Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I don't want to leave LO overnight yet

(212 Posts)
Lesim91 Fri 24-Jul-20 12:40:40

Hi,

I would like to sound this out with other grandparents to see if I'm being unreasonable.

My MIL keeps asking us to leave our one year old overnight at her house but we don't feel comfortable with this. Due to the pandemic we went 4 months without seeing family but have started meeting up since he restrictions eased, so they're unfamiliar with what he likes and his routines. They also have quite an aggressive small dog who had to be put in a muzzle when we visited last week (our son was nowhere near the dog but she went for him). This makes our visits to theirs feel stressful as we're always watching the dog- they won't leave it upstairs or in another room.

We have suggested to them that they start by taking him out for the afternoon or during the day so that they can build up a relationship with him, as my son doesn't really know them that well thanks to Covid. But the overnight thing we don't feel comfortable with until he's stayed away from home with us there a few times.

My mil says I'm being unreasonable and has taken it personally. Despite the fact my husband feels the same way (it's ally doing?!) And we're ok with daytrips.

She's always been like this and is never happy. But she always makes me question myself. Do I sound unreasonable?

quizqueen Fri 24-Jul-20 14:08:17

My adult daughters and my grandchildren are great but it wouldn't occur to me to want to have them stay overnight on their own unless there was an emergency or the parents particularly asked me to. I just don't get it why grandparents want or expect this.

I've brought up children now it's time to enjoy my grandchildren, often but in small doses. If I babysit, I go to theirs. It doesn't bother me if they adults want to stay out late as I'm happy to just drive home and, if they come back somewhat 'inebriated', tough on them if their kids wake up early the next morning! I shall enjoy the lie in.

Chewbacca Fri 24-Jul-20 14:12:11

Nope, you're not being unreasonable in the least. In your shoes, I wouldn't be leaving my baby either. As for the dog.... I wouldn't be visiting myself, let alone leave a baby.

JoyBloggs Fri 24-Jul-20 14:24:29

Chewbacca

Nope, you're not being unreasonable in the least. In your shoes, I wouldn't be leaving my baby either. As for the dog.... I wouldn't be visiting myself, let alone leave a baby.

Same advice from me.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 14:32:06

Not yet, especially as they have been out of contact due to COVID for 4 months. And with an aggressive dog? No.

They need to take it slowly. And put the dog in the kennels for the night.

maddyone Fri 24-Jul-20 14:35:31

You absolutely should not buckle in to this. Your baby barely knows his grandparents, his grandparents barely know him. It’s sad that Covid19 has brought this about for many grandparents and very young grandchildren who can’t be expected to remember people they haven’t seen for months, but it is what it is. Luckily for us, our grandchildren all remember us well, even the two year old, but that is because we had such a lot to do with them before Covid19 and because they’re older. We also saw them via FaceTime and over the wall short visits throughout the crisis. We made up stories and read them and sent the videos to them to keep in touch. I also baked goodies for them and grandad made a variety of garden planters for them to look after. But your child is a baby and these things couldn’t or weren’t done. Only allow your baby to stay overnight when you are sure he’s familiar with his grandparents and when the dog situation is sorted to your satisfaction. To be honest I think a one year old baby is too young to stay overnight away from his parents unless it is an emergency.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 14:36:19

When I say slowly perhaps when your DS is about 3 or 4?and only if he is happy to stay.
And the dog is not there.

maddyone Fri 24-Jul-20 14:37:27

Agree with Callistemon.

GrandmaMoira Fri 24-Jul-20 14:42:06

I wouldn't even want to visit myself with a dog like that in the house.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 14:44:50

Perhaps you could be conciliatory and invite them over to your house for an hour and a brew so that they can re-establish their relationship with their DGS.
As long as they leave the dog at home.

Chewbacca Fri 24-Jul-20 15:03:26

As the baby grows and becomes a toddler, the dog is going to become an ever bigger problem. At the moment, the baby stays where he's put but once he's mobile, that's going to be very difficult and I'd be very cautious about taking him where the dog is.

