Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Finger nails splitting vertically!

(47 Posts)
Butweam1952 Sun 08-Sep-19 23:02:24

Does anyone else have trouble with their fingernails splitting vertically? I’m sure this must be an age thing, as I never had the problem until a year or so ago. Every time my nails grow just a little they split vertically and I have to file them really short. Anyone found a remedy?

Fiachna50 Mon 09-Sep-19 00:35:05

My fingernails do this but it is related to my hypothyroidism. It can also be a vitamin deficiency.

tanith Mon 09-Sep-19 06:54:40

One of my thumbs does this, I have to keep it very short and I put a nail strengthened varnish on it. I’ve not found a solution.

Lisagran Mon 09-Sep-19 06:58:25

I had this a few months ago - someone suggested Feroglobin capsules. I got some from Boots and there has been a good improvement.

tanith Mon 09-Sep-19 07:16:35

Lisagran how long did you take it before there was improvement?

Grannybags Mon 09-Sep-19 08:58:17

I have had this on one finger for years. You can see the "fault line" in the nail even on my finger. Have to keep it very short

kircubbin2000 Mon 09-Sep-19 09:05:20

Mine started when a splint went up my nail 20 years ago . It never grew properly but now 2 or 3 others have split too.

Lisagran Mon 09-Sep-19 09:06:29

Tanith - 2-3 months? They’re much stronger now - still short, but that’s because I’m always grubbing about in the garden grin

Nonnie Mon 09-Sep-19 09:41:20

I suggest a blood test to check your thyroid function and vitamins.

Flossieturner Mon 09-Sep-19 09:48:34

I am just the opposite. I have always had dreadful flaky nails and one split vertically about 10 years ago. About a year ago I started taking a mineral supplement which Includes magnesium and zinc. I have nails for the first time and the split is starting to close up.

tanith Mon 09-Sep-19 09:56:00

Lisagran thanks I’ll give it a try.

tanith Mon 09-Sep-19 10:01:14

They started after a fungal nail infection and are much improved but still split if I'm not careful.

Rosieroe Mon 09-Sep-19 10:06:28

I had the same problem. I finally went to a manicurist who said ‘Not a problem’ and gave me gel nails for the first time in my life. I now go once a month to have them done in a colour of my choice (she even ordered in new, more subtle, colours that I preferred) have a relaxing chat with her and have lovely strong nails that I regularly get complimented upon.

tanith Mon 09-Sep-19 10:40:24

They look lovely Rosieroe but I’m not a fan sorry, after I saw the state of my daughters nails after having gel nails for a while her own nails were in an awful state.

dragonfly46 Mon 09-Sep-19 10:44:12

My daughter regularly has gel nails and it has made her own nails stronger. There are no ill effects at all.

PatriciaH Mon 09-Sep-19 11:29:12

I have the same problem with finger nails splitting when they get to a certain length. I tried gel nails and never again, they ruined my nails and made them worse. I had them professionally applied and removed. I have been using an ESSIE product called Treat Love and Colour. It has helped enormously and I can now get my nails to a reasonable length. The varnish comes in several pastel colours. Highly recommend

whywhywhy Mon 09-Sep-19 11:29:13

Mine are just the same. Thanks for the tips and I'm going to try Feroglobin from Boots. I tried gel nails and it made mine worse.

allule Mon 09-Sep-19 11:31:24

My fingernails seem ok, but I frequently find a half moon shape gap in the tip. No idea what causes it, or where the missing bit goes!

Saxifrage Mon 09-Sep-19 11:33:55

Rosie and Dragon. I am really curious about your posts re gel nails. I had them done a couple of times and then my own nails took about a year to recover. They were very weak, cracked and broke the whole time. It was a reputable salon so I wonder what is the difference. Do others have an explanation?

EllieB52 Mon 09-Sep-19 11:36:06

I’ve had this problem for years. I have to keep them really short as once they start to go I catch them on everything which makes it worse. My manicurist said that once you’ve got the problem you’re stuck with it! My research has so much contradictory advice - take this, take that etc that I just end up confused. Gel nails are lovely and really strengthen nails but mine were wrecked by it. So, for me, it’s keep them short and use a cuticle oil regularly.

Katy77 Mon 09-Sep-19 11:46:05

I have this problem with one thumb nail. I keep it short but if there’s still a risk of it catching on something I put a tiny bit of superglue on it.

Haydnpat Mon 09-Sep-19 12:05:10

I have this problem, my nails are very soft too. Tried everything nothing helps.

Tweedle24 Mon 09-Sep-19 12:09:28

The gels vary. I have mine done with Biogel and this has strengthened , rather than weakened, my nails. The manicurist also applies a sort of vitamin liquid to my nails before the gel.

NotSpaghetti Mon 09-Sep-19 12:09:38

Psoriasis can cause nail problems. Not sure if that is vertical, horizontal or pitting and flaking.

knspol Mon 09-Sep-19 12:39:59

Not had vertical splits but for many years had badly flaking nails so always had to keep them very short. Started using Nailtique which looks just like a clear varnish and after 3-4 weeks suddenly realised my nails were getting long and with no splits. Have continued to use this (paint on for so many days and then remove and leave clear for day or two). Have gels on my nails every now and again, mainly for holidays and never ahd any problem at all.