Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Speech problem.

(56 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sun 08-Sep-19 19:01:27

We don't see a lot of gs age 4 as they dont live nearby. Last visit we all noticed that though he sings and chats to himself all day,we cant make out what he is saying.When I mentioned it to D she bit my head off and said everyone else understood him. When I asked him to repeat something Dad immediately called out he said..........xxx so that child didn't need to answer.
Surely nursery or health visitor should have picked up on this?

Rocknroll5me Tue 10-Sep-19 03:28:57

ElaineI - thanks. Have been wondering that too. Our only hope is that her symptoms will be mild,..Even though she is a neonate she is being given exercises by Speech and Language therapists...to encourage her to suck. To be sure she will get all the help she needs. And I have wondered whether they will enquire and follow up elder child. Parents so overwhelmed at present I am not pushing them for more information than they are ready to give. It is very difficult.

ElaineI Wed 11-Sep-19 22:23:35

My thoughts are with you all. DGS! was born at 31 weeks and it was such a worrying time but his problems were from prematurity and thankfully he pulled through. To be diagnosed with a genetic condition must be so devastating. Their neonatal unit seems very good though.

Mistyfluff8 Sun 15-Sep-19 17:16:06

Health Visirors are still around but in short supply .You can contact them yourself to raise concerns .Maybe the child needs a hearing assessment as they do them at birth but none after that .Do the parents actually talk to the child because so many are on their mobile phones and do not talk to the child .Nursery should say something if there is a problem .Do not wait till school as it is more of a battle

vena11 Sun 15-Sep-19 17:23:15

He will be fine my niece had no speech that anyone could understand until she was 4, a lot is expected of children ,they do thing at their own pace,

Summerlove Mon 16-Sep-19 19:35:19

Do the parents actually talk to the child because so many are on their mobile phones and do not talk to the child

Gosh, that’s rude! Did you mean to do unkindly generalizes
a whole generation?