Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grand mother - grand child generation gap

(52 Posts)
WishIwasyounger Wed 09-Oct-19 11:23:08

Watching my new grandchild last night, I wondered how she will remember me when she grows up. When I think back to my fathers mother (my mothers mother died when I was young so I don't remember her) I think of an old lady who never really spent much time with me as she always seemed so infirm.
I'm hoping to spend lots of time with mine and do exciting things like bike riding and going walking up hills.
I think (hoping that) the generation gap between me and my gran was much wider than the one between me and my grand daugher, as older people nowadays are younger than they used to be.
What do other GN's think.

WishIwasyounger Sun 13-Oct-19 17:01:36

What a varied collection of memories and non-memories. Fortunate are those who have fond memories of their grandparents, and to those who have hazy memories like me, well I feel your loss.
I think that the fact our generation is younger than previous ones (70 is the new 60 etc) gives me hope. Mind you, it seems a very uncertain world in which to bring a new human being, what with the climate emergency and popularism sweeping the world, and don't get me started on Trump and Johnson!