Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Done it all, got it all, know it all neighbour

(120 Posts)
H1954 Sun 21-Jun-20 09:01:03

I passed the time of day with a neighbour one morning recently, keeping to the 2 metre distance rule naturally. It started out as "Good morning, are you well" etc...... the usual stuff. I don't know if it's due to lockdown but pretty soon, everything we talked about, "she had done it before", her son "knew all about this and that", her OH "had much better garden tools".......... it was relentless but she has never been like that before, well not towards me.
Anyway, I made my escape, came back into the house where my OH asked where I had been, I told him about the conversation and we had a little chuckle about it to be honest. We now call her Mrs Bucket!
Does anyone else have a neighbour like ours?

PinkCakes Sun 21-Jun-20 17:38:39

janeayressister My late Mother-in-law was like that. Dull and self-centred. I used to pretend someone was at the door so that I could get away.

hollysteers Sun 21-Jun-20 17:47:51

Fab thread but it reminded me how scathing I used to be about my husband’s round robin Xmas letters. “Don’t put a pile of stuff in about me!’ I would say. I once came across a copy of a round robin he had sent which went into detail about the two operations I had endured that year. In fact boasting was the last thing on his mind and he loved reading the letters from old friends abroad and far away, he was genuinely interested in their year.
I would give anything to see him set to in November to write his Xmas letter. ?
Be kind.

hollysteers Sun 21-Jun-20 17:48:53

My late husband I should have said.

narrowboatnan Sun 21-Jun-20 17:53:06

I don’t know any Hyacinth Buckets, But I do have a friend who is always right. I love her to bits so just say ‘oh, I didn’t know that’ when she gets going. She listens to the Covid updates every day and, when I see her, She voices her (very strong) opinion on the lies that the government tells, how she’d like to see thing done differently - even though she’s misunderstood some of it and got it wrong. She’s always right, even when she’s wrong, bless her.

I’ve know another woman who, no matter what ailment or injury you have, has always had it twice as bad. Whenever we pick up germs we always say “don’t tell S, she’ll want it!”

Tallyann1 Sun 21-Jun-20 18:13:10

Yes 1954... ours only ever travels first class and only ever drinks champagne .....?

lemongrove Sun 21-Jun-20 18:29:20

Shelmiss grin only one?

This thread is so funny, am relieved I don’t have a neighbour like this though.Anyone remember the song ‘I’ve Been Everywhere’ ? There are bound to be some people who can bore for the Olympics on the subject of holidays.

sf101 Sun 21-Jun-20 18:33:37

I worked with someone once who I soon realised just made everything up but did not have the intelligence to realise he constantly contradicted previous stories.
It was horrible working with him as you could not trust anything he said, and he was eventually caught out lying one time too many and lost his job.

Daisyboots Sun 21-Jun-20 20:10:16

Not neighbours but a friend who even told me that someone else had had cancer much worse than me. She didnt even know me when I had cancer the first time. I wonder if she remembers that now I have stage 4 cancer.
She also knows everything about everything and everyone before you do even when it's something she could not possibly have known. One day I made something up and she immediately said yes I know X told me. That said she can be kind and thoughtful at times so I just let her get on with trying to be the most knowledgeable about all that is happening .

MamaCaz Sun 21-Jun-20 21:01:29

Lesleyroch

I will never forget my BIL saying to his mother, “Mum if I said I had a big —— you’d have an even bigger one!” ???

???

Legs55 Sun 21-Jun-20 21:12:42

My Step-Son is a complete know it all. When DH had Terminal Cancer he knew better than the Doctors & tried to take over even though I lived 5 mins away from the Nursing Home & he lived over 50 miles away.

He always knew better than anybody else about any subject which is why I didn't stay in contact after I was widowed.

I have a lovely neighbour, we get on very well but she has a habit of slightly bragging about her family. One of my favourite examples is if her DD has a Cheese & Wine for friends they have "every cheese imaginable", I just nod. There are many other examples but I don't think she's aware that she says it or she's stuck for the right words/names grin

Shropshirelass Mon 22-Jun-20 08:48:48

I am Judith too and not like that at all, thank goodness!

Scorpio57 Mon 22-Jun-20 14:04:48

We have a family member who has/does everything we could ever do bigger and better and who's grandchildren cannot be beat, but the one comment you couldn't make up was when she heard my sisters grandaughter had got in to an Oxford university said ' couldn't she have found somewhere nearer to home '. You've got to laugh ....or you might poke them in the eye .

chezza1 Mon 22-Jun-20 14:41:47

I have a friend who knows I cook everything from scratch. Everything she buys from M&S is "heaven" to eat. I do get slightly annoyed as compared to what I produce she's probably right.

H1954 Mon 22-Jun-20 16:36:34

chezza1

I have a friend who knows I cook everything from scratch. Everything she buys from M&S is "heaven" to eat. I do get slightly annoyed as compared to what I produce she's probably right.

Maybe so, but think of the cost ?. I certainly couldn't afford M&S food at every main meal. At least you know what's gone into yours.

Sussexborn Mon 22-Jun-20 17:01:31

A lady in the queue at Lidl on her mobile phone, announced she was in Waitrose.

Some of these people must be very insecure or just plain bonkers.

JonesKpj000 Mon 22-Jun-20 20:30:23

I know someone well who is a lovely lady but my goodness does she brag about her good deeds on Facebook. She constantly loads photo's of herself posing in her beautiful house and garden. Always telling everyone how wonderful her children are. They are a really nice family but I find it so irritating.

JonesKpj000 Mon 22-Jun-20 20:31:41

Sorry, I was a bit off topic and should of started a new thread.x

storynanny Mon 22-Jun-20 23:33:34

Narrowboat, my mum was like that, wanted to know what your symptoms were if you were Ill and then claimed to have it worse
My dad used to say “ your mother enjoys ill health”

annifrance Sun 25-Jul-21 13:28:00

Someone I know knows far more about another than anyone else, as if to prove that she is that person's closest friend. You only have to mention a name and then comes a diatribe about that person's latest news. Quite often I really am that person's close friend and possibly know more or differently! I say nothing. I find it a bit sad.