Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Slippers!

(107 Posts)
kittylester Sat 07-Sep-19 18:41:13

I usually wear M&S mules with memory foam support but they dont last, we have a lot of stairs, and I'm 70 now!!

lemongrove Sat 07-Sep-19 21:29:17

Bare feet in warmer weather, suede loafer style in cooler weather and knitted look boot slippers when it’s really cold.
Nothing that will slip off ( so no mules.)

Harris27 Sat 07-Sep-19 22:14:24

I like m&s moccasin ones and they last.

Treebee Sat 07-Sep-19 22:18:01

Yes, Moshulu slippers are bright and hard wearing. I have narrow feet so the style with an elastic strap over the top stop them slipping off.

Auntieflo Sat 07-Sep-19 22:54:32

I am wearing an old pair of Moshulu slip on sandals as slippers/ indoor shoes, at the moment.
Earlier in the hot weather, I just went barefoot, lovely feeling on tiled floors. [bliss emoticon]
Sheepskin slippers would be too hot for me, although I like the look of them.
As I threw away my beautifully comfortable, soft leather house shoes, when they wore out, I will have to find another pair, soon.

arosebyanyothername Sat 07-Sep-19 23:17:21

Bare feet most of the time but when I feel the need for warmth I wear slipper socks (with grippers on the sole)

SirChenjin Sat 07-Sep-19 23:27:19

Mahabis are your friend - lots of styles/colours but very comfortable and the last for ages mahabis.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm63pzeC_5AIVC7TtCh2viA5LEAAYASAAEgJFPfD_BwE

agnurse Sun 08-Sep-19 01:13:54

What I'd suggest is that if you know anyone living in a care facility, ask what kind of slippers are common. Seriously.

I always tell Hubby that I buy his slippers based on what seniors wear because seniors with a high fall risk have to wear good shoes. Poor footwear is a fall risk. Hubby has liked the "old man" slippers I bought for him.

annep1 Sun 08-Sep-19 03:02:27

Had a look at Moshulu. Nice. Good price too. Think I might order some.

Willow500 Sun 08-Sep-19 07:13:28

My feet are always cold - I tend to unconsciously kick slippers off when I'm sitting then realise why I'm so cold! I've had Emu slippers which are lovely and warm but as soon as the sheepskin starts to wear they're no better than any others plus they're expensive. The soles also 'stick' to my tiled floors which is really annoying (the floors are washed every day so they're not dirty grin ). I've tried slipper boots but same results. I'll have a look at the Moshulu ones now.

Riverwalk Sun 08-Sep-19 07:14:32

Flip-flops or bare feet for me - don't think I've every owned a pair of slippers!

DanniRae Sun 08-Sep-19 07:42:05

I wear my oldest pair of Animal flip flops in the summer as slippers. Now as the weather is colder sad I am back in my Sainsbury's mules. They are comfortable - I can put them in the washing machine - and last for ages. Cheap too.

dragonfly46 Sun 08-Sep-19 08:06:13

These are like mine

harrigran Sun 08-Sep-19 08:45:57

I wear white Croc flip flops all year. If it is really cold, and I will be sitting still, I wear a pair of slipper socks.

sunseeker Sun 08-Sep-19 10:50:33

I have been looking for slippers for some time but have not been able to find anything I like. I don't want pom poms, dinky little bows, or fluffy lining. I just want something I can slip on and off easily, with a slight heel and non slip sole which I can also wear to hang the washing out or get the bins in!

Nandalot Sun 08-Sep-19 10:56:30

I usually wear flyflot slipper mules. They come with varying heel heights. www.pavers.co.uk/products/anatomic-slipper-mule-fly30011-315-804?variant=23182717386837¤cy=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPnSy_rA5AIVx7TtCh3Q6QnuEAQYAyABEgIjovD_BwE

jeapurs54 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:05:09

I wear Garden Style Clogs they are comfortable, practical as they can be washed and can be worn with or without socks. They have a bar that you can use as a sling back or move to the front of shoe if you prefer to slip on. They are quite cheap and I have 3 pairs in different colours.

kwest Sun 08-Sep-19 11:17:02

Flyflot mules or clogs. Blissfully comfortable.

optimist Sun 08-Sep-19 11:17:51

I wear my old Birkenstocks

Craftycat Sun 08-Sep-19 11:23:14

I got some lovely ones in Sainsburys last year- wore them all winter & they are still fine. Washed in machine several times too as I do tend to wear them to go through garden to freezer in garage quite a bit too.

jenni123 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:30:05

i never wear slippers, bare feet in my house, I dislike shoes, have tried so many types ( swollen feet). found a really comfortable pair on amazon, only cheap and have had so many compliments on them, really pleased. I live in sheltered housing block and even when walking round inside the building I never wear shoes. As a youngster, many many years ago, living in London then I used to go out without shoes. Have to be bit careful now as diabetic.

Witzend Sun 08-Sep-19 11:30:29

In winter I wear sheepskin house boots from Celtic Sheepkin - they are wonderful.
Celtic Sheepskin also do a lot of sheepskin slippers - I've bought several pairs as Christmas presents and they're very popular. Online service is very good.
They are made in Cornwall, rather than abroad (as with Uggs) and the sheepskin is largely a by product of the local sheep farming.

DeeDum Sun 08-Sep-19 11:33:00

I love my Moshulu slippers, last really well and imo worth the price.
Be aware hmm
lots of imitation/ fakes ,... my sister got a copy pair on Amazon last year, wasn't as good and the sole was slightly slippery..

4allweknow Sun 08-Sep-19 11:36:31

Try Draper slippers. Comfy, warm and stylish.

Blinko Sun 08-Sep-19 11:37:52

Summer = old Birkenstocks; Winter, Tesco house boots.

maddyone Sun 08-Sep-19 11:40:23

Sheepskin mules are toasty warm in the winter, and completely flat, but with proper soles that allow you to pop outside to the bins for example.
These are too warm for the summer, so I always wear old hotel slippers around the house in summer, lightweight and flat, and the hotels only throw the used slippers away anyway, so reducing the carbon footprint for me to reuse.