Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's everyone planning to eat today?

(68 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 20-Nov-19 11:25:28

I've just had an Ocado delivery so my stock of goodies is high.

I did a 90 minute riverwalk early this morning in the freezing cold and later have a jazz dance class (just showing off here) so deserve big rations!

I'm eyeing a salmon en croute for lunch smile

janeainsworth Wed 20-Nov-19 11:43:21

We’re having scrambled egg on whole meal toast with a bit of smoked salmon for lunch.
I’ve got some chicken out of the freezer for tonight & will probably marinade it in soy sauce, lime & ginger & have it with peanut sauce and rice and salad.
I’ve got a bit of chocolate pecan fudge cake left over for dessert.
<mouth waters already>
grin

kittylester Wed 20-Nov-19 11:49:34

Well, I got two spatchcocked poussins out of the freezer (they had been intended for the barbecue!) and will do baked potatoes and salad to go with them.

A very lazy meal - with left overs for tomorrow's lunch.

glammanana Wed 20-Nov-19 11:51:07

All above sounds yummy I have just made a pan of homemade veg soup with leftover veg from the week-end I will have some crusty bread from our local home bakery.

BlueSapphire Wed 20-Nov-19 12:13:31

Tuna sandwich and a large satsuma for lunch.
Mexican chicken traybake for dinner with rice and kidney heans. A substantial meal as DD will be here and we need to line our stomachs before going to wine club!
Will have a bit of supper and some nibbles at wine club, along with the wine, obviously! The hostess for the evening usually puts on a light buffet.

tanith Wed 20-Nov-19 12:18:19

Chicken on granary and and apple for lunch and I have a small piece of steak with a jacket potato for dinner.

Hetty58 Wed 20-Nov-19 12:33:06

Do many people actually plan what to eat earlier in the day? I don't tend to (unless I have visitors) but just open the fridge freezer and see what I fancy. If I don't want anything there I go to the laptop and try Just-Eat!

Fennel Wed 20-Nov-19 12:55:45

I plan ahead and try to shop/ cook for at least 2 days.
We don't eat a lot and have our main meal in 10 minutes!
Today we're having pasta with red pepper sauce, baked trout, and side salad.
In the evening I usually have a cheese and tomato toastie, husband has something sweet, fruit buns and jam, he has a sweet tooth.

aggie Wed 20-Nov-19 13:00:01

Pitta and salmon and some humus if I find any lurking in the fridge . Followed by some of my birthday chocolates left over from the weekend ?

Calendargirl Wed 20-Nov-19 13:07:09

Cold roast goose, with a potato, onion and cheese mash, apple jelly, followed by no fat Greek yogurt with home made rose hip syrup.

Gonegirl Wed 20-Nov-19 13:18:34

Two snatched cheese sarnies for lunch. God knows what for dinner.

I've got this jobs list.......

Miles to go before I sleep.

FlexibleFriend Wed 20-Nov-19 14:00:51

I had muesli and yoghurt for breakfast then later tried 2 mince pies from aldi so probably won't eat again till about 9pm which will probably be a quorn curry.

DanniRae Wed 20-Nov-19 14:02:15

I've just had a toasted cheese sandwich and a cuppa soup. Tonight we are having sausages, fried eggs and (oven) chips. Mr R will probably want beans as well.

Auntieflo Wed 20-Nov-19 14:14:20

We've just had a bacon sarnie.
Followed by an apple for me, and crisps for DH. All washed down by 2 mugs of tea each. (Weak and black)
Tonight, it's going to be a Waitrose " Treacle cured, flat iron steak", with new potatoes and some sort of frozen veg. Followed by ice cream for DH and yogurt for me.

Mapleleaf Wed 20-Nov-19 14:14:54

I tend to make batches of meals, e.g. stew and dumplings, lasagne, chicken in a sauce of some kind, etc, during the weekend to have with DH, then freeze the extra into single portions to have at a later date during week days, or I might do some fish or have omelette filled with whatever vegetable I might have to hand (peppers, mushroom, tomato) with salad and/or a few oven chips. Tonight, it will be lasagne. Lunch tends to be something light and today it has been pate on ryvita followed by fruit and then coffee and a biscuit.

M0nica Wed 20-Nov-19 14:24:19

Salmon Shanty, sweetcorn and fresh fruit for lunch. Pasta alla Norma and stewed rhubarb this evening.

In reply to Hetty I plan my meals a week in advance so I can do all the food shopping on one trip to the supermarket 5 miles away. I do not always stick to it, circumstances can change it; like work on our central heating and gas supply over running by three days or DH going to Denmark for work at short notice. But what is left today will form the basis for my menu plan for next week.

If I left it to the day we would starve, I am hopeless at shopping for anything, clothes or food, if I do not have a clear idea what I want something for. so I would go round the supermarket, no list, no focus and would end up feeling bored and the sight of all that food would stop me feeling hungry and leave me almost feeling queasy so I would go home empty-handed and fridge, freezer and cupboards would be bare.

travelsafar Wed 20-Nov-19 14:41:59

Hubby not feeling to good today off to GP tomorrow i waited on the line this morning being 20th in the queue but managed to get him an appointment.smile He just wants comfort food, his go to when unwell, Ambrosia Rice pudding with their custard. So he will have that, i might have a salmon salad with beetroot , yummy, or i may just have a bowl of cornflakes with a banana. Just nice to have a evening of no cooking!!! lol

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Nov-19 15:07:00

My chef (DH) is having a day off today. I was out with the girls for lunch and had a tuna melt panini and salad. We’re both going out for a meal tonight and I‘ve pre-ordered garlic mushrooms, then salmon, baby potatoes, veg and a prawn sauce. Then it’s on to my reading group where there’ll be savoury nibbles with the wine and sweet nibbles with the coffee.

It’s just as well I do two fast days a week. smile

NannyJan53 Wed 20-Nov-19 15:15:41

Porridge this morning. Homemade Veg soup for lunch.

Tonight we are having Spag Bol, homemade of course. Which was in the freezer as I batch cook and freeze portions.

I too plan meals in advance, then it is easier to go shopping. It often deviates though smile, but I least I know we have meals for the week.

merlotgran Wed 20-Nov-19 15:18:52

Chicken (leftovers), leek and mushroom risotto.

Hetty58 Wed 20-Nov-19 15:22:35

Everyone seems to be eating a lot of meat, fish and dairy. Where are all the vegans?

NannyJan53 Wed 20-Nov-19 15:25:42

Three out of two of my meals today are veggie smile

timetogo2016 Wed 20-Nov-19 15:29:40

Leftover chicken add chicken soup corn peas carrots and mix them together then basmati rice on plate first add chicken mix topped with chicken crisps.
A lot of chicken but oh so tasty on a cold day/evening.

Charleygirl5 Wed 20-Nov-19 15:30:35

Smoked salmon on toast for lunch and chicken curry for supper. I try to plan in advance so I can cook and if necessary, freeze. No wine this week, I opned a bottle towards the end of last week.

Hetty58 Wed 20-Nov-19 15:30:43

Only Glammanana seems to be having just veggies. MOnica, I'm not organised at all so I just order a large shop monthly then 'fill in' with fresh food from the local shop when I'm out walking the dog.

I cook large quantities from habit, then freeze my own ready meals. I can't imagine having a week's menu planned as I don't know what I'll fancy. A chap at work knew exactly what was for dinner, depending on the day, as his wife always cooked the same things. I did feel sorry for him!