Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Daughters husband left her for an ex girlfriend contacted him on the Internet

(46 Posts)
Twig14 Sun 14-Jun-20 21:56:42

My daughter has just told us her husband has decided to leave her after an old girlfriend he met as a young teen got online n contacted him. He’s in Dubai working she lives in Austria our daughter has been here in UI during lockdown. She never told us until today as I lost my father to the virus. She’s devastated. No children but in her early 40s. I’m doing my best to help her I’m so upset as she gave her job everything up to move to Middle East last year. My Son in law like my son it’s totally out of character and until recently all was ok. Any advice appreciated

Coconut Tue 16-Jun-20 11:24:12

Truly heartbreaking for all of you, and as others say, words are inadequate and all you can do is be supportive. I went thro this with son No:2 and altho it was terribly difficult at times, we all got thro it. Tomorrow my sons ex is coming over to see me with my 2 granddaughters, plus her new little boy from her now marriage .... he also calls me Nanny, altho he is not mine. My son has also moved on and married a wonderful lady who is so much more suited to him. Stay strong, us girls are tough cookies !

Toddy Tue 16-Jun-20 11:36:06

Our SIL was like a son too and after he cheated on our daughter we floundered our way through supporting her and not judging. They got back together but he was secretly still seeing other woman! I couldn't believe this man who had been part of our family for 17 yrs could lie and cheat in this way! Fast forward 18mths and daughter and children all happy. She is making a new life, ex shares childcare and is now living with other woman. No advise from me except time helps, counselling definitely does too. Best of luck and hugs.

TATT Tue 16-Jun-20 11:38:46

What a difficult time for you. You have two very sad situations to deal with. I was devastated when my child’s married ended. I felt so impotent and could only listen and support in the best way I could.
My heart goes out to you.

annsixty Tue 16-Jun-20 11:43:14

My story is just like Toddy’s
Our SiL was a nice man, a wonderful father but left for a woman from his office after 23 years of marriage.
The GC were devastated but they still visit him every year, he now lives abroad, and they meet up when he comes back on business.
All this is nearly 6 years ago and they still aren’t divorced, it is a mystery to me.
The other woman is totally accepted by his family as his partner.

Tempest Tue 16-Jun-20 11:44:34

There is a wonderful short paperback book by Tracy Schorn Leave a Cheatre, Gain a Life. Also a website she runs with people all over the world telling their stories of infidelity and supporting each other call Chump Lady www.chumplady.com/
Do have a look you will see that these people are the same all over the world. The old girlfriend wants someone else's husband, he is cheater and a liar, let her have him. Relationships that start with affairs and the breakup of families will eventually implode but don't wait for that. My advice to your daughter should be to see a lawyer asap get the best financial settlement for her as quickly as possible while he is still in the infatuation stage with the other woman.
Once she is financially secure away from him she can go have a wonderful life without this cheatre holding her back.
If she is still hoping he will come back that's fine as long as she gets her financial settlement first in her own name.

cc Tue 16-Jun-20 11:52:34

I agree with paddyann and others that it may not last, obviously the relationship failed in the past and may fail again for the same reasons.

CrazyGrandma2 Tue 16-Jun-20 12:04:22

As others have said, support your daughter but stay neutral. It's early days and they may decide to continue their marriage. If they do, it may well end up being stronger for it as they will have to talk to each other and rebuild. The pain is unbelievable but it does ease. People do daft things. Make sure you have someone to talk to as well flowers

Sawsage2 Tue 16-Jun-20 12:32:32

I think a lot of us have family problems. I'm going through hell at the moment with my 16 year old granddaughter. All we can do is be there for them (because this is earth not heaven).

Twig14 Tue 16-Jun-20 13:04:00

May I just say a great big thank you to you all for your kindness, support and helpful advice. I was actually devastated when I found out about this situation and didn’t wish to talk to people I know in order to respect my daughters wishes. I turned to Gransnet and I am glad I did. Thank you all once again. Take care all of you x

sarahellenwhitney Tue 16-Jun-20 13:26:08

If this person Sil met when he was in his teens, no disrespect to Sil, believes at 40 H will be the same person she /this other woman knew when he was in his teens then she is in for a big. big big disappointment.
People and life inevitably change, no disrespect to DD or her H, with the years and how many of us haven't looked back, big sigh I wish I was etc etc
SIL is flattered by this woman getting in touch and if he is prepared to give up on his marriage after so many years then DD has to ask herself,' would she take him back should H return, tail between his legs, were this 'meet up' not be quite what both he and /or his 'teen romance' expected.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 16-Jun-20 13:30:10

Sorry Twig14 for late responce

Aquariusb Tue 16-Jun-20 13:56:07

This happened to me 20 years ago. It's so sad because we all know that a relationship starting in such a horrible way isn't likely to be successful. There was nothing that I could do about it though. My ex and I are both single now. We don't speak and he rarely sees his children. It's very very sad all round. Sadly I have nothing constructive to offer except I so repect my friends who reconciled with their men. I just couldn't do it.

MarieEliza Tue 16-Jun-20 14:08:41

My nephew left his wife as part of a mid life crisis and went off with his wife’s friend. The children went off the rails a bit and his new wife became ill. Overall he doesn’t seem much happier than he was before

sharon103 Tue 16-Jun-20 15:07:52

I remember using the 'Hammocks' as we used to call them.
My mum never told me anything. To be honest I wondered what was happening to me.
I had to laugh at your comment EllanVannin, my mum was like Cissie and Ada. smile

oodles Tue 16-Jun-20 16:36:25

@Tempest, second chump lady, also seek out her blog and forums. I discovered after mine left me that he'd been having affairs for years mainly emotional ones and the one he went off with was the first who encouraged him

songstress60 Tue 16-Jun-20 17:06:54

Make sure she is protected financially. Don't let him con her out of a settlement. He owes her big time. Let him pay for his romance.

H1954 Tue 16-Jun-20 17:24:54

Were they truly happy in the marriage? Could there have been a reason for him accepting the old flames attempt at contacting him? Just saying, there's two sides to every story, remember!!!

mumofmadboys Tue 16-Jun-20 19:29:55

Sharon 103 you have written on totally the wrong thread!! Should be on the thread about periods!

BibiSarah Tue 16-Jun-20 19:42:20

Twig, I’m sorry to hear this has happened to your daughter and like a previous poster I’d also say it’s a common occurrence in a place like Dubai. No one knows what will happen between your girl and her husband further down the line but please make sure Any legal advice she has is from a lawyer who specializes in international divorce. And there are actually people in Dubai who specialize in this.

EmilyHarburn Wed 17-Jun-20 11:20:26

A year ago we had lovely new neighbours. a man you had left his wife for a new partner. Six months later they broke up she returned to her mother and now he is helping x wife deal with cancer!! she is not taking him back though. Meanwhile he has to sell the house in a depressed market. Really nice people all round but what a sad thing to do.