Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What is 'Formal Wear'?

(35 Posts)
kittylester Wed 30-Oct-19 06:56:39

We are going to a 'do' and the dress code is Formal Wear. We don't go out much (!!!) and I have not seen this on invitations before.

What does it mean? What do I wear? Can I wear trousers?

Can I stay at home? gringrin

Davidhs Wed 30-Oct-19 18:04:12

For him, maybe a suit maybe black tie, best to ask others going which is usual, you don’t want to be the only one in a suit, or indeed only one in black tie.

For her, jacket and trousers or skirt, again ask others what is usual, is dancing involved?.

Enjoy

kittylester Wed 30-Oct-19 18:40:23

No dancing involved thankfully and I'm not aware of anyone else I know going!

Doodle Wed 30-Oct-19 19:24:57

Latest fashion (from TV) seems to be people going out wearing pyjamas. Have you got a nice cosy old pair to wear kitty. Have to say if the “formal” meal is curry, how formal can it be (wear something that washes easily. I always spill curry sauce down my front blush. Have a great evening.

Galen you look fabulous!!

kittylester Wed 30-Oct-19 20:00:56

It's the curry bit that has confused my thinking, doodle! And, I can guarantee that I will drop it down my front. So orangey might be the way to go! grin

maddyone Wed 30-Oct-19 20:27:18

Formal definitely requires a dinner jacket/suit for men, and for women a long evening dress, cocktail dress, or evening trousers with glittery/satin/ velvet/ top and possibly jacket. The curry bit would probably lead me towards trousers and evening top. Sparkly shoes and evening bag will complete the look.

maddyone Wed 30-Oct-19 20:31:44

Galen, you’re looking lovely in your picture. I love dressing up on formal nights on a cruise, though on our last cruise, Celebrity, the formal evening was much less formal than when we’ve been on Holland America or Cunard. We’re going with Celebrity again next month and Mr M says he’s not taking his dinner suit, just a lounge suit, as so few men wore a dinner suit on Celebrity. For the ladies I think a cocktail dress or evening trousers are fine on Celebrity.

NotTooOld Wed 30-Oct-19 23:05:07

Don't go, Kitty! Why should they tell you what to wear?
Bah humbug. grin

HildaW Thu 31-Oct-19 11:28:14

We are Saga cruisers as we like their small ships. On the Formal nights pretty much everyone really makes an effort although there is a wide assortment within the ladies department....evening trousers, so called 'cocktail' dresses to the odd full length with stole (although have yet to see any tiaras). In the average 14 day cruise there are usually 3 official formal nights which I think works well. They usually fall on a 'cruise' day so that no one is rushing back from a busy excursion to dress up. Most people do smarten up a bit for dinner but its often not much more than changing a blouse or putting on a bit of lipstick especially if an excursion has over run.
Thankfully everyone is decent at the breakfast table - some younger friends of ours were recently staying in a Travelodge type place and were horrified to see many folks came in for breakfast in Pjs.

humptydumpty Thu 31-Oct-19 12:19:09

can I suggest asking the organisers what formal dress constitutes?