Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

threatening son

(91 Posts)
Val05 Fri 04-Oct-19 23:35:21

Hi there
I am new to Gransnet and I am a grandmother. I am also a Mother to a son aged 37 who I believe smokes marijuana. He has very aggressive behaviour and has begun to threaten my husband and I, he is verbally abusive and tries to control us. He lives with us at the moment but we are all feeling very fed up with his behaviours, he is load and shouts and swears and god knows what my neighbours think. At times when things are really bad we ask him to leave, no we tell him to leave, but because we have never forced the issue he just doesn't go. As his mother I am also scared that if we force him to go he will deteriorate and Im scared of the drug abuse and honestly love him with all my heart. I have offered for him to go into re-hab but he doesn't feel he is as bad as he is. I am sure the marijuana is affecting his mental health but also ours. I cannot see a way out. I know many of you will say stand up to him and throw him out, but if we do the situation becomes explosive and the only way out would be to call the police. I worry about him constantly but feel I cannot help him as he cannot help himself. There are times when I see the son I used to have, my love doesn't stop for him but I have to think of the rest of us here life is pretty sad and upsetting at times.
Thank you for listening to me, I think I have needed to off load this. I will listen to all replies and try to act on those that I feel may work for what once was a very loving family.

Marelli Sat 05-Oct-19 23:25:04

Val, please, when you have time to yourself, Google Families Anonymous? They have an online discussion group where you can talk about issues caused by family members' drug misuse. You can also find out, when you look at the website, where you may be able to attend a 'support' group.

glammagran Sat 05-Oct-19 23:30:16

EllanVannin. Cannabis does NOT usually lead to harder drugs. I myself often smoked cannabis in my teens and 20’s. When I gave up smoking cigarettes this stopped too. Have never, ever been tempted to smoke either again. I can scarcely believe I ever smoked now as I find it utterly repulsive.

Hetty58 Sun 06-Oct-19 00:19:52

Val05, what you are doing is not helping your son. I know it will be very upsetting but you need to get him out of your house. He's an adult so you need to let him go. If he won't leave and/or threatens you, involve the police.

Saetana Sun 06-Oct-19 00:31:25

I speak from personal experience here - you cannot force, or even suggest, someone gets help unless they are ready to accept help, which means accepting they have a problem. Until the person involved accepts themself that they have a problem, little can be done. Time for tough love and some ultimatums maybe if his behavoiur is impacting you and your family - although I am a little sceptical that it is marijuana causing the problem, it is not an aggressive drug and it rarely causes addiction issues. I can think of other drugs that fit this bill but do not want to put words in your mouth.

Saetana Sun 06-Oct-19 00:36:07

One more point - if he is losing weight then its highly unlikely marijuana is the problem, or at least not the only problem, marijuana is well known for causing "munchies" (strong urge to eat a lot) and can help people with chronic medical conditions who have little appetite (my husband) including cancer patients. Loss of weight is usually caused by "uppers" - speed, cocaine and crack.

Marelli Sun 06-Oct-19 08:16:02

Saetana, I agree.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sun 06-Oct-19 08:19:20

Excellent advice from Ibelonghere.

grapefruitpip Sun 06-Oct-19 10:20:55

Marijuana, may indeed encourage people to eat but they probably won't be eating something healthy.

I do wish people wouldn't make sweeping statements based on little or no actual knowledge.

Marijuana use completely changed the personality of a family member, so I have some direct knowledge. The person lost a great deal of weight, personality altered, scarcely recognisable.

Newatthis Sun 06-Oct-19 17:03:16

I worked for a mental health trust for a number of years that was attached to the mental health ward. Sadly, many of the young, beautiful psychotic people in one of the wards were their as a result of smoking marijuana.

mumofmadboys Sun 06-Oct-19 18:17:14

It is hard to know what comes first. People smoking cannabis may have an increased risk of developing a psychotic illness but people while developing a mental illness may try to self medicate and try cannabis to calm them. Chicken and egg situation.

Val05 Mon 07-Oct-19 15:15:22

Optimist
Your words have given me hope
x

Val05 Mon 07-Oct-19 15:16:38

gratefruitpip

I totally agree, this is whats happened here in my life. Life is so difficult

Val05 Mon 07-Oct-19 15:19:43

Marelli
I have now accessed families anonymous I hope to attend a support group very soon

grapefruitpip Mon 07-Oct-19 15:23:36

Well done Val for taking that first step. I strongly suggest you make a few notes and see your GP as soon as you can. Tell the truth, get it out and hopefully there will be some support.

boodymum67 Sat 26-Oct-19 13:36:31

Yes I can see how much this is hurting you and your DH.
This may sound extreme, but as all other avenues have not come to any good conclusion, how about speaking to a Social Worker?