Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can someone explain from the dog owning world?

(61 Posts)
Toadinthehole Tue 31-Mar-20 16:56:35

I’m usually a lurker, and haven’t really ventured ‘ out ‘ much, but this just incenses me, and I wondered if there is a valid explanation. We went for a walk this afternoon in the woods/fields at the back of us. I took my litter stick as I occasionally do. Why do people put their dog poo in bags and tie them or throw them on/into trees? Am I missing something? Not ever having had a dog, only as a child, I thought someone may know. Just to clarify, they don’t appear to be compostable bags, which wouldn’t be quite as bad. Most are clearly in ordinary bags.

Nandalot Tue 31-Mar-20 16:58:38

Are the owners marking their territory?grin

Shandy57 Tue 31-Mar-20 17:00:50

It's a huge problem all over the UK. Too many people with low intelligence, unfortunately.

CleoPanda Tue 31-Mar-20 17:03:28

We walk regularly along a path between fields and a road. It links two villages. These last few weeks, we’ve spotted a good few of these bags. We were wondering if some people who didn’t usually walk the dog had been conscripted, maybe due to not attending work. Maybe they think the dog Poo fairy visits every evening.

MiniMoon Tue 31-Mar-20 17:07:41

blush I once took my dog for a walk in the woods. She did her business on the path across the playing field. I picked it up and bagged it, but as we were just heading out for our walk, I hung it in a tree fully expecting to collect it on the way back, rather than carry it around with me. There are no bins where we were walking.
Unfortunately I returned by a different path.
In my defence, I did go back to the tree , but the poo had disappeared.

CleoPanda Tue 31-Mar-20 17:10:21

“ In my defence, I did go back to the tree , but the poo had disappeared.”
Wow, the Dog poo fairies do exist! ??

Urmstongran Tue 31-Mar-20 17:15:38

Years ago, when we had two cocker spaniel sisters, we used to bag up their poo and collect the bags on our way home. Every time.

BlueBelle Tue 31-Mar-20 17:23:00

Oh no I would never do that as I d forget and perhaps that explains why all the trees are decorated I just used to carry the bag around with me

SirChenjin Tue 31-Mar-20 17:33:59

A combination of things. Some object to being told to bag and bin apparently, so they bag it and leave it as a way of making a point. Others leave it and mean to pick it up and then forget, and others get a kick out of winding other people up. It’s the weirdest thing and utterly disgusting. I organise litter picks in the area and I can tell you this is one thing the volunteers hate dealing with.

Washerwoman Tue 31-Mar-20 17:37:14

The Forestry Comission recommend Stick and Flick in rural areas to move poo away from paths and cover with undergrowth.It's preferable to all the plastic bags littering the countryside because with no bins out on really long walks too many bags get dropped and abandoned.In more suburban and urban areas there is always a bin somewhere near the start or end of a walk so there's no excuse not to bag,carry around and dispose of properly.Thats what I do.I can't stand seeing bags lying around,and hanging on trees even worse !

Daisymae Tue 31-Mar-20 17:38:07

No Idea. It would be better to leave it to degrade rather than surround it with plastic. Very odd.

Gaunt47 Tue 31-Mar-20 17:44:35

Can someone explain you say.
Well no, nobody is going to admit garnishing trees and bushes and my front garden with bags of dog poo are they!
It's disgusting behaviour IMO.

Chestnut Tue 31-Mar-20 17:45:31

Spot on SirC - I think you've nailed it. For some of us it's beyond understanding but that makes sense. I don't think it's acceptable to do even once (imagine if everyone did it once) but the problem is magnified hugely when we have the same people doing it on a daily basis. Those people are a pile of poo themselves. ?

SirChenjin Tue 31-Mar-20 17:47:42

I really wish the Forestry Commission would stop this stick and flick thing - fat too many dog owners seem to think it just means flick it off the path, which means of course it’s still visible and easily trodden in by children who want to run around.

Framilode Tue 31-Mar-20 17:52:54

I think some people just forget to pick up their doggy bags. I always carry mine round with me and double bag it so it is not so unpleasant. I live in a rural area and a lot of people do stick and flick.

grannyrebel7 Tue 31-Mar-20 17:57:14

Drives me mad too! Although I would say there's never enough bins to dispose of it in.

Hazel731 Tue 31-Mar-20 18:02:11

You get people who throw their litter away on walks, others leave their dog poo in bags others just leave it where dropped. Why? All these people are selfish, inconsiderate people who have no thoughts of caring for others just themselves.
Unfortunately these people give all dog owners a bad name all we can do is try to train them like we do our dogs!

varian Tue 31-Mar-20 18:05:40

As Shandy57 says -"It's a huge problem all over the UK. Too many people with low intelligence, unfortunately."

How else could we ever explain brexit?

Chestnut Tue 31-Mar-20 18:08:37

Here we go......how can Brexit appear in a thread about dog poo? Obsessed or what? ?

Dottynan Tue 31-Mar-20 18:09:41

There are no dog poo fairies
There are no dog poo elves
So if your dog poor
Please pick it up yourself

We do not want to wipe it off our
shoes or off our children's hand
Dog poo is harmful to children
We hope you understand

Please help keep this area clear
Thank you

Chestnut Tue 31-Mar-20 18:10:09

I suppose you'll say that remainers always take their dog poo home and it's only brexiteers who leave it? ?

Toadinthehole Tue 31-Mar-20 18:11:09

Yes minimoon, I had wondered whether that happens sometimes. I probably took it for my bag! I’ve had to walk round with numerous dog poo bags because I can’t leave them, and I don’t even have a dog! Surely you could manage one bag?

eazybee Tue 31-Mar-20 18:15:33

Your post has absolutely no connection with the matter being discussed.
How else could we ever explain brexit?

How clearly you display your own limited intelligence, Varian, with yet another cheap jibe. Fortunately you are not representative of your party.

Calendargirl Tue 31-Mar-20 18:44:55

If you can’t be bothered to deal with your dog’s poo correctly, you shouldn’t have a dog.

Far, far too many irresponsible dog owners.

Parsley3 Tue 31-Mar-20 18:53:34

Hanging a poo bag on a tree so you don’t have to carry it about? Coming back for it later? I have heard it all now.
In the meantime, everyone passing it has the pleasure of seeing it. Not nice at all.