Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What shall I do?

(110 Posts)
BlueSapphire Sun 10-Nov-19 20:16:46

My DIL has been in her new job for a week; asking her today how it was going she admitted that she found the morning commute difficult, and has been late for work three times this week because of traffic, which is not good. Now, I know she should probably have thought about this beforehand, but she really wanted to escape her previous job in which she was unhappy.

I am thinking of asking her whether she would like to drop younger DGD off with me at about 7.30 each morning to give her an extra half hour to get to work. I could then take DGD to school.

As far as I can see, pros are:
DDIL would not be so stressed in the mornings;
It would make me get up earlier and I would get more things done and get some exercise from the walk to and from school;
I would be spending good time with DGD and she wouldn't have to go to breakfast club.

Cons are:
I would not be able to slob around in my dressing gown for half the morning if I felt like it.

I would not do Mondays as I have an early yoga class, but every other day is fine.

Shall I offer?

MooM00 Tue 12-Nov-19 09:26:03

I have my grandson all day Monday from 7am untill 6pm, I then have my grandaughter on a Tuesday after school then take her to Rainbows and pick her up. On Wednesday I look after my step grandson for a couple of hours in the morning then pick up my other grandson at 1 30 from nursery. Then I go on to pick up my grand daughter at 3 15 from school then take her to gymnastics at 5 then pick her up at 6 and leave their house at 8 15pm to pick my 15 year old step grandson up from Rugby I get home around 9pm. On Thursdays I look after my step grandaughter from 8am and then pick her sister up at 3 from school give them their tea and leave at 6 pm. Friday I have all to myself. So I say go for it Blue Sapphire.

Brismum Tue 12-Nov-19 09:50:31

I would go for it if you can BlueSapphire. I’m sure it would be greatly appreciated. As you wouldn’t be doing Monday anyway it would only be 4 days maximum. Unfortunately weatherwise it is a bad time of year to start but we can’t do anything about that ?. Do come back to us and if you decide not to do it or it doesn’t work out then so be it. As a matter of interest what happens in school holidays. That’s when I struggle most, with no car and a 5yr old and 3yr old all day. But I do it at their house so they can have their own toys!

Wildrose24 Wed 13-Nov-19 08:10:41

I think I would offer to do the two mornings where you already pick your grand daughter up after school. That way although two days would restrict you you would be able to go to yoga and have two free days.

BlueSapphire Tue 19-Nov-19 21:03:25

Just updating. DDIL has had a sad few days as her Dstepfather died recently and she spent the end of last week in Stockholm for his funeral. Luckily DS was able to step in and keep the family routine going.

I have asked her today whether she would be open to my offer of having DGD early in the morning and taking her to school and if it would help with her commute. She was very grateful, but for the time being has turned it down, but will bear it in mind if things get difficult. She is reluctant, despite my protestations, to ask more of me, as I already pick up DGD two days a week, and she feels that is enough. But she will see how it goes.

Anyway, the offer is still on the table.

Callistemon Tue 19-Nov-19 21:24:56

Thank you for the update BlueSapphire

She sounds very thoughtful, as do you.

grapefruitpip Wed 20-Nov-19 17:02:28

Great to read about some nice communication going on.

BlueSapphire Thu 12-Dec-19 20:53:58

Hello, an update on the stuation.

DDil came to fetch DGD today and had a beaming face. She has handed her notice in today to the job with the stressful commute, and starts in a similar new job next month just the other side of town, about 15 minutes drive. She was so happy! I felt so pleased for her, so my dilemma is solved. Happy bunnies today!

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 20:57:06

That is good news BlueSapphire
I hope she enjoys her new job.
And you don't have a rushed morning either.

dragonfly46 Thu 12-Dec-19 21:07:49

Just seen this thread. I would have done exactly the same as you did. So pleased it has worked out so well.