Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Beach tips please 1 year old baby on beach

(57 Posts)
Abuelana Sat 13-Jun-20 13:26:12

My granddaughter is 1 and we’ve started to take her on the bevy in the mornings. We live in Spain. We go early in the morning and home for lunch time. Do any of you have tips for taking babies to the beach? The only one I can remember is talc and a small paint brush for getting sand off feet and legs ?

Chardy Sun 14-Jun-20 10:19:24

Definitely one of those big umbellas

Alison333 Sun 14-Jun-20 10:28:37

Apart from the sun and the obvious precautions that must be taken, I found that 12 month olds are liable to 'taste' the sand or pebbles - more of a worry for younger one year olds!

Pippa22 Sun 14-Jun-20 10:44:22

I know that this is not something we want to think about but one poster said have baby naked on the beach. Please don’t. I live in Sussex and regularly see naked small children and babies but there are many people around who do not see beautiful little people as you and I do so please cover your gorgeous little ones up.

Teddy123 Sun 14-Jun-20 10:44:27

We live close to the beach and have a beach hut. When
1st GS was about 6 months old & could sit up, we bought a teeny round paddling pool from the pound shop, used to sit him in it surrounded by his toys! Beach umbrella to shade him. Was great till he started walking!

4allweknow Sun 14-Jun-20 10:45:33

Definitely a hat and one of those UV suits. Sunscreen for the exposed area. If possible a sun screen kind of mini tent, useful for babies who have a nap. NO talc. Recent findings shown to have asbestos in it and has been banned in many countries. Water of course. Please, please be safe both out and in the water. There seems to be a culture now at least in the UK whereby people rely on lifeguards to rescue them from there own stupidity. Hope baby enjoys the sand and sea.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 14-Jun-20 11:18:41

If she's mobile - hang on to her!! My daughter was 13 months when we took her to the beach. It was a bitter September day, she was wearing a furry coat. The little tinker ran straight into the sea and sat down. We bunged her in the pushchair (under protest) and ran the mile to my mothers where we were staying and put her in a warm bath. Running into water became a habit with her!

barbaralynne Sun 14-Jun-20 11:42:22

The suggestions already given are all excellent. I can only add a warning - the first time I took my two little girls to a sandy beach my youngest was 5-6 months old. She picked up the spade, decided it was a nice big spoon, shovelled up a load of sand and straight in her mouth!
Fortunately it did her no harm and she didn't try it again!

Riggie Sun 14-Jun-20 11:45:42

Youncan get talc free talc. Its made from cornstarch

Barmeyoldbat Sun 14-Jun-20 11:59:24

I did read somewhere that they have found talc not to be harmful, but can't think where.

Fennel Sun 14-Jun-20 12:22:27

Is the baby walking yet? If not, I would keep her out of the sun altogether. especally 10am to 4pm, as someone said.
Baby's skin is very sensitive and seaside sun burns very quickly.
I've never found out why that is but it's certainly true, from experience.
I have a photo of myself as a 2-3 year old on the beach where I grew up, in the nude, no shame, being rubbed dry by my Mum.

Juicylucy Sun 14-Jun-20 12:22:44

My DD and Gc grew up in Australia they wore float suits or rashies from 6 months old. Very good very safe if you google you will be able to find them. They protect from sun and have small floats on them. The rashie comes workout floats. Never saw a child without one or the other on beach in Oz.

moggie57 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:29:07

lots of sunscreen .a little tent for her to sit in helps.towel/sand shoes/parasol.

JackyB Sun 14-Jun-20 12:37:22

Big blanket is a must. Check the sand if she plays outside the blanket area for dog poo and cigarette ends. Actually, I've seen even worse than this on beaches, but won't mention it here.

My main thought would be how to occupy her. Don't bother taking a book - you'll probably have to be on your toes every minute!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:45:28

A sun hat that us tied under the chin so the child cannot take it off and that shades the back of the neck as well as the head, sandals, as the sand can become so hot it burns the feet, lashings of sun screen of the kind sold specially for children, long sleeved garment to cover up with when the child has been in the sun long enough and lots of drinking water.

And obviously, stay with the child while she is in the water, or at the edge of it.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:46:06

is, not us, sorry, got distracted by Microsoft's new impossible browser.

Esspee Sun 14-Jun-20 13:06:48

@Barmeyoldbat Talcum powder IS carcinogenic, especially when contaminated with asbestos which much of it is.
Talc free baby powder is not.
Unfortunately we use the term "talc" generically nowadays much as we use the term Hoover when we mean vacuum cleaner.
Much of what is thought of today as "talc" is nothing to do with real talc.

Meta Sun 14-Jun-20 13:19:20

Excellent list here- totally agree as someone who lives near the sea and has small grandchildren!

Meta Sun 14-Jun-20 13:20:24

DammYankee list I meant

trisher Sun 14-Jun-20 13:32:36

I was told about the talc-sand removal thing by my DIL. It's amazing what they come up with.
If the baby is 1year old she's probably mobile so it depends. Some children you can't even sit down with and the sea is just a magnet others play quite happily. I remember my gran and great aunts used to commission us to dig a hole and build them a back rest when we were older. But a large hole can accommodate a small child and her toys for a little while!

olliebeak Sun 14-Jun-20 13:48:33

Regarding talcum powder - how about using 'Liquid Talc' like this one from ASDA - it contains 'Tapioca Starch'
- groceries.asda.com/product/baby-skincare/asda-little-angels-liquid-talc/910000226012

Grammaretto Sun 14-Jun-20 13:51:19

@Juicylucy

Grammaretto Sun 14-Jun-20 13:54:53

I meant to say if you are in Australia you have to worry about sharks too!
In NZ recently an experienced adult surfer was drowned. Perhaps we should keep away from the sea....
www.sunlive.co.nz/news/231972-tauranga-woman-drowns-taranaki.html

KathrynP Sun 14-Jun-20 14:05:33

We bought a blow up boat about 3ft long and got he 4 yr old to fill it with water for the 11 month old. Kept the older one busy. The inflated part kept her upright and it wasn't too big to carry when deflated. A sunshade over her. Now to maintain social distancing I was thinking that a couple of windbreakers (homemade or otherwise would be good and spread yourself around enough so you've marked your space. Children are now grown up and still love coming back fro seaside holidays as we only live 100 yards from the beach.

Callistemon Sun 14-Jun-20 14:11:59

Grammaretto and crocodiles too, not to mention box jellyfish.

NoddingGanGan Sun 14-Jun-20 14:56:10

Take a fitted sheet with you. If gdg turns out not to like the feel of sand, spread it out with a bag at each corner to raise the sides and voila, sand free play area.
Or sand free picnic area if you take one.