Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What shall I do?

(110 Posts)
BlueSapphire Sun 10-Nov-19 20:16:46

My DIL has been in her new job for a week; asking her today how it was going she admitted that she found the morning commute difficult, and has been late for work three times this week because of traffic, which is not good. Now, I know she should probably have thought about this beforehand, but she really wanted to escape her previous job in which she was unhappy.

I am thinking of asking her whether she would like to drop younger DGD off with me at about 7.30 each morning to give her an extra half hour to get to work. I could then take DGD to school.

As far as I can see, pros are:
DDIL would not be so stressed in the mornings;
It would make me get up earlier and I would get more things done and get some exercise from the walk to and from school;
I would be spending good time with DGD and she wouldn't have to go to breakfast club.

Cons are:
I would not be able to slob around in my dressing gown for half the morning if I felt like it.

I would not do Mondays as I have an early yoga class, but every other day is fine.

Shall I offer?

notanan2 Sun 10-Nov-19 23:47:17

A 2 stop morning will be less relaxed for the child than just going from their home direct to school IYKWIM.

Its worth thinking about anyway. Might work better

Callistemon Sun 10-Nov-19 23:49:01

Well, I don't think we should generalise, I was just giving examples. Some schools do start earlier than others.
DGS is in primary school. 7.30 am seems very late to be just getting up to me.

notanan2 Mon 11-Nov-19 00:12:09

But its early to be leaving the house for a primary aged child!

Most children would be up But not out the door at 7.30!

I think its important that children have a relaxed start to the day before a day at school personally. Not too rushed or hectic

notanan2 Mon 11-Nov-19 00:12:54

All Im saying is float it as an option

Hithere Mon 11-Nov-19 03:05:21

I agree with notanan2

Why not asking the son and dil? They may have a plan in mind that is the most convenient for them (parents and child)

Granarchist Mon 11-Nov-19 09:04:44

do it! Get those brownie points.

Callistemon Mon 11-Nov-19 09:24:33

It is probably early for most to be out of the door, I agree, although DGS has to be on the bus at 7.30 am.
I think it is par for the course for many with working parents, though, especially if working times are not flexible.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Nov-19 09:36:25

I think it’s a lovely idea BlueSapphire
Perhaps trial it as suggested upthread - say till Christmas and review? In fact keep options open on both sides and review each half term?

As your granddaughter would be coming to you and not breakfast club, she could even turn up in her pj’s underneath her coat, with school uniform ready in a bag to get dressed into at yours after breakfast! Even easier for mum!

Gonegirl Mon 11-Nov-19 09:44:52

All this talk of early mornings getting kids to school is making me shudder. You could give it a try for perhaps a year, but I wouldn't want to be saddled with it.

Early morning is not good bonding time.

notanan2 Mon 11-Nov-19 11:46:06

*It is probably early for most to be out of the door, I agree, although DGS has to be on the bus at 7.30 am.
I think it is par for the course for many with working parents, though, especially if working times are not flexible.*

Well yes, but since the OP is offering an alternative to commercial wrap around care, it could be an opportunity to avoid rushing the kids to be out the door at that time. An easier more relaxed morning would be better quality time than kids rushed to hers, then out the door again 30/45 mins later...

fluff Mon 11-Nov-19 12:11:15

Why not try it for just two days a week at first and see how it goes before committing yourself?

Jaycee5 Mon 11-Nov-19 12:11:32

I would offer but on a 'when I can' basis so that it isn't an expectation.

Maz53 Mon 11-Nov-19 12:13:47

Defo breakfast club. I’ve done this for two years. It’s tiring and a commitment.

Coppernob Mon 11-Nov-19 12:17:41

My son drops my 3 granddaughters off at 7.00am every Tuesday. We give them breakfast and then take them to school for 8.45. At first it was just one at school, one at nursery and one with us for the day but gradually they have all progressed through nursery and are all at ‘big’ school now. I’ve loved having this time with the girls and wouldn’t have changed it for the world.

jaylucy Mon 11-Nov-19 12:18:26

Why not offer?
Why do you have to ask?

Coppernob Mon 11-Nov-19 12:19:01

Not sure I would want to do it every day though, and it has always been an ‘if we can’ arrangement.

GrannyBlossom Mon 11-Nov-19 12:21:21

How lovely it would be to see your grandchild four mornings a week. Give it a try!

BusterTank Mon 11-Nov-19 12:23:45

Sounds a great idea , it's up to your daughter in law if she takes you up on it . At least it will show willing . What a great grandma you are .

Lin663 Mon 11-Nov-19 12:25:05

Absolutely! Make the offer “would it take the pressure off if ....” and state your terms i.e. no Mondays to prevent any misunderstandings/ill feelings..then it’s up to DIL to accept or not

Aepgirl Mon 11-Nov-19 12:25:51

I think that is a really kind suggestion, BlueSapphire. I hope your DIL accepts.

Freemind Mon 11-Nov-19 12:28:27

When I had very early starts, I put the children in the car still in pjs with all their clothes and stuff in bags. They had a bit longer sleep and were able to have dressing and breakfast time without feeling the pressure from me. Could you try that?

sodapop Mon 11-Nov-19 12:28:35

It's a kind thought Bluesapphire but it is a big regular commitment. Make sure you have thought through all the pros and cons before agreeing to do this. The trial idea is a good one for all concerned.

Gagajo I don't think its selfish to want a life of one's own in retirement. If our adult children choose to have a family then they should be prepared to care for them. By the same token if grandparents choose to help then that's fine but no one should feel obligated.

Barneysmommy Mon 11-Nov-19 12:36:57

I would jump at the opportunity. But tell you DIL you would like to try it for a few weeks to see if it works.

humptydumpty Mon 11-Nov-19 12:41:34

Is there any chance that DiL could ask if she could start 30min later and end 30min later?

Rosina Mon 11-Nov-19 12:48:30

Sounds like a delightful, kind and win win idea; DiL will love you forever, GD will be thrilled to spend 'special' time with Nanny, you will remove stress from Dil's life and that can only be good for her and the family. Well done - and I would like to bet that if you don't do it the guilt will far outweigh the inconveniences, which sound very small.