even when meeting for coffee no one seems to dress up or wear makeup. I use a light moisturiser and if going out a touch of lipstick but apart from that my very expensive make up bag lies un used. An expensive rip off industry I think!

GabriellaG54 Fri 30-Aug-19 14:09:39

Your naked self is the true you.
Imagine the shock a b/f would have if, after only seeing you with a full face of slap, he woke up next to you one day and saw a totally different creature with no eyebrows, sparse eyelashes, thin pale lips and visible age spots, under-eye bags and wrinkles.
Better they get used to seeing you like that from the off.
Minimal enhancement is fine but if you need a scraper on your face and your lips look like a skating rink...it's not a good look. grin

seadragon Fri 30-Aug-19 14:11:25

I look like a death mask without lipstick which I also use to 'touch up my cheeks' as my mother used to do! I inherited the more-than-sickly-look-in-old-age from her too!! We had a Superdrug open here (right next door to Boots and along the street from another chemists...why? - on a tiny island with a chemist in the next village too...but that's another story..)I was astounded by the rows and rows and rows and rows of beauty products in the new shop. What is that about? Having been a teenager when some of us stopped shaving or wearing bras....I don't understand this obsession with grooming, six in heels and looking like a clone of Kim Kardashian. Did we throw off our girdles for nothing? BTW, I only wear the make up as people ask if I am ill otherwise!

Madmaggie Fri 30-Aug-19 14:29:43

I like to put it on if I'm going for a meal or my little volunteer job but i keep it pretty low key. I have rosaceae and it does flare up occasionally so I use a French brand cream formulated for it which I buy online where it's cheaper. Always a lippy in my handbag. Don't you just love predictive text - it changed lippy to puppy ?

crazyH Fri 30-Aug-19 14:33:18

I wear foundation....I have sun damage or age patches, whatever they're called.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:06:22

I love makeup would feel naked without it foundation mascara lipstick so not a lot feel more feminine too

FC61 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:17:48

I couldn’t possibly go out without my kohl eye liner. Apart from that nothing except foundation in winter if going somewhere special and I used to have to pencil my eyebrows before testosterone replacement. Now got great eyebrows instead of the tufties in the middle, think 1 cm Dennis Healy but not across the brow ! Awful ?

Luckygirl Fri 30-Aug-19 15:20:56

Apparently I can do without make-up because I have done so all my life! Never put the "suitors" off as far as I could see!

I hate slap, and the older people get, the worse it looks as it creeps into the crevices and looks truly horrid!

Ducks below parapet!!!

FC61 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:24:27

PS my husband can’t bear makeup lol ? He says he doesn’t want to kiss ‘it’ and it come off on his face or shirt ? ! So I gave up the lipstick ? !

FC61 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:29:01

I do admire ladies who look good in makeup and a teeny bit envious because I look like a clown ? even when professionals do it! Even at 30 I had professional photo shoot and sadly I look awful ☹️ because of the make up.

Want2Help Fri 30-Aug-19 15:31:49

Like eazybee I put make up on for 'me'

Horton1828 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:41:34

I love my products..... not makeup as such, cleansers, toners, serums and a decent moisturiser. Love my Body Shop stuff.
I get my eyebrows waxed and tinted and eyelashes tinted every 3 weeks. I use eyelash & brow serum to keep them plentiful. Occasionally, a little bit of blusher and lipstick.... Gorgeous, even if I say so myself ?‍♀️

GinJeannie Fri 30-Aug-19 16:16:44

......so essential for disguising scars, however small! It’s a confidence building thing, don’t knock it.

Nanaval4G Fri 30-Aug-19 16:24:27

Since I retired I have gradually stopped wearing make up. If I am going anywhere special the most I wear is foundation, powder and lipstick. As others have said, my makeup is so old now it all needs throwing out really.

Milly Fri 30-Aug-19 16:32:39

I agree with Doodle !!

CassieJ Fri 30-Aug-19 16:40:39

Yes easily. I never, ever wear make up, I don't even own any, so no problem for me.

Redrobin51 Fri 30-Aug-19 16:58:27

I have had no makeup on all day just moisteriser and looked as though someone should call an ambulance as because of illness I am extremely pale with very pronounced dark shadows under my eyes.. Unusually one set of eyelashes and eyebrows are black and the other set platinum blonde which gives my face a strange look. I have to go to a meeting and have therefore put on "the slap" so I can face the world with more confidence. If I was a natural beauty like my friend with naturally curly lashes a gorgeous skin and pink cheeks makeup would never go near my face.x

callgirl1 Fri 30-Aug-19 17:13:18

A touch of eye shadow and lipstick, oh, and eyebrow pencil, but only if I`m going out somewhere. I don`t do proper make up because I`m not very good, rubbish in fact, at applying it.

sandelf Fri 30-Aug-19 17:22:28

Very very little - and then I don't like the look and feel. I work on being well and keeping my skin as clear/clean as possible. The sonic brushes suit my skin (I have a lookalike of the big name). And Victoria Health 'Garden of Wisdom' serums etc are 'the business' - and v economical.

grannylyn65 Fri 30-Aug-19 17:36:24

Never wear any!

NanTheWiser Fri 30-Aug-19 18:01:26

Gawd, no! I love my morning routine of applying the slap! then I'm ME! Without it I look like me nan, which I'd rather not. My hair is now a gorgeous silver and short, so I need some definition to my face, or I'd disappear!

Callistemon Fri 30-Aug-19 18:06:42

I never go out without my woad, SueDonim grin

Greciangirl Fri 30-Aug-19 18:06:53

I have to wear a bit of foundation to cover up the bags under my eyes.
Also, it depends where I’m going, or who I’m meeting.
Generally, if meeting up with friends, I wear foundation, eye shadow and mascara. I am 74, but still self conscious of my nude face.

If just family, I don’t bother.

skate Fri 30-Aug-19 18:47:19

Wouldn't dream of going out without make up. I think ALL women, even natural beauties, look better with a little enhancement. I secretly think they are too lazy to bother. How long does it take to apply a little lippy and spare others the sight of their dreary faces? Can we not have a bit more glamour in our everyday lives? I think it would be rather rude to inflict my unadorned face on others and silently applaud every other slightly elderly woman I see who has made the effort to look presentable.

SueDonim Fri 30-Aug-19 19:10:01

Ooh, what brand woad do you use, Callistemon? I like the Mel Gibson Highlander version. grin

GabriellaG54 if <<Your naked self is the true you>> did you always meet possible boyfriends without any clothing on? wink

oldgimmer1 Fri 30-Aug-19 19:15:49

Always full slap, since 1982!

I even wear it to bed, in case there's a fire or something.....grin.

I'd love to go without but don't have the confidence.