Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Done it all, got it all, know it all neighbour

(120 Posts)
H1954 Sun 21-Jun-20 09:01:03

I passed the time of day with a neighbour one morning recently, keeping to the 2 metre distance rule naturally. It started out as "Good morning, are you well" etc...... the usual stuff. I don't know if it's due to lockdown but pretty soon, everything we talked about, "she had done it before", her son "knew all about this and that", her OH "had much better garden tools".......... it was relentless but she has never been like that before, well not towards me.
Anyway, I made my escape, came back into the house where my OH asked where I had been, I told him about the conversation and we had a little chuckle about it to be honest. We now call her Mrs Bucket!
Does anyone else have a neighbour like ours?

Tigerdove Sun 21-Jun-20 10:57:26

My neighbour knows everything about all diseases known to man, and probably ones not yet identified. I am tempted next time I get a lecture to say that I an going to tell the consultant that instead of going to university he should have worked at the local knicker factory, like she did, he would have learned so much more.

Anrol Sun 21-Jun-20 10:58:50

These people are lacking in emotional grounding and self confidence, so hide behind their self-embellishments and the reason is no one “calls them out,” because we are all too nice to say: really, I’ve heard Elevenerife has the most awful ....whatever ...... or ...Yes, you always get it worse/stronger/longer/bigger that anyone. It’s such a shame you take longer to recover/in debt with the CC company/etc. Etc. I’ve no idea how you sleep at night.
Yes, I’m an evil whatsit sometimes, but at least I’m honest. grin

Juicylucy Sun 21-Jun-20 11:00:20

My ex husband, everything is bigger and better than everyone else’s. He’s got best car, been on better holiday, got best phone best shed, best breed of dog. The list is endless.

Mamma66 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:01:43

I don’t know which made me laugh more, ‘Judith Two Sheds’ or ‘Elevenerife’ ?

H1954 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:02:32

Teetime

H1954 have a look at Two Doors Down on BBC I player it features the ultimate 'one-up' neighbour but she gets it all wrong - so funny.

Thank you Teetime, I will do.

Aepgirl Sun 21-Jun-20 11:03:19

Yes, I have one particular ‘know-it-all’ friend. Even on the rare occasions when she will ask a question, when I answer she will then say ‘that’s what I thought’.

H1954 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:03:35

Juicylucy

My ex husband, everything is bigger and better than everyone else’s. He’s got best car, been on better holiday, got best phone best shed, best breed of dog. The list is endless.

???? Did you marry my ex by any chance?

Nanderin Sun 21-Jun-20 11:05:07

Not my neighbor but my older sister what she hasn't done or bought bigger better .

Craftycat Sun 21-Jun-20 11:05:22

Oh yes!!
I have lived next door to her since 1992.
On our first day here she knocked on door to meet us & asked what DH did & how much he earned! Then proceeded to tell us all about her amazing son who earned mega bucks. Needless to say I never told her anything.
She has driven me mad for all these years & it got worse when her (nice) husband died a few years ago.
Everyone in the road avoids her like the plague. Luckily we have a high fence between us in the back garden but she calls over it to complain about noise from children (not our DGC but a lovely family next door to her the other side who have delightful children who are just making a normal amount of noise having fun in their garden.)
It is annoying that I have to creep around my garden so she does not hear me out there & start moaning.

Penelope33 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:07:48

I love the man who plays Hyacinth Bucket’s husband! I don’t know what it is about Richard, but I love him to bits. ???. Just saying...

Chameleon007 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:13:24

Not trying to better anyone but I had a cousin who could have been mistaken for Mrs 'Bucket' in looks and everything she said or did. I am certainly not like her.

harrysgran Sun 21-Jun-20 11:14:55

Yes we have one Mrs Me me me ! she doesn't really want to have a conversation she just likes to talk at you and no matter what you have even an illness she's had it worsesmile

ElaineBK Sun 21-Jun-20 11:18:00

H1954, yes I also have neighbours like that. No matter what they are always moaning bout something or other. They are both supposed to be so ill but neither of them got a letter bout sheilding like my husband did. I try and avoid them as much as I can

Sussexborn Sun 21-Jun-20 11:21:06

When our children were very young we had a neighbour who had teenagers. Whatever we bought he could always have got it for us for half the amount - even when we hadn’t told him what it had cost. New lawn mower - apparently we were robbed! New wardrobe - robbed again - he could have got us one for half the price!

