Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hermes delivery

(99 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

H1954 Sat 18-Jan-20 12:51:14

This might sound rather trivial in the great scheme of things but has anyone ever had to complain about a Hermes delivery and how did you go about it? I've searched the website and can find NO WAY of registering a complaint! Problem is,I was expecting a parcel this morning but had to go out so I opted for it to be left with a neighbour by registering it through their proper channels. The parcel was just left by my door and no attempt was made to try the neighbours house!

MayBee70 Wed 24-Nov-21 16:21:13

DillytheGardener

MayBee70 so it’s not just us having our postie move. I might write in and complain, our old postie also did welfare checks on local elderly, he was lovely and he is very missed.

Many of us wrote and asked for him to remain. However the Post Office said thank you for telling us how brilliant he is at his job but ignored the bit where we all asked for him to not be moved.

Daisend1 Wed 24-Nov-21 13:01:36

I also found making a complaint to the 'retailer' concerning delivery standards brings results.Many sellers include delivery in their customer feedback questions

DillytheGardener Wed 24-Nov-21 12:29:59

MayBee70 so it’s not just us having our postie move. I might write in and complain, our old postie also did welfare checks on local elderly, he was lovely and he is very missed.

toscalily Wed 24-Nov-21 12:21:37

I placed an order with Land's end on Friday, it was delivered around lunchtime yesterday via Hermes. Our local Hermes chap has been around for quite a few years, polite friendly and efficient. I give him a five star rating every time.

MayBee70 Wed 24-Nov-21 12:01:20

25Avalon

We had the same MayBee70 with our wonderful postie a few years back. Apparently they like to move them around. It makes no sense when you are in a rural area with properties that can be difficult to locate. If you had a flat tyre or anything wrong he would come and tell you, never knew him to make a wrong delivery, always bright and cheerful and very community minded. We all signed a petition in the village but sadly to no avail. All we could do was give money for a good send off present.

Having had problems with my passport being delivered (or not delivered) by TNT I had some legal stuff delivered by Royal Mail that my postie signed for as I was away at the time and he knows I’m avoiding going to shops or the post office. Surely there’s still a need for reliable personal service in this day and age. I think the Post Office are missing a trick here. He’s really upset as well and they might end up losing a really good employee.

Jaxjacky Wed 24-Nov-21 11:37:22

Our local Hermes have a Facebook page, very helpful they are too.

25Avalon Wed 24-Nov-21 10:56:43

We had the same MayBee70 with our wonderful postie a few years back. Apparently they like to move them around. It makes no sense when you are in a rural area with properties that can be difficult to locate. If you had a flat tyre or anything wrong he would come and tell you, never knew him to make a wrong delivery, always bright and cheerful and very community minded. We all signed a petition in the village but sadly to no avail. All we could do was give money for a good send off present.

MayBee70 Wed 24-Nov-21 10:47:14

Our local postie is being moved to another area. The village is up in arms about it as he’s been a lifeline throughout the pandemic. It makes no sense moving posties around when they know an area so well.

DillytheGardener Wed 24-Nov-21 09:12:49

Hermes is utterly useless where I am. But Royal Mail is now not much better. We had a lovely deliver man who we had for years and years who has now been switched for a new guy (our guy said not his choice they changed his route) and now we have different ones everytime. Several times my Mail has been delivered to another house on our street, where the lady has dementia so getting our post box is impossible. Her husband occasionally brings it over for us, but he isn’t quite right himself. Had a stoush with Royal Mail over a package they insist they delivered but we never received. Luckily the company just refunded us, but Royal Mail insisted they had delivered it. I’m convinced it is languishing in elderly neighbours house

25Avalon Wed 24-Nov-21 08:58:19

Hermes are bottom with Yodel in a Citizen Advice Survey. The best was Amazon but all couriers need to improve their performance as none got more than 3 out of 5.

Looking through previous postings complaining about Hermes I found one which I thought I had generated but I hadn’t. It was dated 2014!

Marydoll Thu 18-Nov-21 12:40:33

Maw, we never have the same DPD courier twice in a row.
A parcel, part of the same order was delivered yesterday, on time by Hermes (and with a smile and a hoping I was OK comment.)
DPD call centre wasn't much better, either!

MayBeMaw Thu 18-Nov-21 12:34:57

It must come down to the local courier.
Mr Singh of DPD (Rosie’s dog food) is a gem
Our newish Hermes courier is a star- friendly, helpful and while rarely punctual, always gets there in the end. Having seen his car stuffed with parcels while I was walking Rosie round the village he has his hands full.
UPS (Gudrun Sjoden guilty purchases) always professional and reliable.
Ocado deliveries (food shopping) and Waitrose, often early but they ring or text to tell me so as to avoid the spectacle of granny in pj’s on the doorstep
Paul the postie - reliable and leaves parcels in a plastic lidded box I have by the front door tucked out of sight - see the pj reference.
So nothing complain about - but just wanted to show there are some very good delivery drivers as well as the other sort.

