Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can someone explain from the dog owning world?

(62 Posts)
Toadinthehole Tue 31-Mar-20 16:56:35

I’m usually a lurker, and haven’t really ventured ‘ out ‘ much, but this just incenses me, and I wondered if there is a valid explanation. We went for a walk this afternoon in the woods/fields at the back of us. I took my litter stick as I occasionally do. Why do people put their dog poo in bags and tie them or throw them on/into trees? Am I missing something? Not ever having had a dog, only as a child, I thought someone may know. Just to clarify, they don’t appear to be compostable bags, which wouldn’t be quite as bad. Most are clearly in ordinary bags.

Chestnut Fri 03-Apr-20 14:35:10

Are these the same idiots who stockpile? And the same idiots who are apparently dumping extraordinary amounts of rubbish in various places because the tips are closed? There seems to be a lot of people who are total morons and don't consider either their environment or other people at all. They are either grossly stupid or grossly selfish.

Labaik Fri 03-Apr-20 14:20:54

Local police [on top of having to ask dog owners to keep their dogs away from sheep due to it being lambing season] are now having to ask people not to let their dogs run across crop fields. This on top of [not related to dogs, I know] a local country park closing it's car park only to have people driving for miles and parking dangerously on the road and sewers being blocked because of people flushing wet wipes, tissues and kitchen roll down their toilets makes me glad I'm self isolating and staying at home. What is wrong with people? Oh, and the police say people aren't picking up their dog poo, either; I guess they think, if they walk the dog away from their usual area the rules no longer apply [sigh].

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 15:44:27

Ok so your new route has a rogue dog owner too. Of course it might be something to do with where you live.

Our area is very well supplied with dog litter bins.

BBbevan Thu 02-Apr-20 15:38:14

I think it is not “the odd one” Pikachu. We went for a different walk this morning. Quite a few poo bags lying around.

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 10:10:39

That is disgraceful. As a dog owner I would never do this and neither would any other dog owner I know.

But sadly, there is always the odd one. Rather then suggest there are ‘far, far too many irresponsible dog owners’ I suggest it’s like any other group of people, and you will get those who give others a bad name.

Also it’s quite likely it’s the same person doing it every day.

Toadinthehole Thu 02-Apr-20 09:44:57

Oh yuk, that is gross BBbevan, I feel insignificant now, only having counted about five bags! Thank you for all your responses, I’ve enjoyed reading them all, and makes me feel better, in that it’s not just our neighbourhood. Have to keep picking them up I suppose?.

BBbevan Thu 02-Apr-20 02:53:45

We went for a walk yesterday and counted 14 dog poo bags in various places. Hanging on gates, on walls, in the bushes. These dog owners are lazy s-ds. Yuk.

Chestnut Wed 01-Apr-20 23:20:06

I think certain towns have a lot more dogs than others. I've lived in a town where I very rarely saw a dog walker and also in a town where they seem to be everywhere. They were similar sized towns but the type of people living there were very different.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 16:42:07

About half the houses here have a dog. I suppose, in built up areas with many flats, they are rare.

It's the same people who regularly don't pick up (often late evening walkers - men - sorry, but true) or dump bags.

There's a daily new addition on the verge at the corner of our road. It's always a yellow bag.

Somebody with a very large dog thinks it's fine to leave droppings in the private road to our garages, too. Cars run over the mess and trail it everywhere!

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 16:22:03

Rogue? Figure!

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 16:21:48

I have to say that rogue surprised me too - round here it feels a like a lot more than 25%. Probably just the same few offenders leaving their bags or dog poo on the paths which then build up over time.

Tea3 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:10:46

www.pfma.org.uk/pet-population-2019

Gaunt47 Wed 01-Apr-20 14:30:53

Tea3 75% of the public don't own a dog?!! That surprises me - judging by the number of dogs and people I see in this part of the country it seems to me that 75% do own a dog!

