Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Finger nails splitting vertically!

(48 Posts)
Butweam1952 Sun 08-Sep-19 23:02:24

Does anyone else have trouble with their fingernails splitting vertically? I’m sure this must be an age thing, as I never had the problem until a year or so ago. Every time my nails grow just a little they split vertically and I have to file them really short. Anyone found a remedy?

CardiffJaguar Tue 10-Sep-19 09:27:48

The problems can be reduced if not entirely cleared by taking B vitamins especially ones containing biotin. That has just made all my nails, toes included, much better.

Lewie Tue 10-Sep-19 04:15:51

I’ve had this problem in one of my little fingers for the past year. I just keep it short and varnished and I also take biotin which ought to help. I shall try the Boots product too - thanks for passing the tip on.

4allweknow Mon 09-Sep-19 22:23:36

I have tried everything without success. Have flaky nails generally with one that splits. Had gel nails a couple of times for special occasions but afterwards my nails felt as if the thickness had been stripped to half.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:11:42

Maybe there are different types of gel nails I had them several times over a two year period made my nails so thin weak n soft, stopped having them done,took 15 months to get back to normal

silverdragon Mon 09-Sep-19 19:57:54

I had a split in my left thumb nail. One of the assistants at Superdrug recommended Sally Hansen Vitamin E Nail & Cuticle Oil. I massage at in last thing at night on all my nails, or when I'm reading. Took a little while to repair because obviously it can't just heal overnight. But I was really pleased with it, and my nails also feel a lot stronger.

Harris27 Mon 09-Sep-19 19:37:32

I had beautiful gel nails till I stopped going as it got pretty expensive. My nails are in the worst state ever wish I’d never hit them done!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Sep-19 19:27:39

Are you sure you are getting sufficient calcium and vitamin D in your diet? You need to take both, without vitamin D our bodies do not absorb calcium.

Do you use nail varnish? If so, try not using any, you could be allergic to it.

Consult your doctor, please, there is no point messing around with remedies that don't work. If your GP can't find the cause, then is the time to try all our suggestions.

Ooeyisit Mon 09-Sep-19 19:05:35

Vick rubbed under the nail kills fungal infection

Paperbackwriter Mon 09-Sep-19 18:58:03

Eat a cube of raw jelly every day, straight from the pack. (If you can stop at one cube you're a better woman than me)

Revis Mon 09-Sep-19 17:16:10

I can recommend Essie too. I heard that their products let your nails "breathe" and all my splits have now disappeared. I too have given up on gel but use the Essie undercoat and polish which goes on very easily and looks good

Acer Mon 09-Sep-19 17:05:29

Same happened with my finger nails. A friend suggested I cut out ‘gluten’. A couple of months later, I was asked if I was wearing false nails !
An amazing difference.

Nanny41 Mon 09-Sep-19 15:58:37

I have never been able to use nail polish, with working as a Nurse, so on retirement I loved using nail polish, until I realised after a few weeks of wearing I started having "peeling" nails, layer after layer flaked off I realise nails need air to them so I have stopped wearing nail polish for a few weeks until it gets better, a vicious circle I suppose.

Mardler123 Mon 09-Sep-19 15:40:28

I had that problem after getting gel nails. Bought a bottle of CND Solar off Amazon, which I apply every day. Amazing difference, my nails are stronger than they have ever been after a few of weeks. I have also had success in the past with vitamin e from Holland and Barrett for flaky weak nails. Hope this helps.

Grumpygran12 Mon 09-Sep-19 15:38:14

When I was going to have my knee replacements my physio who is also a very good osteopath told me to take collagen. This was to strengthen my muscles but it had an amazing result on my nails!
The one she recommended comes in powder form which you mix with water. It doesn’t taste lovely but has a great effect. I’m just starting to take it again as since I stopped a few months ago nails have started to split again. With me it’s worst with the 4th finger on each nand.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 09-Sep-19 14:32:30

I've had a vertical split in one of my big toes for a couple of years. Recently noticed that it appears to be growing out though no idea why. I haven't changed anything about my diet.

HillyN Mon 09-Sep-19 14:00:33

Both my thumb nails split vertically and have to be kept really short, which makes it hard to pick things up and find the end of the sticky tape. My right-hand thumb nail grows with a vertical 'fault line' since I trapped my thumb in a car door and lost the nail. The left-hand one improved while I was on holiday but is as bad as ever now.

Peewitt52 Mon 09-Sep-19 13:39:16

I have this problem. My nails split vertically and flake. Doctor says it’s due to ageing and osteoarthritis. I’ve found Nailtique no2 really strengthens them. Available from beauticians or Amazon. I also (when I can afford) have a gel manicure. Makes them rock hard but I always worry about the removal process damaging the nail.

Sussexborn Mon 09-Sep-19 13:25:50

I came across a half full bottle of zinc and magnesium tablets last night so must have heard this advice in the past sometime. Will give them another try. Reluctantly I keep all my nails short now. My Mother once told me I have short stumpy fingers like my Dad and longer nails disguise them.

My middle finger and index finger nails are dreadful. My manicurist (also a dermatology nurse) said that it was caused by the Aldara cream I have to use for skin cancer. Apparently nurses would always wear gloves, often double, to apply this type of treatment. I washed my hands thoroughly before and after using it as per the instructions but now wear disposable gloves as well.

Lilyflower Mon 09-Sep-19 13:02:49

Yes, I have a vertical split in the nail of my left thumb. When it first happened years ago it took eight months to grow out and gave me the complete heebie geebies. Since then I have kept the nail very short.

My DD gave me a product called 'Diamond Nails' which is a nail strengthener so I use that too. I don't rely on it working so I paint it over the short nail!

My mother and sister had this problem too so I wonder whether it is inherited.

Butweam1952 Mon 09-Sep-19 12:58:31

Thanks for all the tips and advice I will have a try.

Vonners Mon 09-Sep-19 12:55:25

Both my thumb nails split. I put it down to pressing the space bar repeatedly over years of typing.

Greciangirl Mon 09-Sep-19 12:53:05

I have very weak and flaky nails, they are always splitting and breaking.
I have tried all sorts of treatments, vitamins etc, but am now of the conclusion that it’s an age thing.

I try to look after my hands and always apply a hand cream at night. I did read somewhere that buffing the ridges was not good, but that seems the only thing that smooths them out.

My cuticles also are tatty. I have now virtually given up and might just occasionally paint them with clear nail hardener.

knspol Mon 09-Sep-19 12:39:59

Not had vertical splits but for many years had badly flaking nails so always had to keep them very short. Started using Nailtique which looks just like a clear varnish and after 3-4 weeks suddenly realised my nails were getting long and with no splits. Have continued to use this (paint on for so many days and then remove and leave clear for day or two). Have gels on my nails every now and again, mainly for holidays and never ahd any problem at all.

NotSpaghetti Mon 09-Sep-19 12:09:38

Psoriasis can cause nail problems. Not sure if that is vertical, horizontal or pitting and flaking.

Tweedle24 Mon 09-Sep-19 12:09:28

The gels vary. I have mine done with Biogel and this has strengthened , rather than weakened, my nails. The manicurist also applies a sort of vitamin liquid to my nails before the gel.