Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Breastfeeding perfectly but won’t bottle feed

(29 Posts)
Abuelana Sun 08-Sep-19 12:57:10

Help DD is breastfeeding GD (3 months) doing really well.
Partner finds giving bottle stressful.. so in fact doesn’t give her a bottle as sees no point as DD doing really well.
However, DH and I have her for a couple of hours twice a week. Practice for childcare when DD goes back to work. She does take the bottle but it is a bit of a struggle. Am I wrong to think that DD partner should be helping to make bottle feeding easier for everyone. Including our beautiful GD.
Help please...

BradfordLass72 Mon 09-Sep-19 06:45:29

When babies don't take to a bottle, it is often useful, if Mum can express some breastmilk, to dip the bottle's teat into it before offering it to the baby.

This is because babies use smell as well as taste and feel during the feeding experience.

It's bad enough when the "feeder" doesn't smell like Mummy or sound and feel like Mummy (which is essentially what makes babies feel comfortable and safe).

If the milk/teat doesn't smell/taste like "what I'm used to" as well, it's difficult for poor baby to understand what's going on in this essential part of its life.

Try it anyway.

My husband used to drape one of my milky T-shirts over his shoulder and chest if he needed to bottle feed our usually breastfed baby.

Abuelana Mon 09-Sep-19 12:08:05

Ladies I’ve loved every one of your posts. Never thought about all the different views. Thank you feeling much more relaxed now. DD and I went out last night and her partner was thrown into the deep end - now he understands how distressing it is for a Nana to deal with. Going to see how it goes. DD goes back to work when GD is 5 months old smile

notanan2 Mon 09-Sep-19 12:19:01

At 5 months if shes working no more than 8ish hr shifts a sip cup & water would be fine, she can still get her milk needs from mum