3nanny6 Wed 01-Apr-20 14:30:18

Toadinthehole as a dog owner I know what you mean about those poo bags in trees although I do not see many these days.
I carry my supply of poo bags and pick up after my dog and carry the bag to the nearest bin on my route. If in deeper forestry area where not many people even go then poo can be left to degrade into the earth as it is much friendlier to the planet than plastic bags. I have my own complaint as twice in the last few days while having to move out of other peoples way on my dog walk I have not been looking on the grass/ground in front of me and have walked in two lots of dog poo. Annoying really when I clean up after my own.

westendgirl Wed 01-Apr-20 14:17:23

#~For goodness sake pick it up and take it with you . What's the problem. ?
If you cant do that then find another owner for your dog .
Seriously it is not difficult.

Grannyjay Wed 01-Apr-20 14:08:09

Hanging your dogs poo in a tree so that you don’t have to carry it. If every dog owner behaved in this gross way then we would see poo trees!

Tea3 Wed 01-Apr-20 13:55:37

Nannarose I didn't know that about assistance dogs, but I've never understood why cats can be trained to use a litter tray but not dogs. Or, as you say, train them to use a corner of the garden. Dog poo, poo bags, people picking up dog poo, full poo bags being stuffed in a pocket, poo bags hanging off trees.....unless the dog serves some purpose, why are the 75 per cent of the public who don't own a dog being subjected to these revolting spectacles!

Labaik Wed 01-Apr-20 13:40:43

I can't do the bag in hand way of cleaning up dog poo so always carry a seaside shovel in a poo bag inside a larger bag. Use the shovel to put it in the poo bag, then put new poo bag over the shovel to be used next time. Carry the full poo bag in larger poo bag till I find a bin. If I am next to a hedge I will shovel the poo into a place where no one can tread in it. If you flick it, it has a nasty habit of hitting something and flicking back at you confused. I've never been able to get a dog to poo or wee on command and [none dog owners look away] they always do that last 'I'll just try to squeeze a bit more out' at the end of a walk. I've never understood people not cleaning up after their dogs or leaving poo bags around.

Iam64 Wed 01-Apr-20 13:38:47

I have two dogs currently, had three in the past. I always pick up and now bring home, as our local bins have been taped over as non essential for our refuse collectors.

I've seen lots of people with dogs we don't know on our regular walks, probably people who usually leave their dogs home whilst they're at work. Sorry to be a moaner but, there is an increase in pooh on the pavements and out of control dogs on the fields. Grrrrrr.

chocolatepudding Wed 01-Apr-20 13:26:41

We live next to a river and own the land across from our home - about 200 years of riverbank with a public footpath running along it. Also we have a 200 yard long bridleway running across a nearby field. When the dog poo is getting too bad DH sprays the stuff with brightly coloured paint used to highlight works on roads and we have sticks with labels saying " You know your dog did this, clear this mess up". Public bins are within a few yards of these paths. Most dog owners clear up but we do get odd bags left behind.

Don't start me on the mess some fishermen leave behind

Kittye Wed 01-Apr-20 11:24:40

Chestnut those chemical dog loos don’t work. Take my word for it ? . We use the biodegradable poo bags and the bins when we are walking our dog. I have never hung a poo bag on a branch or left one on the ground. If there’s no bins I take the bags home

Chestnut Wed 01-Apr-20 10:00:50

twiglet77 - how do you know no-one will tread on it where you've 'flicked' it? Children love to run around in the undergrowth as they play. Your way is just as disgusting. Your dog, your poo. Don't leave it lying around anywhere.
Maybe you can answer my question above, which is why don't you use a chemical loo?

twiglet77 Wed 01-Apr-20 00:51:38

Stick and flick into undergrowth where nobody will tread on it. If that's not possible, bag and carry it to the nearest dog waste bin, or your black bin at home. I'd like to ram it down the shirts of people who bag it then hang it on a tree. There is no legislating against stupidity.

Eloethan Wed 01-Apr-20 00:41:17

I just carry the bag until I find a bin. It's securely tied up and it's not that heavy!

Chestnut Tue 31-Mar-20 23:44:03

I was told many years ago that the correct way to dispose of your dog's faeces is to train him to use a corner of your garden (if you have one) and use a chemical dog loo to dispose of it, which is safe for the environment, simple and hygienic. So why don't people do that? Much nicer than picking up poo outside and carrying it around, surely?