Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To cut or not to cut................

(31 Posts)
gallusquine Mon 16-Sep-19 11:45:05

I have bought a rather lovely floor length dress for an up coming event and I think it might be a tad too long. Should a floor length dress skim the floor or sit above your shoes ? As it is it slightly sweeps the floor. I'll be wearing quite ornate beaded sandal which are flat, but being a canny Scot I will want to get the most wear out of it and might want to wear it with heels in the future.
I know this is a first world problem, but its a problem non the less. TIA

kircubbin2000 Mon 16-Sep-19 11:55:35

I would take your shoes and ask a dressmaker.

GillT57 Mon 16-Sep-19 11:59:16

Ask a dressmaker, but for what it is worth, I think that dresses siting above shoes always look as if they are too short, shoes should peep out from floor length dresses. Your sandals sound lovely by the way!

Maggiemaybe Mon 16-Sep-19 11:59:47

I’d leave it, OP. Once cut it’s too late to change your mind. You can see how it goes at this event and shorten it then if you think it’s necessary.

Bathsheba Mon 16-Sep-19 12:03:58

If it 'slightly sweeps the floor' when wearing flat shoes, it will be fine with heels. If you cut it, you will be forced to wear it only with flatties in future.

glammanana Mon 16-Sep-19 12:09:32

I'd leave well alone it can't be lengthened after the fact can it?

Luckygirl Mon 16-Sep-19 13:01:39

I'd be worried about going arse over tit if I was wearing a dress hat skimmed the floor!

Bubbe Mon 16-Sep-19 13:36:18

Just take care when going up steps, whichever length you choose. Here speaks the voice of a mishap or two.
I'd personally opt to keep it the longer length.
I find I rarely wear my long frocks more than once, despite the best of intentions. Although the accessories get plenty of use.
I'd be more concerned getting a bra that works for your gorgeous long frock silhouette.

gallusquine Mon 16-Sep-19 15:33:47

GillT57, my sandals are lovely, thank you.
Luckygirl, you made me laugh !
Bubbe, bra shoppings now on the list

Thank you everyone for taking the to reply and give advice, I really appreciate it X

Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 15:39:15

gallusquine, as a fellow Scot I love your name!
I haven't seen you posting before, so if you haven't, then welcome!

HildaW Mon 16-Sep-19 15:51:46

I'd be inclined to wear it a bit with the sandals and see if the hem catches at all as you walk (or dance)….apart from that fashion is pretty varied nowadays and thankfully the days of regimented lengths are gone, its all about what suits the wearer best.

gallusquine Mon 16-Sep-19 16:04:04

Marydoll and I love yours !

Yes I'm new have posted a couple of times, thank you for the warm welcome X

Tedber Mon 16-Sep-19 18:13:11

gallusquine. As an original Keith Quine - love your name also! As for your dilemma? I have a sundress that skims floor and it is always getting caught in my sandals! Always hoisting it up! Just be careful you don’t trip if you decide to keep it as it is or get it taken up slightly so it doesn’t hit floor. Safety first and all that.

discodiva Tue 17-Sep-19 10:19:44

Definitely keep it just above the the floor but no way should a dress be around your ankles. And I would definitely get a skilled seamstress to take it up unless you are one, and can do that yourself.

gallusquine Tue 17-Sep-19 10:33:10

Tedber - Keith the friendly town ! I have a good friend who also hails from Keith.

GrammaH Tue 17-Sep-19 10:51:57

I recently bought a full length evening dress with 8 godets flaring out at the hem. Even though I'm not short, it was too long & swept the floor, even when wearing heels. I know from past experience I would catch a heel in it when walking or someone else would tread on it so I shortened it so my shoes would just peep out. It took me ages to do but looked fine & I wore it to a ball on Saturday & there were no mishaps. Get it shortened!

TrendyNannie6 Tue 17-Sep-19 11:11:45

Totally agree with discodivas comment but did grin with the comment no way should a dress be around your ankles my sense of humour I’m afraid ?

SpringyChicken Tue 17-Sep-19 11:45:13

Nothing worse than you (or someone else) standing on the hem. I’d wear it with the sandals indoors, see how you get on, then pin up the hem with safety pin and see if it’s better. The dress will get dirty if dragging on the floor.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 17-Sep-19 11:55:33

Keep it the length it is, unless you have difficulty walking in it.

If you later decide to wear heels with it, watch out for the metal grids masquerading as outdoor door mats! Heels get stuck in them! Request the arm of a passing gentleman before attempting to cross and walk on the balls of your feet as if dancing a Viennese waltz.

Rosina Tue 17-Sep-19 13:24:14

Floor length dresses are a minefield with stairs, and other people - I had a fabulous dress ruined when I was in my twenties because someone stepped back and put her heel right through it, and then tore a huge rent in the back trying to get her sandal loose! If it has been slightly shorter it wouldn't have happened. I would see a dressmaker, taking the shoes you intend to wear. For the record, I have a dress that skims the ankles and have had compliments!

Janet29 Tue 17-Sep-19 13:36:54

Is it possible to turn the hem under and hold it in place with Sellotape when wearing it with sandals? Always found this very successful when a hem on skirt/trousers comes down when you're out and about and don't have needle and thread to hand!!
Whatever you choose make sure you're comfortable with the look and enjoy the event.

mande Tue 17-Sep-19 14:41:16

I have had this problem in the past and this is what I did. While turning the hem up don’t cut off the excess material. So instead of having, say, an inch of a hem you could make the hem two inches. Then, after your event, if you want a longer length, just return the hem length to the original. It worked for me!

Happysexagenarian Tue 17-Sep-19 14:46:58

Might depend on how formal the occasion is, some still seem to demand floor sweeping dresses. But personally I'd shorten it to instep or ankle length to avoid catching my shoes in it or tripping up. As others have said wear it around the house (and dance in it) and going up & down stairs before you decide.

gallusquine Tue 17-Sep-19 16:18:51

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. Excellent ideas/tips all very much appreciated.

EllieB52 Tue 17-Sep-19 17:17:57

Could you have the front shortened slightly to skim your instep graduating to the current back length? Might work.