Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mother-in-law stopping by unannounced

(224 Posts)
Naty Thu 28-Nov-19 21:29:51

Hi, I'm looking for advice. I'm 34 years old. I've been married for two years, with husband for 10. We have a four month old and live in Italy. I love my in-laws. They are always there when we need them and paid for a good portion of the house we live in (they wanted us to be helped while they're alive now instead of inheriting money). This is our first child, their fourth grandchild, but the others are 10 years and older. Ours was a much anticipated baby.

We live 400 meters away from them and my MIL is frequently walking by on her way to grocery shop and other errands. She comes right up to the windows and looks in to see if I'm home...it's getting me upset because this can be any time during the day and I'm on mat-leave. I want to enjoy this baby fully, as well as the time I have at home. So far, we usually go over for Saturday lunch and then I make an effort to call them over for a visit every other day or I go there. I always call to see what they are doing first. My issue is, my MIL "is just dropping by" on her way to and from places...but we are ALWAYS on the way...I want her to call before coming. The baby sleeps a lot and I breastfeed her a lot. I don't mind them there when I'm feeding her, but they've peered in the windows and knocked on them while I'm on the couch and I have no choice but to get up and unlock the door for them...the baby wakes and cries..this has happened twice. Other times my MIL comes and doesn't knock, but calls my name. I'm usually upstairs with the baby putting her to sleep and I don't hear her. Then the MIL goes home and calls me to see where I've been. The last straw was the other day I closed all of the shutters at 5pm and had a shower..i get out to draw my baby a bath and my in-laws are at the door calling my name softly but not knocking in case they wake the baby. I ignored them and gave my baby a bath. Pissed! I was so angry. .i have told them to call me before coming many times, but they still show up randomly.

The next day my baby and I visited them (i called first) and they were so happy to see us. They said they had come to the door and I told them i had heard them but didnt answer because we were naked and i was too frazzeled in that moment and to please call before...they were like "oh yes, of course! We didn't have the phone with us. We were just stopping by."

How do I get them to understand? Am I being unreasonable or selfish? They see their grandchild every second day...but the close proximity makes me an easy target for an MIL who doesn't drive. I'm pissed because her own daughter doesn't have to deal with this...but in.all fairness the in-laws and all their friends tend to be stopper-by people. I'm sure it's a generational and cultural thjng

But I'm stressed out and want it to stop. My husband agrees but I haven't sent him to speak on my behalf yet. Help!

Naty Mon 30-Dec-19 00:42:55

I hope so.

The MIL does comment to the baby whenever she hasn't seen her for a day, though "Oh, I didn't even see you yesterday"...but I try to take that for what it is...just a stated fact, rather than an expectation.

My sister is here for the holidays, so we've been a bit busy trying to pack everything in.

Naty Mon 30-Dec-19 00:39:44

Yes, it all does seem like a fairy tale...but we all have issues over here too!!!

And yes: I'm lucky to have people who care about us on both sides of the Atlantic.

The food, weather and art IS lovely...

paintingthetownred Sun 29-Dec-19 21:55:23

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Summerlove Sun 29-Dec-19 21:50:10

I’m so glad things are mostly working out!

I hope you’re able to relax the rest of your maternity leave

Naty Sun 29-Dec-19 03:31:56

The MIL has stopped all unannounced visits since posting! I think they got the hint!

My husband also got in on it and when his parents told him their friends would be visiting, he told them not to show up at the house.

Unfortunately things backfired because he didn't tell me about their dear friends being over until ten minutes before the baby went for a nap, so we had to run over to the in-laws at lunchtime and the baby started crying almost immediately. Had he told me about it, I would have arranged a proper visit with their friends...sigh...

I think him telling them pointedly NOT to show up here sealed it for them. It's a shame I had to put my foot down.

As a new mom I'm aware that I'm more territorial, and protective than before.

I love my in-laws, but I think they (and we) just needed some time to adjust to their new roles in our lives..

Summerlove Sat 21-Dec-19 16:13:37

How’re you making out Naty?

Naty Mon 16-Dec-19 16:40:05

In Canada a drop in visit is an exception, but not the rule! And it would NOT be daily or weekly.

And I'm sure she's comparing her involvement with my child to that of her daughter
(her daughter dropped off washing to hang, fold and iron every second day and needed babysitting all the time, and went for extended visits and lunch every day with the kids...but I'm just not like that. I like cleaning my own house, making my own meals and having some semblance of autonomy)...

If they ever needed me, I'd drop everything for them and vice versa.

Maybe when I'm at work, we'll go there for a meal during the week...but I just don't require the help at the moment, and I don't think being dependant is loving, either. My own mother would be asking me "What's for lunch?" Or ..."let's go out, I'm bored" ...Haha

Thank you for your input, ladies!

Naty Mon 16-Dec-19 16:31:08

I think they understand the request but they can't resist dropping in because, like you said; they've ALWAYS lived like this. Our house is a tantalizing treat filled with baby...I get it! But they probably sense that I'm not appreciative of drop ins and are limiting them as much as they can humanly muster.

My own mom or sister or you name it wouldnt do this to me, why would she??

Naty Mon 16-Dec-19 16:27:34

Hi ladies, I THINK they may have understood the rules. We'll see, won't we?

