Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone here had the Shingles vaccination and would you recommend it.

(33 Posts)
25Avalon Tue 30-Jun-20 11:22:54

Yesterday I took a phone call from our doctor’s surgery asking if I wanted to go in for a shingles vaccination. I said I was self isolating so wouldn’t go in to surgery at the moment but might consider it later. I had chickenpox as a baby (all the doctors came out to see the spots all over my head) so guess I could get shingles, that is if I ever get to hug my 2 GC. My husband wasn’t asked if he wanted the jab. Is it something only women get, surely not?
I don’t like having vaccinations so anyone know how effective it is? I know shingles can be very painful.

Dinahmo Tue 30-Jun-20 14:21:21

MawB

25Avalon you don’t get shingles from chickenpox but you can get chickenpox from shingles.
Shingles is very nasty, it can cause years of pain, it can damage your eye sight, it I can be a nightmare particularly for those with a compromised immune system.
The vaccination has no side effects.
Nobody likes vaccinations, but that is not a reason to miss one which is recommended.

My understanding is that chicken pox is an herpes virus which stays in your body, so if you had chicken pox as a child the virus is there.

Apparently shingles can occur if you are run down. That's when mine came on (see above) - I was in bed recovering from bronchitis. We had two kittens who were on the bed and so at first I thought they had fleas. However, my OH had met a friend the day before I pointed the spots out to him and he recognised it. So I went to the GP and it was shingles, caught fairly early.

Also, cold sores are an herpes virus.

Vickicop Tue 30-Jun-20 14:26:52

I had the shingles vaccination a few years ago with no side effects. Last year I did have shingles BUT just the rash, no pain. I would definitely recommend the jab as my mother had pain on and off for years after she caught th evirus.

GrannySomerset Tue 30-Jun-20 17:46:17

I fell between the two age groups offered the jab a couple of years ago so paid to have it at our local pharmacy (£170 if I remember rightly) because as DH’s career I can’t afford to get shingles. No side effects and peace of mind so a good investment.

Deedaa Tue 30-Jun-20 19:54:42

My dear doctor rang me one day and said "Good news! You are now 70 and you can have the Shingles jab!"

I didn't that either being 70 or having an injection was my idea of good news grin but I went along anyway.

By the way anyone with a compromised immune system shouldn't have the shingles jab because it's a live vaccine.

Urmstongran Tue 30-Jun-20 20:08:02

My lovely mum suffered with post-herpetic neuralgia after shingles for some 8 years. Poor lady had some very bad days. She used to keep calamine lotion in the fridge to apply liberally to one side of her face (she said she looked like Phantom of the Opera). The damage left her permanently with no feeling in one half of her lips - completely numb and on good days she used to apply her lipstick and comment goodness knows where I’m spreading this!

Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-20 20:31:20

Sounds awful Urmstongran. Your poor Mum. I'm happy to have the vaccination. Too young right now though.

MawB Tue 30-Jun-20 20:46:40

Apparently shingles can occur if you are run down. That's when mine came on (see above) - I was in bed recovering from bronchitis
Exactly Dinahmo - I just meant to highlight that a lot of older people think they can catch Shingles from their grandchildren if they get chickenpox.
Sorry I was very unclear.