Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How did Lady Colin Campbell afford to buy & renovate Goring Castle?

(38 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Thu 23-Jul-20 16:19:58

I didn't realise what an incredibly beautiful building this is. Grade 1 listed. And at the time she acquired it, it was on the 'At Risk' register. Apart from doing 'I'm a Celebrity' to pay for a new roof, how on earth did she afford the rest? It must've cost millions to turn around... Any ideas?

EllanVannin Thu 23-Jul-20 16:26:21

I wondered too after she'd appeared on the jungle programme as I've seen a few shots of the place when she's been interviewed.
Materials used were the best of everything as I once watched the hanging of the handmade curtains.
The place itself was a mess and leaked everywhere where it would have cost thousands to put right.

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-20 16:47:02

Perhaps it was sold for a song if the previous owner found that it would cost a fortune to hang onto it and have to repair it? She would still have to spend a lot on the renovations, but sawe on the initial buying cost.

Maybe the bank was willing to give her a large loan, as it is such a beautiful building and would be worth a lot when it was restored?

Then again, it could be that she robbed a bank, blackmailed some billionnaire, or sat on a street corner with an out-of tune violin and an upturned cloth cap. Why do you ask?

BlueBelle Thu 23-Jul-20 16:57:59

She comes from a moneyed family she has sued a number of publications over the years for items written about her sexual problems and she writes books so she may well have access to pots of gold surely

Chewbacca Thu 23-Jul-20 17:09:30

So long as her money has been obtained legally, does it matter?

Callistemon Thu 23-Jul-20 17:13:45

She's worth a few million £ so I suppose she can spend it as she wishes.

I can think of worse things to spend your money on than renovating a beautiful old property.

MawB Thu 23-Jul-20 17:21:48

I think that’s a very intrusive question?
Unless you are suggesting some sort of dodgy dealing, whats it to do with anybody else?

MaryTheBookeeper Thu 23-Jul-20 17:26:30

I was just curious that's all.

Sussexborn Thu 23-Jul-20 17:33:35

Grants perhaps?

felice Thu 23-Jul-20 17:39:10

MawB exactly, it is none of our business, people must be getting short of things to post here, scraping the barrel a bit.

lemongrove Thu 23-Jul-20 17:57:53

I think the short answer is ‘who cares.’I have no idea who she is anyway.

Bluebellwould Thu 23-Jul-20 18:00:27

I’ve always found her an interesting character and love her voice. When you actually find out about her early life and the medical problems she had, I feel extremely sorry for her. Her money is old family money and that information is freely available on the net. Why is there such an outcry for the original question? It’s getting to the stage on gransnet that there should be a list of acceptable topics that we can only post about in order to stop offending the always offended.

Oopsminty Thu 23-Jul-20 18:02:48

Beautiful job of restoring the home

Well done Lady Colin Campbell

I like her as well.

She's a hoot

glammanana Thu 23-Jul-20 19:31:03

She will be privy to all the grants available i'm sure to help with her renovation apart from her own finances I think she is amazing and her knowledge of the Monarchy is second to none I could listen to her all day long.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jul-20 20:00:57

Repulsive woman..

merlotgran Thu 23-Jul-20 20:03:51

Repulsive woman..

Why? shock

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jul-20 20:34:16

youtu.be/Sq0G5_--Ew8

Galaxy Thu 23-Jul-20 20:44:41

She was deeply unpleasant in I'm a celebrity.

merlotgran Thu 23-Jul-20 20:45:25

Blimey!

Anniebach Thu 23-Jul-20 20:46:25

Wonder how many there have squashed a wasp, swiped a fly,
allowed poison to be put down for a rat.

merlotgran Thu 23-Jul-20 20:49:47

They eat bugs for bushtucker trials don't they?

Haven't watched it for years.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jul-20 20:54:44

It's not just the throwing of a live animal on the fire.
Would you find it amusing if you or yours was spoken to like that?

merlotgran Thu 23-Jul-20 20:57:26

No I wouldn't but I wonder how much of it is staged for the cameras?

I'm a bit of a sceptical old thing where reality TV is concerned.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jul-20 20:59:12

Maybe.
For me though, I don't think having a posh voice makes speaking to people that way acceptable or funny.

NotTooOld Thu 23-Jul-20 21:07:28

I believe she married a rich man, didn't she? Perhaps he paid for it. She must make a few bob from her books, too. I've just finished one of her recent ones about H and M. (Well, we are in lockdown. grin)