Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Boys Toys

(30 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 07-Sep-19 08:53:15

Help!

Darling grandson is at a stage where he needs more toys. Of course, he has a lot, but he doesn't play with a lot of them and we think he's outgrown them.

Here's the rub. My daughter (and darling boy) live with me. My daughter is my only child. I have neices (no nephews). My friends all had girls. I have NO idea about boys toys for 18 month / 2 year olds.

Currently grandson has:
Toy kitchen
Toy pushchair (LOVES it)
Toy hoover
Couple of big trucks
(obviously a load of other random stuff too)

He's still a bit too small for Duplo (big Lego) and I'm a bit at a loss to know what to buy for him. We want to make sure he has toys for both genders BUT he likes what he sees me and his mum doing, hence the kitchen/pushchair etc.

What do little boys play with?

GagaJo Sat 07-Sep-19 13:22:27

He loves the kitchen at his nanny's house. But it isn't safe for him to be in my kitchen so it's closed off with a baby gate.

He's still very oral so nothing small is suitable.

Sara65 Sat 07-Sep-19 13:28:12

I bought my grandson the John Lewis version of a duplo train set, I spent hours trying to get it to all fit together, just couldn’t do it, older grandson staying one weekend did it in about ten minutes, perfect!

Sometimes my incompetence really annoys me!

midgey Sat 07-Sep-19 15:20:44

Aldi and Lidl have great wooden toys occasionally, and their wooden train are compatible with Brio.

Gonegirl Sat 07-Sep-19 15:21:59

I think you can still get it Sarah.