He told us he had a luggage shop in Victoria (it was actually a market stall in Petticoat Lane!). We needed a new family sized suitcase so thought we would mention it to him to save being told how much he could have saved us. Total silence and he avoided us until we came back from our holiday!

Seeing it in writing, it could have undermined us but we used to roll our eyes and take no notice, as did the other neighbours.

Phloembundle Sun 21-Jun-20 11:21:51

You are quite right EllanVannin about people who have had truly fulfilled lives not talking about it. I lived next door to an elderly lady for 20 years until she died. We got on really well due to a mutual love of gardening. I went to her funeral and found out about all the truly amazing adventures and achievements of her life mentioned during her eulogy, none of which she talked about. She was an amazing woman.

Mollygo Sun 21-Jun-20 11:22:53

Don’t we all know them. My brother is a bit like that. He had Covid before anyone knew what Covid was and recovered perfectly; he could have given the government advice in creating a trace app; he did an advanced driving course so knows better than anyone about anything I mention to do with the Highway Code, knows which are the ONLY spices worth using when making a curry (doesn’t rate my favourite fenugreek at all!) and told one DD she was wasting her degree by going into teaching!
It’s mean of me, but I can’t help a sneaky grin when he messages me about still being stranded in Africa, unable to travel back home until they reopen the airport.

grandMattie Sun 21-Jun-20 11:23:41

My SiL is like that - probably why we don't talk! I'm sure it is a sign that they feel inadequate to your happiness, health and education [whether self- or "proper"...]. It is very sad, but insufferable!
And what about their GCs? They are bigger,/cleverer/prettier etc., than anyone elses! Grrrrrr...

olliebeak Sun 21-Jun-20 11:25:46

I'm still giggling at 'Judith two sheds' and 'Elevenerife' gringringrin

Lesleyroch Sun 21-Jun-20 11:25:53

I will never forget my BIL saying to his mother, “Mum if I said I had a big —— you’d have an even bigger one!” ???

grannyrebel7 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:29:23

I find this type of person never wants to hear anything about your life either! I know a few smile

sarahellenwhitney Sun 21-Jun-20 11:32:19

I have over the years made a mental note when I know what time of day I can go past a certain neighbours house without her emerging with some complaint which seems to be all this person does with her life .When she will be out walking her dog, when they have their mid day meal I know I will be safe from this issue of 'complaining' which seems to dominate her life.

Lucca Sun 21-Jun-20 11:35:52

Shysal. Those awful Christmas round robins. Known in our family as “a boast through the post”.
I used to receive them when newly separated and at least one of my boys Was causing me grief and their children were winning Nobel prizes and marrying crown princes.

grandMattie Sun 21-Jun-20 11:36:44

grannyrebel I have loads of friends like that. I call them 70/30 people. They talk for 70% of the time and you get A meagre 30%. I have those who will talk 90%. I try to be charitable if they’re lonely, but it’s hard sometimes.

aaronanna1947 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:38:24

Hello I have a Son aged 53 who I don’t think will live to see 54. I saw him yesterday for the first time since lockdown and couldn’t believe the weight he has gained. We come from a family who struggle with our weight and he has been fat now for a good while but not like this. His Wife and Daughter are concerned too but no amount of asking for him to do something spurs him on. He knows my Dad had his first stroke at 48 and was dead four years later. His job he hates as it is so stressful so I understand the pressures he is under and point out he got to his pre wedding weight 8 years ago and looked and felt well and happy. Being nice about the problem hasn’t got me anywhere do I tell him he is being so selfish to us all as it stands he is a heart attack waiting to happen. I dread him getting the virus because it loves very overweight people with very HBP. Thanks for reading any ideas folks?

Malonegirl Sun 21-Jun-20 11:39:03

I think it is a problem with self esteeme. They have to big themselves up. I have a friend who nevers listens to what you say and always has done the same as you but better. She is very nice but a proper conversation can be difficult.