Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

do you know anything about immunity?

(66 Posts)
ExD Wed 15-Jul-20 13:27:38

Has it been established that people who've already bad covid 19 and recovered, are protected from further infections?

Grumpygran12 Thu 16-Jul-20 13:28:31

Thank you LuckyoldBeethoven - thats a very helpful article which explains clearly the dangers of conspiracy theories, which can present as very persuasive in uncertain times.

Tanjamaltija Thu 16-Jul-20 13:46:44

There are people who have caught Covid-19 twice, so this puts paid to the theory of herd immunity. www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9b_4BRCMARIsADMUIypDqlC67ljrSKz0XmuOAOa6TEVOGxqB9-ekgNmw-cvgBHuXIKnsvIYaAguiEALw_wcB

and

www.bbc.com/news/health-52446965

Jillybird Thu 16-Jul-20 13:59:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mamma7 Thu 16-Jul-20 14:13:03

As others have said - immunity appears to last a short time only

SparklyGrandma Thu 16-Jul-20 14:42:04

Some people have had it, then had it again, one of my doctors tell me.

Bluecat Thu 16-Jul-20 15:09:52

My DD said that type O is the best, from a Covid-19 perspective. Type A is the best. We were discussing the apparent vulnerability of South Asian people, given the higher death rate of BAME people and the bad situation in India. She said that it might involve Type A blood with a mutation on Gene 3, plus other factors such as a propensity to diabetes and (in India, at least) poverty, overcrowding, etc. It concerns us, as my DH is Indian and (obviously) our kids and grandkids could have inherited any vulnerability. However, there is no clear and certain reason why some ethnic groups have a higher death rate than others.

I can't remember my blood group but my DD is Type A, meaning that either her dad or I, or both, must be A.

She has mentioned this genetic mutation before, when talking about the virus, but I am not sure whether it applies to Type A blood in general or just to South Asian people. (She didn't get her scientific ability from me - I am hopeless!)

It's strange how this virus behaves in different people. I even read somewhere that bald men were more vulnerable! Due to testosterone levels, apparently. My DH is 70, male, Asian, bald and has borderline high blood pressure (another risk factor.) I am never letting him out.

maddyone Thu 16-Jul-20 15:24:14

I’m sorry, but I’m afraid I think Dr Vernon Coleman is spouting rubbish. I saw the scenes in ICU, we all did did. He’s a dangerous man.

25Avalon Thu 16-Jul-20 17:12:30

Vitamin D is said to help prevent catching Covid or having it badly. Apparently black people because of the nature of their skin absorb less vitamin D so that could be another factor in with the others. This is also another reason it is more prevalent in the winter when there is less sunlight.

BlueSky Thu 16-Jul-20 19:10:39

At the moment it's all if maybe perhaps, I will take it all with a pinch of salt after having frighten myself silly only for that theory to be disproved or in fact the opposite being suggested!

Sassieannie Thu 16-Jul-20 19:13:43

Wow.. Vernon Coleman was my doctor as a child. My mother who is 86, blood group A, has mild COPD and is quite frail with limited mobility caught COVID in hospital in March following a fall and only had it mildly with a temperature and slight cough. She also had pneumonia last year and ended up in intensive care, so that for her was obviously more serious.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 19:20:54

25 Avalon: we’ve been taking VitD3 for months. The other day I picked up an old Times magazine and read an article by Caitlin Moran in which she wrote about the menopause. She’d had a blood test which said her VitD reading was 12 and it should be 40-50. So it just shows how low our levels of VitD can get. The thing about VitD is that taking it can’t do any harm and might just do some good.

BlueSky Thu 16-Jul-20 19:41:01

MayBee too much Vit D is in fact toxic leading to excessive levels of calcium in the
blood.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 20:25:39

You’d have to take quite a large dose, though.

Cp43 Fri 17-Jul-20 07:50:43

I had it back in March, as did my husband only his was not as bad which was surprising as he is diabetic, 69 and overweight. Antibody test was Positive and the levels of antibodies out of 10 were 7.8 for him and 5.7 for me. However subsequently I have had intermittent recurrence of the 2 skin rashes I developed when I was sick, but no other symptoms so am still clear of cv. GP said it can stay in body a (I imagine bit like Malaria does) but will wear off eventually, but doc did add that it wasn’t proven for anything as yet. My initial symptoms in March weren’t as they advertised as didn’t have cough or particularly high temperature or worrying breathing problems, I had sickness like being sea sick , dizziness, loss of appetite and metallic taste in mouth, no smell, fatigue, diaorreah but not with bowel warnings so very nasty plus 2 skin rashes nearer the end. approx 2 weeks then woke up one day and felt amazing like weight lifted off it was a euphoric feeling I’ve never had before. Husband got off lightly with similar but not all same symptoms.

Seakay Fri 17-Jul-20 14:21:18

No one knows if immunity is ever achieved nor how long it will last if it is. There is already evidence that either Covid19 is already mutating or it has many more symptoms and effects than previously stated (eg heart attacks, liver damage, rashes, chronic fatigue lasting months, etc etc). As test track and trace isn't in place there is no way of knowing how many people have the virus but are asymptomatic, nor how contagious asymptomatic people are compared to those with symptoms.