Marydoll Thu 18-Nov-21 12:20:58

I am back on to rant about DPD. I watched the driver deliver
a parcel to my neighbour, so I came out to get my expected parcel, which according to the App, was only a minute away.

I watched as he drove off without delivering it. I immediately called DPD to complain, to be told the driver couldn't find the address and it wasn't their fault. This is the third time this has happened. ?????

While I am on ranting to DPD, another deliver man was banging my door, attempting to deliver my injections! I may go back to bed.

Caleo Thu 18-Nov-21 11:48:34

I'd rather Hermes left the parcel in my plastic box at the front door than left it with a neighbour. I am very satisfied with Hermes.

Lesley60 Thu 18-Nov-21 11:47:10

I haven’t had any problems with Hermes since I moved to a different area, my previous lady would throw it over the fence in the rain and not leave a card telling me.
I didn’t go out the garden for three days so didn’t know it was there, it was soaked, I was told they only earn 50p for each parcel

jaylucy Thu 18-Nov-21 11:43:10

How do I contact the CEO of Hermes?
myHermes
Visit Customer Services.
Call Customer Services on 033 0333 6556.
Visit Live Chat.
Email Martijn deLange (Chief Executive Officer (CEO)) on [email protected].
Tweet myHermes Customer Services

I had to complain once about a delivery that seemed to have disappeared and seemed to be yo yo ing between the retailer and the courier company , depending on which website I went on. I decided to go straight to the top as it was nigh on impossible to speak to anybody, let alone email a customer services dept.
So I emailed the CEO. I had a reply from one of his minions within a couple of days who tracked my parcel and actually told me where it was (apparently the contents had leaked and it had been returned to the retailer)
You need to be aware that if you read the Hermes website, they see that the responsibility for parcels is with the retailer, not themselves and you need to go back to them for either a refund or a replacementas they can then claim compensation from Hermes.
Sadly, until courier companies are legally responsible for the items that they carry, things are not going to improve.
You could always try this : www.complaintsdepartment.co.uk/myhermes/

Tizliz Thu 18-Nov-21 11:29:20

It is not just in the UK. A Canadian customer last week asked me not to ship via DHL as they just leave it behind his bin even though it must be signed for.

Tizliz Thu 18-Nov-21 11:26:43

What I can’t understand is why I have to pay for insurance against the courier losing the parcel. If I ship via DHL it is 2% of the value, why can’t they make sure they don’t lose it? You can see why suppliers just replace items otherwise they would be paying insurance and spending time making claims

25Avalon Thu 18-Nov-21 11:12:54

Hermes have let us down for over a 12 month now. Head office do nothing. So many things I wanted to order online during lockdown and had nothing but hassle because Hermes do nothing about the bl** awful ones.

Redhead56 Thu 18-Nov-21 10:35:20

Our Hermes driver is very reliable if we are not in and the parcel is too large to leave safely he comes back. I think what would we have done without these drivers especially during full lock down. I feel sorry for people who have been let down by the odd rogue driver but I am grateful to ours. Been let down by DPD and Royal Mail parcel delivery many times.

25Avalon Thu 18-Nov-21 10:31:03

Hermes is a dirty word in my village. Elsewhere I know a Hermes deliverer and she is excellent. Hermes head office needs to get its act together and get rid of the rogues. They won’t though. Their policy is that your contract is with the supplier and once your stuff has been dumped wherever too bad. As suppliers wake up and stop using them maybe they will think again.

Yammy Thu 18-Nov-21 10:24:14

I think it all depends on where you live,we get the same delivery person all the time and they are extremly good and reliable and we have no Street name. I even got a phone call to tell me there had been a mix up in the village and I took the parcel I had and swopped it for mine.
They take the parcels I want to send and will wait while I stick on the label before their due date.

25Avalon Thu 18-Nov-21 10:18:23

Garden Selections do NOT use Hermes yay! Just rang them to check. They say too many complaints and they cannot get through to them by phone either. Other companies take note.
Garden Selections based at Milborne St. Andrew in Dorset have all sorts of bargains too.

Flaxseed Mon 15-Nov-21 21:41:49

I have just emailed a small company to ask who they use. Luckily, they use Royal Mail grin

I will email all companies in future and will boycott any who use Hermes

JaneJudge Mon 15-Nov-21 19:25:07

I tried to politely raise an issue with M&S because they delivered the wrong item and it was impossible sad and I didn't want a refund, I just wanted them to know in case it had been barcoded incorrectly. I even filled in a survey after trying to raise the issue. I have had no response since mid October
what is the point