Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Exhaustion

(90 Posts)
Coughdrop Fri 17-Jan-20 14:14:17

Hello everyone. - just a health question please. My husband and I have both had a horrible flu type bug which started on New Year's Day. We had already had the flu jab so not saying we have had the flu. It's been a horrible bug because even though the other symptoms, such as coughing etc, have gone we both feel like all the stuffing has been knocked out of us. Every day we think tomorrow we might start to feel better, but we don't. Everything exhausts us and we keep nodding off and feel almost too tired to breathe. We are eating ok but the slightest exertion leaves us with legs like jelly and having to sit down. We feel old for the 1st time. Anyone else in the UK had this nasty bug and been left feeling similar after 3 weeks? If so, get well soon. Thank you in advance for any replies. X

crazyH Sat 18-Jan-20 13:20:40

Yes, cough, cough, cough....I've got a respiratory condition anyway ....but this is so exhausting. On top of that, my whole body is itching.....may not be connected but who knows with these Viruses? They cone in different shapes and forms ?????

Aepgirl Sat 18-Jan-20 13:23:37

I haven’t had this bug, but a number of my friends have and have had all the stuffing knocked out of them.

NonnaJazz Sat 18-Jan-20 13:51:32

Cough drop...get well soon. We had it too. Began 27th Dec with symptoms as described. We both feel knocked sideways by it and exhausted with all the wheezing and coughing. Both started to feel better but now being revisited with headaches, earaches, aches and pains and jelly legs! I just want to sleep at the moment. We stagger through the mornings doing the bare essentials then both collapse for rest of the day. Everyone who is going through it, take care of yourselves.

Rosina Sat 18-Jan-20 14:05:31

My GP always says 'never underestimate a virus'. They are vicious little bugs, and the flu type I had several years ago took away my sense of taste and smell (fortunately it has slowly returned). I staggered every time I stood up or got out of bed, almost like a drunk, for months afterwards. Also the cough seems to go on for ever. Listen to your body - if you are able to 'flop' then do so - I took a little exercise each day in the fresh air and then slept for England. Hope you feel better soon.

Caro57 Sat 18-Jan-20 14:22:57

If you’re not able to eat much perhaps a multi vitamin with iron - assuming no contra-indications - and oral vit D. Drink nourishing fluids and pace yourselves gently - these recoveries can take ages

narrowboatnan Sat 18-Jan-20 14:23:45

I had this, as did two of my neighbours. It's Avian Flu, apparently. Our local hospital put out a message about it complete with list of symptoms (all three of us had all of those) and the advice to go to A & E and get swabbed. If the swab proved positive, the message said, then patients would be given a Tamiflu injection. This is a copy and paste of the message that I read:

There’s a flu epidemic at the moment. Kings Lynn Hospital have made an announcement on Lynn Radio. It’s Avian Flu H3N2. The Consultant who saw me said having a flu jab is not guaranteed protection from falling unwell. If you get any symptoms over the weekend go to A&E and get swabbed. If tested positive you’ll be given Tamiflu. I’m only warning you because myself and my daughter were hospitalised with it last weekend. It makes you feel very rough.

Symptoms:
cough
diarrhoea/nausea
respiratory difficulties
fever (over 100.4°F or 38°C)
headache
muscle aches
malaise
runny nose
sore throat

Barmeyoldbat Sat 18-Jan-20 14:32:41

Yes had it before Christmas and felt totally washed out, in fact I did nothing but lie on the bed and sleep. I was coughing so hard at night that I would be sick and always weeing. Turned into a chest infection. Just getting over it and Mr B came down with it and a week later I was ill again. It has seemed never ending this year and I am fed up with it.

sharon103 Sat 18-Jan-20 15:22:53

Both my brothers had it a couple of weeks before Christmas, a week apart. One is 73 and the other 80 and is mostly bed bound. Both single and live together. Had a dreadful cough and all the other symptoms mentioned. They said they had never had anything like it before.
Youngest brother 73 is finally feeling better after 6 weeks. Eldest brother who also had a urine infection at the same time was admitted to hospital 3 days ago and in a very poor way. He's very frail anyway and lost so much weight.
I hope you feel better soon. flowers

Emem Sat 18-Jan-20 16:19:02

Usually I recover quickly from colds and flu, but at the end of last year I was unwell for six weeks with many of the symptoms described. I held off consulting my doctor but was very glad I eventually did. I was still showing signs of a chest infection and after a week of antibiotics I started to feel better, just in time to wave goodbye to christmas guests and collapse onto the sofa. It wasn't the best xmas I have ever had but I'm glad I didn't have to cancel. In future I will not delay going to the surgery. Mostly we don't need antibiotics, but sometimes it's the best solution.

janzicb1 Sat 18-Jan-20 16:51:44

It’s just over three weeks I have had this bug and it’s a nightmare !!! The coughing has almost gone but like the others and cough drop lady I have very little energy and feel listless and a bit depressed too. I’m hopi ng I’m on the way back and the cough will finish but hugs to all of you that shared this awful lurgy!!!

