Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for dinner?

(199 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 22-Apr-20 14:58:35

I'm looking for inspiration and do like to know what the nation is eating! smile

lemongrove Thu 23-Apr-20 14:27:37

yesterday we had steak and salad and saute potatoes with peppers.

tidyskatemum Thu 23-Apr-20 14:29:09

We are working our way through the Mowgli Indian cookbook. Tonight it’s red lentil Dahl with spinach, home style aubergine and rotis. And what’s left for lunch tomorrow.

Tangerine Thu 23-Apr-20 14:30:30

Like axxliz, I think certain foods are better if the flavours mingle for about 24 hours.

I am having vegetable curry with rice tonight.

Riverwalk Thu 23-Apr-20 17:08:00

I'll be having fish pie, from the freezer and batch-cooked last week, with salad.

Not very exciting.

Is it too early for a G&T?

gulligranny Thu 23-Apr-20 17:17:54

Lambs liver (from the depths of the freezer) and bacon, mash and some floppy broccoli. Left-over rhubarb crumble mixed with the rather dubious strawberries that DH bought at our little local corner shop ...

Sar53 Thu 23-Apr-20 17:27:11

Chicken stir fry with noodles tonight. The peppers really needed eating and I'm trying very hard not to waste anything.

travelsafar Thu 23-Apr-20 17:55:58

Roast potatoes, fresh cabbage and carrots, yorkshire puds and sausages with lovely thick gravy. This is the first proper dinner we will have had for several days. Neither of us seem to have much appetite just lately. Last night we had cornbeef sandwiches.

Brunette10 Thu 23-Apr-20 18:14:17

Our Savoury mince with mashed potatoes with cauliflower was very tasty. Having cooked everything last week apart from cauliflower was so easy to do. A bottle of white wine (home brewed) which was left on our doorstep from our lovely neighbour went very well with dish. Overall a tasty tea. smile

Alishka Thu 23-Apr-20 18:27:22

Little appetite here too, so i've cooked a vat of carrot and coriander soup with, perhaps, some blue cheese and baby toms after.
This enforced idleness really isn't suiting me AT ALL!

TerriBull Thu 23-Apr-20 18:48:31

I'm having a pork chop cooked with sage, new potatoes, carrots and broccoli and some apple sauce. My husband doesn't like pork so I've made him his favourite, Carbonara and pasta, which of course includes bacon which is errr, a sort of pork confused Cooking both dishes now with a glass of chilled white wine.

Alishka Sun 26-Apr-20 13:12:42

Has no-one been eating since Thursday? shock wink
Please, can we keep this thread going?
I'm now well into my Shielding status,and understand why, but why is the song "I wanna break free" so much on my mind?grin
From the depths of my freezer + help from an Italian cookbook, I give you - tripegrin
I'd bought it to feed a neighbour's cat, which is probably in lockdown, but, well, I like offal and garlic & chillis,etc, so, yep! I'm going ingrin
Anyone else Cooking in Exceptional Times?

Rosalyn69 Sun 26-Apr-20 13:31:15

BBQ steak with cauliflower cheese and peas followed by fruit and jelly.
I got a meat box yesterday I had forgotten I ordered (it’s been four weeks) so a lot of meat in my future.

MiniMoon Sun 26-Apr-20 13:38:18

A mixed salad with baby potatoes, sausage roll and thinly sliced ham.
For pudding, something I haven't made since my children were still at home! Pineapple pudding. You make a roux with butter and flour, half a pint of milk and the juice from a can of pineapple chunks. Separate two eggs and add the yolks to the custard along with the pineapple chunks. Whisk egg whites with sugar and pile on top of custard. Bake in a hot oven until brown on top, serve warm. Yummy.
I ate too much. blush

MiniMoon Sun 26-Apr-20 13:39:41

Ps forgot the sugar in the custard above.

I didn't forget to put it in the pudding.

ninathenana Sun 26-Apr-20 13:51:39

Roast pork, broccoli, roast spuds and gravy.

Calendargirl Sun 26-Apr-20 13:56:46

Pheasant, roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips, leek, green beans. I froze heaps of our beans last year, we are having them several times a week, but they must breed in the night!
Also have made a rubbed-in Be-Ro chocolate chip cake, but won’t all fit in oven, plus temperature is not right for cake, so will bake it later and have a slice while watching the new Van der Valk tonight.

Witzend Sun 26-Apr-20 13:57:42

Dh bought a much-too-large joint of beef last week, so yesterday was the roast (use by date was imminent) and tonight we’re having it cold with salad and baked potatoes.

But there will still be quite a bit left, so although I wouldn’t normally do it, I’m thinking of slicing it and having it in a few days’ time, warmed up in gravy (I have some left from the roast though will need more) with mash and sundry veggies.

At the mo, I have simmering on the hob a pan full of onion, cubed swede and microwaved butternut squash, plus chicken stock, garlic, ginger and red chilli. Will shortly add a can of coconut milk and attack it with the stick blender. A late lunch for today for me, and probably 2 more unless dh gets stuck in, but he usually prefers his own, self-made lunch.

ginny Sun 26-Apr-20 14:00:49

Steak with a mixture of roast veg. Eg. Red pepper, beetroot, onion, sweet potato parsnip and butternut squash.

rubysong Sun 26-Apr-20 14:17:54

Lamb steaks, mint sauce, roast potatoes, leeks in cheese sauce, cauliflower, gravy. For pudding I will make bread and butter type pudding from an old light fruit cake from the depths of the freezer. Then we will fall asleep in front of antiques road show.

Lucca Sun 26-Apr-20 14:23:08

Salmon And sweet corn in a wrap with roasted cauliflower on the side.
Greek yoghurt and fruit.
Pinot Grigio (quantity undisclosed but not excessive )

grannylyn65 Sun 26-Apr-20 14:27:00

*one of those ?

DiscoGran Sun 26-Apr-20 14:28:19

Cumberland sausages, roast sweet potatoes and peas and carrots.
Glass of chilled white wine.?

H1954 Sun 26-Apr-20 14:33:25

Well, a lovely recipe popped up on FB this week. Consisted of grated potatoes, grated carrots, seasoning and added to finely chopped chicken breast. This was formed into a burger shape, fried for a little while to seal them then gently cooked in chopped tomatoes for around 20 minutes.

However, I cannot remember the seasonings that were used apart from salt and pepper and can I find the recipe now? That'll be a NO then!

Planned on having it with pasta so I'm going to be very brave and wing it.

If you saw it or know what the ingredients are do share!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Apr-20 14:35:35

Sea bream with red pepper salsa and new roasted potatoes. Pears and chocolate sauce and glass wine.

merlotgran Sun 26-Apr-20 14:43:29

We've just had pork shoulder done in the slow cooker on a bed of shredded cabbage (last year's spring cabbage, frozen) and sliced apple.

We had Aunt Bessie's frozen roasties as I can't get any potatoes until next Wednesday when Tesco's deliver. It's the first time we've tried them and they were OK.

I steamed some mixed veg to go with it. Always way too much so there will be enough for tomorrow's lunchtime soup.