Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Smart meters

(31 Posts)
Sunny82z Sat 28-Dec-19 13:30:10

I am being bombarded with emails and letters by my elec/gas supplier to fit a smart meter, has anyone done this and has it been a problem?
Thanks.

phoenix Sat 28-Dec-19 19:27:02

As mentioned, it did stop Mr P putting a completely full kettle on to boil for just 2 mugs of coffe, it was quite alarming to see the usage display shoot up, so in that respect it has saved money!

Daddima Sat 28-Dec-19 19:52:10

We’re also in an area where the Vodafone signal is not good enough. Unless you’ve a three tier off peak meter, it’s not rocket science to look at how many units you’ve used, and multiply that by the cost per unit!

Regarding bypassing meters, I remember we were getting a new meter, and I had to laugh when the fellow fitting it said the firm would probably have employed a team of highly paid experts to make them tamperproof, and he guaranteed that, within the month, two wee guys in a pub in Glasgow would have worked out how to fiddle the electric!

( I only say Glasgow because it’s our nearest city. Other city pubs are available!)

bikergran Sun 29-Dec-19 19:07:45

Grandma hmmm I thought as much tut...I may as well have one then ehhh.. tut,

Fiachna50 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:28:03

Grandma KT no my information is not wrong. However, don't take my word for it. There is loads of information re Smart device hacking. Alexa being another item that can be hacked. I won't be having anything "Smart" don't trust it. Also, just wait till all these energy companies have everyone on Smart Meters, they will put you onto the dearest tariff and there wont be a thing you can do. A previous poster is correct, they are already blackmailing people into having them installed by saying they will not put you on the cheapest tariff. They don't work with solar panels either. I do want people to be clear though, they are NOT compulsory and no one should be forced/blackmailed into having one if they do not want one.

M0nica Sun 29-Dec-19 22:45:20

There is no eveidence that there is any significant saving in fuel consumption following installation of a smart meter. The frugal continue to be frugal and the wasteful continue wasteful after the novelty wears off.

Like others we had a smart meter installed and then changed suppliers. We haven't been approached by our current istaller to have a new one, but we will not accept it unless it is a mark 2 meter, which is compatiblle with every other supplier.

Changing meters everytime you change supplier is ludicrous and immensley wasteful of labour and resources.