Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is it really 57 years?

(73 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 05-Oct-19 17:31:19

The Beatles 'Love Me Do' was released 57 years ago today - can hardly believe it.

I was eight at the time.

Callistemon Sun 06-Oct-19 10:41:06

My taste in music is eclectic, Grandma70s - perhaps not The Beatles now but I like classical, opera, some pop, country music too.

I was 17 too, maryhoffman, had a BF in the National Youth Orchestra but I wasn't good enough for that!
The Beatles were so refreshing after all the American music of that era.

BlueSapphire Sun 06-Oct-19 10:44:08

I was 17 and in the Upper VI at school doing A level music. Up till then I had been a classical music fan, but the Beatles changed all that. The next year I went to college and the Beatles were the soundtrack to my student days, my troubled love-life, college dances, weekends spent in Cambridge. Fabulous memories. I now have all the albums on CD and can still sing along to everything

TrendyNannie6 Sun 06-Oct-19 10:44:29

Wow I was 5 at the time and know all the lyrics loved the Beatles as I was growing up had their greatest hits

reelashosser Sun 06-Oct-19 10:49:54

My girl friend and I saw them very many times in the Cavern, and I even bought Love Me Do in support of them, even though at the time I didn't have a record player!

However, the success of Love Me Do meant it was the end of us seeing them close up like that in a club, and nothing that came later ever matched those fantastic nights in the Cavern. So I have very mixed feelings.

Chestnut Sun 06-Oct-19 11:04:59

I'm finding the tracks I really enjoy listening to now are mostly John's slightly weird ones, Strawberry Fields Forever, Tomorrow Never Knows, I am the Walrus, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds etc. There is something timeless about them, and the layers of sound are amazing. Put on the headphones and listen to them properly and they still blow your mind! I never tire of hearing them even after all these years.

NannyJan53 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:12:07

I was 9, and didn't really understand what the fuss was about until I was around 14! Their music is enjoyed even now all round the world. We were in Hvar, Croatia this week and a Beatles tribute band called 'Help' were playing outside in the square Wednesday evening. People of all nationalities were dancing and singing along.

gallusquine Sun 06-Oct-19 11:13:39

Chestnut

Thank you for posting the web cam link - i found it fascinating.

mancgirl Sun 06-Oct-19 11:17:16

I was 11 with an older brother that bought all the Beatles records and LP's. The soundtrack to my growing up. Like others, I know most of the words to all the songs and still play them. What a special time in my life, growing up in the 60's. Still love listening to sixties radio shows. Great one on radio Manchester, Sunday lunchtime with chat inbetween songs about the music, bands and clubs. Takes me right back!

Davida1968 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:25:16

Thanks, Chestnut - the website/cam is well worth a look! (Like you, I was 12 in 1962.) Sadly, the world now, isn't the one I was hoping for, back in the 60s.........

trisher Sun 06-Oct-19 11:30:36

I was 17 and supposed to be studying for my A levels but there was a coffee bar close to the library ( remember clear pyrex cups and frothy coffee) where we spent most of our time. Never a huge Beatles fan, I liked the Stones.

Chestnut Sun 06-Oct-19 11:31:39

Glad you're all enjoying the Abbey Road webcam. Obviously, the best time to look is weekends and middle of the day when the hapless tourists turn up and do their 'Beatles walk' across the road. It can be hilarious especially at busy times. Paul apparently lives nearby and sometimes gets held up by them when driving. He says one day he'll get out of the car and pose with the tourists, so that will be one lucky day for them!

vena11 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:35:18

I was 8 when that come out where has that time gone , I loved them and still do I had their picture covering all my walls in my room . I had a small transistor radio every time their songs came on I remember screaming that's what everyone did .

TashHag Sun 06-Oct-19 11:36:46

Yesterday 23:15 gillybob

I’m 57 .
Going on 102.

Same as me, gillybob. I’m also one of the very many Gs born in 1962. Started school in 1967 and remember Beatles songs being played on the wireless all the time in those days... there was a bit of a resurgence in the mid/late seventies when we were early teens rediscovering our parents’ music, I remember smile

Nanny41 Sun 06-Oct-19 11:55:23

Congratulations to Abbey Road album.
I grew up in Liverpool with the Beatles literally,it was a marvellous time growing up with the" Liverpool Sound", I love the Beatles to this day.

Aepgirl Sun 06-Oct-19 12:39:07

They say that if you remember the 60s, you weren't there. However, if you can’t remember the 60s they say you’ve got dementia. Hey ho.

seadragon Sun 06-Oct-19 13:39:57

Thank goodness, Grandama 70's. I thought I was alone in not understanding all the fuss about the Beatles, although I did rather enjoy the Kinks and the Trogs.... Oh, and I played the Ipcress File over and over again...

hulahoop Sun 06-Oct-19 13:54:41

I'm with you seadragon there were lots of good groups around at the same time which I preferred but each to their own .

crazyH Sun 06-Oct-19 13:58:25

Loved the Beatles. Went to the Cavern a couple of years ago - just great, walking down those steps and seeing the stage where they sang.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 06-Oct-19 14:16:46

I was 10 and I found the Beatles deeply uninteresting then and have never been able to summon up any enthusiasm for them since.

But I know the feeling of hearing an anniversary mentioned and thinking, "It can't possibly be that long ago!"

Foxyferret Sun 06-Oct-19 15:02:20

Loved the Beatles and still play old stuff. I was reflecting on how in the sixties most of the music was happy stuff. (Gerry and pacemakers, swinging blue jeans, searchers etc) in stark contrast to some of the miserable sounding dirges that are around today. Where has the happy music gone or maybe I’m just listening to the wrong radio station as well as being a grumpy old woman.

Chestnut Sun 06-Oct-19 17:15:02

Foxyferret - the early 60s was a very optimistic time and maybe that was reflected in the music. We have little to be optimistic about at the moment. Hopefully things will improve in the coming years and the music will change!

kittylester Sun 06-Oct-19 17:26:45

But, whether you liked them or not, The Beatles were the seminal group.

Paperbackwriter Sun 06-Oct-19 17:27:01

I was an early Beatles fan (fans club number 1872, I still have my membership card) - Please Please me would still be one of my Desert Island Discs. I was one of those who screamed at concerts, was at Heathrow when they came back from the US that first time. I still get a slight thrill when I hear old Beatles stuff on the radio. As for Abbey Road, we have a friend who works there - I've been in and out of that studio many times now but I still think, ooooh Beatles! when I go there.

Foxyferret Sun 06-Oct-19 18:05:06

Yes Chestnut, you are probably right. There was an air of optimism then and people seemed genuinely more upbeat. I know that we are at the moment in doom and gloom but surely more reason to produce cheerful music to help us forget about it.

trisher Sun 06-Oct-19 18:15:24

Oh come on there was Bob Dylan and Masters of War, The Ballad of Hollis Brown to name but two. There was the Eve of Destruction-Barry McGuire and the Stones 19th Nervous Breakdown. Our music wasn't all froth and bubble.