Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Smart meters

(30 Posts)
Sunny82z Sat 28-Dec-19 13:30:10

I am being bombarded with emails and letters by my elec/gas supplier to fit a smart meter, has anyone done this and has it been a problem?
Thanks.

phoenix Sat 28-Dec-19 13:32:24

Yes I have, no it wasn't (stopped my husband filling the kettle every time!) but have now changed provider, so smart meter now defunct.

NotSpaghetti Sat 28-Dec-19 13:36:46

It’s ridiculous that they all have their own.
What a waste!

Esspee Sat 28-Dec-19 13:39:30

At the moment I am not bothering as it wouldn’t save me any money.
If I choose to go with a different supplier it would probably result in having to have the old smart meter replaced as the power companies use different systems.
Once they all get their act together I might consider it as by that time using a stepladder and torch to check the readings could be more problematical.?

tanith Sat 28-Dec-19 13:42:14

I don’t as I am already as careful as I can be with my usage a smart meter would not be useful.

Beechnut Sat 28-Dec-19 14:12:18

I have one. It wasn’t a problem. It doesn’t save you money having one just lets you see what appliance uses, in my case electric more than others. The only difference for me is that I can see the little gadget on the work top much easier than standing on steps opening a cupboard door and watching the wheel spin round on old meter. I don’t get in a tizzy about how much power is used but I’m not wasteful. If I want a cuppa I will have one.

GagaJo Sat 28-Dec-19 14:31:34

My tenant had one fitted (I don't have one). He watches it like a hawk and adjusts his use accordingly. Good for him! Sensible young man, but then, he IS an accountant.

SueDonim Sat 28-Dec-19 14:39:35

I’m always getting offered smart meters. I enquired about it and they said they can’t fit one because our area has limited mobile signal and it won’t work. So why offer in the first place? confused

MiniMoon Sat 28-Dec-19 14:51:58

We have one. I barely look at it. DH tuts if it goes over about £6 a day!

It's winter, we need heat and light!

Calendargirl Sat 28-Dec-19 15:51:34

We have solar panels, and I understand smart meters upset their working properly, so I wouldn’t have one.

tinaf1 Sat 28-Dec-19 16:02:03

Apparently if you don’t have a smart meter the big six energy suppliers will not offer you their cheapest tariff when your old one is up for renewal.
I have recently had a big discussion with NPower over this.

Charleygirl5 Sat 28-Dec-19 16:40:33

Calendargirl my solar panels have not been affected by my smart meter.

I needed one because of my macular degeneration I could not read the meters which were outside. I now get accurate bills. I would not be without.

I was told because I was given the latest it would be compatible if I changed firms.

I have never had a moment's bother with it- it is small and sits in a corner.

GrandmaKT Sat 28-Dec-19 16:55:00

Yes, we have one and have not had any problem. It's interesting to start with to check how much energy is being used, but the novelty soon wore off! It means that the energy company can read the meter remotely without having to bother you.

Cabbie21 Sat 28-Dec-19 17:49:57

We won’t have one.
The current version won’t work if you switch supplier.
We use what we want to use and knowing how much it is costing won’t change that.
It is a lie to say it will automatically save you money.
We can see to read our meters , so we don’t get estimated bills.
And finally, DH thinks they act as a spy in your home.

Calendargirl Sat 28-Dec-19 17:55:25

Charleygirl5

That’s good to know, thank you.

Fiachna50 Sat 28-Dec-19 18:20:51

They can be very easily hacked! I wouldn't touch one. Do a search on them, you will find out alot of information. Plus, if you get the older model, you will not be able to change to the cheaper fuel supplier. They are not compulsory.

BlueSapphire Sat 28-Dec-19 19:00:17

I keep being pestered as well, by letter, text and emails. I won't have one as I can't see any benefit except for the company. And when we once agreed to have one many moons ago, the engineer who came said he couldn't do it as the signal wasn't good enough.

Tedber Sat 28-Dec-19 19:00:49

We've got one but we forget it's there most of time so no real benefit. I have no idea IF it can be read instead of reading the meter? Half the time it is unplugged? We changed from one supplier to another and it was a 'condition' of supply so just went for it.

What do you mean they can be hacked Fiachna50 Do you mean other people can tune in to your gas and electricity? Bit worrying. What if it is unplugged most of the time? Nobody has got on to us to say "Hey get your smart meter plugged in"

GrandmaKT Sat 28-Dec-19 19:01:22

@Fiachna50 your information is incorrect. They are not easy to hack, and there would be no point in hacking them anyway as they don't hold any data about you or financial information. See www.telegraph.co.uk/property/smart-living/what-do-you-know-about-smart-meters/
Also the latest smart meters are transferable between suppliers. Even if you have one of the older ones, it doesn't mean you can't switch suppliers, it just means that when you do switch the new supplier installs a new meter.

Tedber Sat 28-Dec-19 19:02:30

Ooops crossed post GrandmaKT Thank you for the further info.

GrandmaKT Sat 28-Dec-19 19:04:11

@Tedber - the device you use to read the amount of fuel being used isn't the smart meter, that is attached to your traditional meter. So it doesn't matter to the fuel company if your device is plugged in or not, they can still use your smart meter to check your usage remotely.

GrandmaKT Sat 28-Dec-19 19:05:15

You're welcome Tedber, (crossed again!) smile

Tedber Sat 28-Dec-19 19:07:37

Perfect! Thank you GrandmaKT! I wondered why it didn't seem to matter to anyone when my husband/children/grandchildren plug ipads/playstations/phones in instead smile

bikergran Sat 28-Dec-19 19:12:44

I won't be having one, someone has to pay for the smart meters somewhere down the line also an engineer to fit them etc. Although the home owner 'doesn't pay there and then. I would be interested how they are funded/paid for etc.

GrandmaKT Sat 28-Dec-19 19:16:16

@bikergran, they are paid for out of the gas and electricity charges we pay, so you are paying for them whether you have one or not.