Hetty58 Sat 18-Jan-20 16:55:21

For all those feeling weak and exhausted I think a little walk in the fresh air daily and an afternoon nap work wonders. It takes a long time to get any energy back so go with the flow!

4allweknow Sat 18-Jan-20 17:12:51

There is a virus going round that does leave you feeling shattered for a while. I'm in a choir a d before Christmas several members went down with it. Picked up after New Year and have relapsed. They feel exhausted even though eating and drinking well. Both admit they think they hadn't been fully clear before they got going full pelt again. Take care, rest when you feel you need to. Sure once the days are longer and even some brighter weather that too will help.

angie95 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:14:49

I had the flu jab, but have had a cold ever since, just when I think it's gone, it comes back, sore throat and so tired, it's horrible so hugs to all those who are suffering X

Lancslass1 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:33:43

I was interested to read your posts as I am suffering from the same symptoms as many of you.
It started suddenly on Wednesday afternoon with a cough.
From what I read I may have a bit longer to suffer .
Does anybody else find it more difficult at night ?
Last night I went into the spare room but half way through the night I got up and sat in a chair .
This evening I plan to start off in the sitting room -spare duvet and possibly cat on my knee-and see how I get on.
I assumed it was nothing to do with flu as I have had the flu jab
I am not hungry but do keep drinking water.
Best wishes and a speedy recovery to all who are suffering .

Shelagh6 Sat 18-Jan-20 19:01:20

Had it since NY’s Day - still coughing but not so bad - left with catarrh but according to daughter who was an use it can go on for weeks. Hey ho, I am 88 this year!

Fishpieplease Sat 18-Jan-20 19:25:17

I’m so pleased to see this thread. I’ve had this too since Boxing Day. It’s helping me to feel human again. It’s been truly awful.

lemongrove Sat 18-Jan-20 19:41:02

Me too!
A few weeks in now, still coughing madly.Can’t eat even a mouthful without a coughing bout.Had antibiotics for the last week for infected sinuses, slightly better on that score, but still the cough/sore throat/ chills/ tiredness.Falling asleep all over the place!?

Fishpieplease Sat 18-Jan-20 19:45:56

Lemongrove....at least we’re in the same club! I sound like on 20 cigarettes a day with my cough. It’s embarrassing when I’m out and I have a coughing fit.

Lancslass1 Sat 18-Jan-20 19:51:24

Is the coughing worse when you lie down ?
Even with extra pillows it is impossible to sleep as I cough more.
That is why I intend to sit up in a chair tonight.

grannyticktock Sat 18-Jan-20 20:12:44

I have just about recovered from this awful cough. One thing I found helps is inhaling steam, perhaps with a grain of menthol in it. It helps loosen secretions so you can have a good old clear-out and nose-blow, and it soothes and opens the airways. Another remedy is anything with ginger in it, which helps with wheeziness and tickly coughs.

willa45 Sat 18-Jan-20 20:22:19

Coughdrop.....

Have you considered seeing a doctor?

If symptoms persist, they shouldn't be ignored. Two years ago, my DH stricken with a bad Corona virus. He too was coughing, unable to sleep from breathlessness, falling asleep (in a chair) during the day from sheer exhaustion. Complications of Corona virus led to pneumonia and serious heart problems.
If you don't start to feel better soon, you may want to seek medical advice. Better still, don't wait.

Callistemon Sat 18-Jan-20 20:59:50

My ears keep popping too.

newnanny Sat 18-Jan-20 22:09:52

I sympathise coughdrop. I have had same bug with horrendous cough, struggling to breathe and I am asthmatic too. My throat has been raw and I can't talk which both frustrates and frightens me as I first started to feel ill on Dec 18th. I can't shake it off and still feel so ill, weak and no voice.

newnanny Sat 18-Jan-20 22:11:36

I prop myself up in bed with four pillows and try to nap in between coughing fits.

grannyticktock Sat 18-Jan-20 22:39:14

Oh yes, I've had a blocked ear too. Everything seemed faint and fuzzy for quite a few days, but my hearing is now back to its previous level.