Since I last checked in she hasn't dropped by unannounced EXCEPT for yesterday when my husband was home. I was upstairs with the baby and they had ALREADY seen the baby that day at 1:30pm (maybe for 15 minutes when my husband went over to them but the baby fusses when she's without me, so he came back)...and he told them WE would stop by later in the evening.

Well, they dropped by at 5pm to tell us they were going out to their friends (dropping by them) around the corner so if we went by, they wouldn't be home.

I was upstairs with the baby and didn't come down.

So I'm thinking it's their way of seeing the baby whenever they can.
In any case, we did go by later in the evening (texting beforehand) at around 8.00pm before bedtime.

I also called today and went over for an hour to see them in the afternoon.

They are over the moon with the baby, but I need my space, time, privacy and mental real estate.

Starlady Sun 15-Dec-19 01:10:17

"I could technically get the window coverings, but I think that might be too much of a "stop looking in my damn windows" signal to her."

That may be what she needs, Naty.

I'm glad you asked her to babysit. Clearly, she's thrilled, and it will put your need for privacy in perspective. Plus, maybe after a few hours of childcare, she'll be ready to go home and relax. But I'm glad you're setting boundaries. Please be prepared to enforce them, though, in case she tries to cross them.

I get that being a new mum has magnified some of your other issues. The last thing you need is to be unable to relax in your own home. Hugs! Hopefully, things will get better as time moves on.

But I've posted a lot. Now I'll be quiet.

Tricia, I'm so sorry about your negative experiences w/ MIL

Starlady Sun 15-Dec-19 00:52:57

Icanhandthemback, I understand the "when in Rome" comment. But MY home is MY Rome, and there I feel I can set the rules. Same for Naty, I believe.

Starlady Sun 15-Dec-19 00:43:42

Oh, sorry, just saw your comment about why you don't want curtains, etc.

I see you also don't want to move. You just want your ILs to be considerate enough to call ahead. But I don't think that will happen unless you find some way to enforce this. So, IMO, there has to be a way you can stay out of sight when you're home or, sorry, but you might have to move - not far, just enough so you are not in walking distance.

Starlady Sun 15-Dec-19 00:34:11

Also love ReadyMeals suggestion about the curtains - anything so that they can't see into your home.

Starlady Sun 15-Dec-19 00:24:49

Love Flexible's advice about shutters! Also, I understand the issue about cultural differences. But you have a right to assert your own needs.

Starlady Sun 15-Dec-19 00:20:58

Haven't read through the whole thread, but just want to say, Naty, that I think it's beautiful that you have such a good relationship w/ your PILs, overall, and that you appreciate them. Sorry for the dropping by problem, but think you handed it well when you simply didn't answer. I don't believe they "don't understand" that you want them to call first, they just don't want to do it. They are used to dropping in, as you say, and they've gotten away with it, so they think they still can. At this point, you need to show them, IMO (as you did the last time), not try to ask or tell them. Don't come downstairs when they're at the door, don't get up from the couch, etc. If they see you don't answer when they don't call first, hopefully, they will learn to do so or stop coming over when uninvited.... Now to finish reading the thread, LOL!

Madgran77 Sat 14-Dec-19 19:32:03

*OutsideDave I think that if your husband is empowered to speak up
And be clear then there will be less of this misunderstanding. You may live in Italy, but you are not required to 100% live as an Italian and they too must be prepared to adapt to having a North American DIL. To be clear is to be kind. Have your husband spell out that you don’t like drop bys but welcome their visits if they ASK FIRST. It takes no time to send a text or make a call.*

I think Outside Dave is giving you good advice!

Summerlove Sat 14-Dec-19 17:56:58

“Tolerance” feels and sounds like being bullied to me as well Naty. Is mil still backing off?

SirChenjin Sat 14-Dec-19 17:29:01

Hang on in there - having a baby is a massive life change and it can be a very lonely time. You’ve got nightmare PIL to deal with too, so that’s going to add to things. Have you got friends over there? Have you joined a parent and baby group or similar?

Naty Sat 14-Dec-19 14:55:11

I'm unhappy in Italy due to the lack of physical proxmity to my family and my career choices. Something has to change. I have to change something.

Naty Sat 14-Dec-19 14:51:34

This does not sound appealing to me at all. 'Tolerance' sounds like getting bullied to me.

annep1 Wed 11-Dec-19 12:49:38

Exactly Smileless and the longsuffering DiL. My half Italian MiL was good to me but she was the head of the family.

Smileless2012 Wed 11-Dec-19 09:30:09

I know what you mean annepl, the opening scene when they know 'they're coming' and try to make it look as if they're out, then Marie's hand comes through the letter box and touches the top of Raymond's head, it's so funny but would be a nightmare if it was for real.

annep1 Wed 11-Dec-19 09:21:42

Watching Everybody Loves Raymond and it made me think of this thread. Its very funny but maybe not so in real life.

annep1 Mon 09-Dec-19 12:32:21

OMG Tricia how did you cope? I could/would not have taken that quietly.

Summerlove Mon 09-Dec-19 12:29:29

Tricia that story is horrifying. As is your normalising of her behaviour.