Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What shall I do?

(110 Posts)
BlueSapphire Sun 10-Nov-19 20:16:46

My DIL has been in her new job for a week; asking her today how it was going she admitted that she found the morning commute difficult, and has been late for work three times this week because of traffic, which is not good. Now, I know she should probably have thought about this beforehand, but she really wanted to escape her previous job in which she was unhappy.

I am thinking of asking her whether she would like to drop younger DGD off with me at about 7.30 each morning to give her an extra half hour to get to work. I could then take DGD to school.

As far as I can see, pros are:
DDIL would not be so stressed in the mornings;
It would make me get up earlier and I would get more things done and get some exercise from the walk to and from school;
I would be spending good time with DGD and she wouldn't have to go to breakfast club.

Cons are:
I would not be able to slob around in my dressing gown for half the morning if I felt like it.

I would not do Mondays as I have an early yoga class, but every other day is fine.

Shall I offer?

TrendyNannie6 Mon 11-Nov-19 14:44:33

I would give it a trial run and make it known that’s what you would like to do to see how you get on, obviously you would like to help, it’s the only way of knowing,as I notice you say you will be walking that’s ok in reasonable weather but what about in bad weather, give it a go and good luck

GreenGran78 Mon 11-Nov-19 14:49:19

I would offer to do it for a trial period - maybe a month? You could then decide if you want to make a firm commitment, or let them look for an alternative. Do they have any neighbours who take their children to the school? Perhaps they would take it on for a small payment.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 11-Nov-19 14:55:25

In your place I would certainly offer. If the offer is accepted you will see more of your grandchild and get more exercise and you DIL will almost certainly appreciate the offer, even if she doesn't accept it.

sfawcitt Mon 11-Nov-19 14:58:35

Yes! YES! Lovely time with GD. With the proviso that you can still take holidays. Enjoy

Callistemon Mon 11-Nov-19 15:03:55

I didn't mean that we are not involved in their lives when they go to senior school, but not as much in their school lives as we are when they're in primary school.

I would make the most of it, BlueSapphire

Buffy Mon 11-Nov-19 15:24:09

That's what Grandmothers are for!! Gor for it.

BlueSapphire Mon 11-Nov-19 15:33:12

I have been carefully reading through all your kind replies, thank you, and the overwhelming consensus seems to be to go for it. Sorry I have not been back to the thread earlier, but had to be earlier out of the door this morning for yoga, so a bit short of time.

I am thinking of waiting to see how DDil gets on this week before offering, so will sleep on it for a few more nights.

DGD would have to be delivered to me; I no longer drive and it is a 15 minute walk to their house and I'm not sure whether I fancy that now that the mornings are getting darker. It is also a 15 minute walk to school from there; about the same distance from where I live too.

I already pick DGD up from school two afternoons a week, give her tea and get her ready for clubs. The elder DGD is at secondary school now, and gets herself to and from school.

I think offering a trial run till Christmas perhaps(?) might be a good idea, but will leave it till Thursday and see what DDil's commute has been like this week, and say perhaps I could be of help, and then leave it for her and DS to discuss and decide. After all, they know DGD best.

Many thanks again for your wise answers.

notanan2 Mon 11-Nov-19 16:08:28

Sounds very sensible. A bite sized trial until christmas is perfect!

Goingtobeagranny Mon 11-Nov-19 17:06:42

I love looking after my granddaughters but they are a baby and a toddler and they wear me out, wouldn’t change it for the world.
Why don’t you either suggest doing for a few weeks and then if you’re managing just keep it going, or even say you’ll do it for 3 days a week?
Hope it works out for both of you x

Eskay10 Mon 11-Nov-19 17:32:31

Yes. and if you want to go on holiday or cannot do it, I'm sure she can make another arrangement. We all have to chip in these days. Life can be difficult and stressful in so many ways that we never experienced. Anything to help your DS and DiL will be appreciated.

Happiyogi Mon 11-Nov-19 18:10:48

I think a trial makes sense. Would it be possible for you to help on three days a week so you can have a calm morning before yoga and another morning for PJ slobbing?

Just as a matter of interest, I wonder how parents will manage in ten or twenty years when, as someone mentioned earlier, grandparents will be working until they're much older. Many of the family 'safety nets' which operate now may disappear.

Abuelana Mon 11-Nov-19 18:24:02

Of course you should. We have our DGD 3/4 times a week. She’s dropped off at 7.30 by which time I’m up and showered.
I’m finding the extra hours am are so useful. What I did have to do was adjust my going to bedtime. Good luck. I think your DIL will think you are an angel when you offer...

Desdemona Mon 11-Nov-19 18:32:43

Yes do it. It isn't for long really, as she is in year 5, and your daughter in law and son seem fine with any changes to the routine like holidays, being unwell etc.

Grammajules Mon 11-Nov-19 18:45:47

I’d love our grandsons to be nearer so we could help more. Twice to three times a month we get up at 5am to travel 80 + miles to baby sit for DD who works full time.
I make dinner, take it with us, , a 2 and a half hour journey to get there around 8.30 am. Traffic hell. Take 5 yr old to school and look after the 2 year old. Help bath them after dinner then home around 10pm.
Very tiring and I especially hate the dark cold winter months. Sometimes stay over but has to be in a B & B as no room at the inn.
But they will soon be in school, so I like to think I can do it.
We never had any grandparents to help with my girls so feel grateful I can do it. It’s not forever.
All things must pass...

LuckyFour Mon 11-Nov-19 18:47:26

Could you try it for two days a week to begin with and see how it goes. You could increase it if it works out well or stop it if you hit unexpected problems. Talk to your DiL and see if she likes the idea and is willing to give it a try with the proviso there's no hard feelings if it doesn't work out.

Chardy Mon 11-Nov-19 19:36:47

Personally I would see this as a chance to grow closer to DGD and DiL

Onlyme21 Mon 11-Nov-19 20:47:47

Gas tarrifs without standing charge

Rebecca3 Mon 11-Nov-19 21:43:12

I have to say how v impressed I have been with wise, solid advice from other gransnetters. In loads of different circumstances. Think you are an awesome advice-base. V reassuring to know you are out there.

Ydoc Mon 11-Nov-19 21:55:56

I would, it would do them both a favour. I'd love to spend the time with grandchild.

HettyMaud Mon 11-Nov-19 22:05:03

What a lovely start to your day. I’m sure your DiL and DGD will welcome it. Your DiL might have thought of it herself perhaps but didn’t like to ask. Let us know what you decide.

crazyH Mon 11-Nov-19 22:06:39

Bluesapphire - you must help if you can. I know its hard to give up your morning lie-in or staying in Pjs till lunchtime. If you can do a couple of mornings, it will be lovely for everyone...better relationships all round. Good Luck ....

HappyBumbleBee Mon 11-Nov-19 23:33:49

Not sure if it's been suggested and I've missed it but how about offering for say three mornings a week to start? Good idea giving it a trial too, and equally a good idea to take your time before offering - I'm terrible, I jump right in with offer and then kick myself because I haven't thought it through fully haha x

Mcrc Tue 12-Nov-19 02:59:09

I would jump at the chance. Our grandbabies live 9-12 hours away. If she wants you to help out and you work out a schedule, then Yay! Don't overthink it.

Bugbabe2019 Tue 12-Nov-19 06:29:40

I wouldn’t want to commit to every morning but maybe 3 mornings a week!

Faye Tue 12-Nov-19 08:25:31

BlueSapphire* I would do it without a thought. The walk will be good for you and your GD is at a great age. This time will speed by.

I have looked after all of my grandchildren over the years. I am close with them all,