Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where do you get your news? TV? Online? Papers? Social media?

(46 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-19 12:43:07

Just a quick poll. Do you tend to read the news on one medium? Or do you tend to watch the news in the morning on TV and then get updates on your phone throughout the day? Or do you prefer to buy the papers? Do you rely on social media for real-time updates?

Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 17:26:40

I have never signed up to social media sites.

I subscribe to the Telegraph digital version to read on my iPad every day, plus (for free) I read the Guardian and the Daily Mail. I like to read a story and then see how different newspapers report on it.

I watch Sky News. And the BBC Parliament channel.

Ch 4 news occasionally but it chimes in with the Guardian’s take on things which I will have already read during the day.

KatyK Thu 26-Sep-19 17:28:33

TV news, online newspapers in the week. We buy a newspaper on Saturday and Sunday as we like the supplements.

Lyndylou Thu 26-Sep-19 18:13:29

I also like to read stories from different viewpoints so I pay for online Telegraph and Times and also read the Mail and Guardian. The Times has just gone up to £17 a month so I don't know how much longer I will pay for both papers. I do trust The Times the most, when my son was in Iraq for the last war, the Times seemed to have the most accurate information.
The only real paper I buy is the Daily Mail on Saturday as I like the TV programme magazine for the rest of the week.

Calendargirl Thu 26-Sep-19 18:18:08

Radio at breakfast, bits online during the day, BBC 6 o’clock news, DT at the weekend also.

TerriBull Thu 26-Sep-19 18:49:34

If I do a £10 or more shop in Waitrose, which I do several times a week I'll get take their freebie newspaper offer in the form of the The Times and always get The Sunday Times. Other than that I'll get The Guardian and The Daily Mail online to get both ends of the spectrum. We generally listen to BBC News at 6 pm or the later ITN News at 10.

Davida1968 Thu 26-Sep-19 18:51:16

Radio 4 & Guardian online.

BBbevan Thu 26-Sep-19 19:14:00

TV first thing. Then newspaper if we go out. Always get the Sunday papers though for an in depth assesssment. Sunday Times and Sunday Express but sometimes fancy something else

LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 19:39:59

Forgot to mention Metro (free paper in London with other editions in other cities I think). I used to read it when I was commuting on the tube before I retired. My daughter brings copies over now but mainly because it fits the base of the cat litter tray perfectly.

Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 20:10:13

Ha! Love it LondonGranny! Best comment on here.
?

nightswimmer Thu 26-Sep-19 20:43:11

World Service, Channel 4 News, online apps

Whitewavemark2 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:25:52

Radio 4, but less and less. Guardian, twitter, all the tv news channels including CNN (not itv)
Social media like twitter, stuff like political articles posted to me by friends.

Sara65 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:36:53

Mostly the Today program, and then check my phone now and again throughout the day, if anything big is going on.

LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 22:00:23

Oh also forgot to mention (recent development in the story of my life) LBC News if something major is happening eg Grenfell Tower.

Willow500 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:08:28

Mostly TV news and online. I don't read newspapers and never listen to the radio unless in the car.

travelsafar Fri 27-Sep-19 07:48:16

BBC news pages, Radio, TV News prog, Papers and of course Gransnet smile

mumu54 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:57:02

BBC Radio Solent on all day. Watch BBC News at 6pm. Read Telegraph and Mail and have BBC Radio 5 on all night (can't get to sleep since my husband died so that helps massively).

Nortsat46 Fri 27-Sep-19 08:11:25

Radio 4 news in the car ( partner listens in the mornings, too, but I don't).
Guardian on the iPad every day (I am a subscriber)
Channel 4 News in the evening on the television
BBC news headlines on the iPad

henetha Fri 27-Sep-19 10:19:00

All of those. I'm a news fan.

eleninan Wed 13-Nov-19 13:17:35

I get my news from a mixture of sources, but must say that this is a great place to keep up with what's going on, especially when it comes to politics

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Nov-19 13:39:43

Mainly online, mostly from the BBC news site. I check first thing and for updates on anything interesting. I like their Reality Checks. If we're in, the radio's on, so I catch the hourly bulletins, then the TV news bulletins because DH hates to miss them (I usually feel it's old news). We buy the Guardian and Observer at the weekend and a local paper midweek that takes around 3 minutes to read. Oh, and the Metro if we get one.

There's a lot of it about, isn't there?!