Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's everyone planning to eat today?

(69 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 20-Nov-19 11:25:28

I've just had an Ocado delivery so my stock of goodies is high.

I did a 90 minute riverwalk early this morning in the freezing cold and later have a jazz dance class (just showing off here) so deserve big rations!

I'm eyeing a salmon en croute for lunch smile

sodapop Thu 21-Nov-19 16:08:22

Home made pea soup for lunch then spag bol tonight. Jacket potato for me as I don't like pasta. We are reducing the amount of meat we eat, two or three days veggie or fish. I wouldn't like to stop eating meat totally.

dragonfly46 Thu 21-Nov-19 15:49:26

Mushroom risotto.

BBbevan Thu 21-Nov-19 15:42:02

Did the weekly shop this morning and had my weekly treat, coffee and a cake when I got home. No more cake 'til next week. I am still eating low carb, so this evening it s LC scamorza and chorizo pizza with salad ( basically an omelette) I shall do a baked potato for DH. Then berries and yogurt if we are still hungry.

Alexa Thu 21-Nov-19 12:37:42

A fish finger sandwish with ketcup

Greyduster Thu 21-Nov-19 11:34:58

We were planning to eat a lovely Indian meal out, but that appears to have fallen through, so, as I made boeuf stroganoff last night, we are falling back on fish and chips tonight, because I am b******d if I am going to cook!

shysal Thu 21-Nov-19 10:30:54

I am following the Fast 800 eating plan, so for brunch I shall have homemade Keto bread with a little oven baked Camembert and salad. Dinner will be ham hock with cheesy cauli mash and green veg. If I can spare enough calories I will treat myself to a packet of chicken crackling. All this is eaten within an 8 hour time slot.
I haven't missed the carbs at all, which has surprised me. I drink lots of water to avoid the need for prunes!!

Pudding123 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:19:10

Sweet potato soup for me and yesterday's home made spelt bread and tonight leftover macaroni cheese from yesterday and fruit for a snack.

loopylou Thu 21-Nov-19 10:07:03

I'm in the middle of making chicken soup from the remains of a roast, it's smelling good ? Will have with sourdough toast followed by fruit for lunch, homemade pâté and salad with a jacket potato for supper plus umpteen cups of coffee I expect!

BradfordLass72 Thu 21-Nov-19 05:01:08

Many years ago, when I became vegetarian people asked me all the itme if I was planning to live on nut cutlets and lentils.

I pointed out that beans and chips, or on toast; avocado salad, vegetable soup, frittata or curry were all vegetarian, as are boiled or scrambled eggs, omelette, many sandwiches and pretty much every salad.

Nowadays, when vegetarianism is perfectly normal and not a bit weird, the tag seems to have been hung on poor vegans, whose food is just as delicious as anyone else's.

I am no longer vegetarian, so this is not 'moral high ground' stuff.

BradfordLass72 Thu 21-Nov-19 04:48:47

I was planning to eat lovely poached fish with broccoli but the best laid plans.....

What I actually ate was dolmas and chicken which had been in the freezer a month.

crystaltipps Thu 21-Nov-19 04:44:03

www.quora.com/Why-are-vegans-and-vegetarians-OK-with-killing-plants-but-not-animals

crystaltipps Thu 21-Nov-19 04:40:12

monica I can assure you that fungi do not have a brain or central nervous system and cannot feel emotions or pain in the same way as animals. I think a simple dissection should tell you that. But if your research suggests otherwise I would be interested to read it.

M0nica Wed 20-Nov-19 23:36:32

The research I have read rather suggests they do

MissAdventure Wed 20-Nov-19 20:14:12

I wasn't planning on eating a particular meal (unless someone else was cooking) so I had cheese and tomatoes on toast.

crystaltipps Wed 20-Nov-19 20:03:33

Monica Fungi don’t have a central nervous system so I don’t think I need to worry, but obviously I didn’t know meat came in forms other than slabs sothanks for enlightening me,

Harris27 Wed 20-Nov-19 19:12:59

Oh hetty58 my mum was like that and my sister can remember what we had every night of the week! She does make me laugh!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 19:08:20

Mushroom stroganoff - ready meal from Marks as had busy day and think I’m sickening for something.

M0nica Wed 20-Nov-19 19:05:24

Crystaltipps Meat is not always slabs of meat. It can be minced, diced, come as fat or suet, meat can come in many different forms, sizes and quantities

Personally I do not like slabs of meat and do not eat them. I prefer to eat meat in small quantities and savour it.

By the way do you know that research has shown a rich fungal biome living under forests where trees and fungus communicate with each other and rally round to help those who are affected by disease or dying. This is becoming very close to being a colony that works like a sentient being. You may need to limit your diet even further.

fizzers Wed 20-Nov-19 18:52:08

I made a sweet and sour chicken and mushroom stir fry at lunchtime. Cheese, beetroot, cucumber and tomato sandwich about 5.30pm, oh and a bag of crisps A hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows with chocolate powder early this morning whilst out shopping! apart from coffee, that will be me done for the day.

suzette1613 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:42:53

We are eating later, just tea, toast and marmite for breakfast, but roast pheasant, peas and Mediterranean vegetables for dinner soon.
May have a hot chocolate (bad weather treat) before bedtime.

grapefruitpip Wed 20-Nov-19 18:42:28

crystal tips and meat munchers......is there no middle way? surely?

Suki70 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:39:27

Last week I arranged to go out to lunch today with two friends. Unfortunately when we got to the restaurant I had no appetite at all so they tucked into a main course and a pud while I nust had a coffee. The waitress did give me two chocolates though.

Gonegirl Wed 20-Nov-19 18:36:34

My dinner went down very nicely. Marks and Sparks do quite a nice meatball, and I do a fantastic cheese sauce. smile

Mapleleaf Wed 20-Nov-19 18:34:36

Yes, it is up to them, and it's up to others if they choose not to eat meat. That's my point crystaltips - choice.

kittylester Wed 20-Nov-19 18:30:55

I am very happy with that thank you.