Toadinthehole Fri 24-Jul-20 15:18:39

I haven’t read any other replies, so sorry if repeating. I’d decided ‘ no’, from your third line, just leaving him overnight. Once I got to the dog...and then your MIL taking it personally.....forget it. He is the most precious thing in your life, there’s absolutely no need for overnight stays at his age. If anything happens to him, to most people it’ll just be something horrible that happened, and will become a distant memory, but you’ll live with it forever. Don’t do it.

Peardrop50 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:23:21

I am at a loss to fathom the reason some grandparents crave overnight stays. For little people to wake up in the night in a bed that's not their own and neither Mummy nor Daddy present could be quite upsetting. Be patient and wait until little four, five, six year old asks to stay then it becomes a joyful, exciting adventure.
Lesim91 your baby, your call. I think the baby is far too young and I'd certainly be wary of the dog.

TerriBull Fri 24-Jul-20 15:33:42

"I'm at a loss to fathom the reason some grandparents crave overnight stays" playing mummy again vicariously. Seemingly having been a parent once, is not enough for some, must do it all over again with grandchild/ren, even if the actual parents don't want that hmm

TerriBull Fri 24-Jul-20 15:37:25

"One step back" has always been my motto. We have had the grandchildren overnight when they were very young, as requested by their parents, but what's so great about having little ones wander into your bedroom at stupid o'clock, often still dark, with a "time to get up nana/grandad"grin

AGAA4 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:38:50

Much as I love my one year old grandson I wouldn't want him to stay for his own sake. They need their parents at that age and this sounds as though your MiL is only thinking of herself not the baby.

I wouldn't take him at all while there is a vicious dog in the house.

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:41:34

No, nothing unreasonable about your decision.

eazybee Fri 24-Jul-20 15:46:09

No way; he is not a toy, nor a pet to be loaned out. If she persists, and if/when you feel ready, say about two years down the line, agree, but you stay as well.

MiniMoon Fri 24-Jul-20 15:46:38

No, you are not being unreasonable. A one year old is very little to be leaving with anyone overnight.

I waited until the grandchildren asked to come for a sleepover. DGD was about 2 1/2 before she wanted to stay.

We had a little terrier. She was the loveliest, most gentle little dog but I didn't trust her around the babies. Whenever they visited I put the dog into the kitchen and there she stayed until they left. The DGC were introduced to her gradually.

You have to think of the happiness and safety of your son. It comes before the wants of a grown woman who should understand your reluctance.

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Jul-20 15:56:07

I think you should just say you don't want him to stay.
Irrespective of the wretched dog!

We just said no. It was tough. We said "no, thank you for the offer. We will bear it in mind for when they are bigger"

And just kept repeating it. We said we felt they weren't ready. They can argue with how you feel.
They will argue with anything rational if you try to have reasons!

I think this is a big lesson in that feelings are 100% impossible to argue with. They are yours and no one can deny them... they might say they make no sense but, hey, this is just how you feel.

Good luck.

BlueBelle Fri 24-Jul-20 16:06:57

What’s an LO Lost Oranges?

Esspee Fri 24-Jul-20 16:28:40

LO - Little One

Esspee Fri 24-Jul-20 16:29:54

Lovely to see a unanimous response.

Lesim91 Fri 24-Jul-20 17:16:24

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!

We're going to stick to our guns with the overnight thing. We give them plenty of opportunities to see him- we've seen them most weekends since the restrictions eased.

We're also going to be politely request that the dog is kept upstairs on our next visit, otherwise all visiting will have to take place at our house!

Thanks for your responses, she always makes me doubt myself xx

Toadinthehole Fri 24-Jul-20 17:20:54

You sound lovely and very accommodating. I suggest you read some of the estrangement threads and you’ll see some real horrors of MIL’s. Get yourself prepared!?

Lesim91 Fri 24-Jul-20 17:26:25

Toadinthehole thank you, I've had my fair share of horror stories related to my MIL but I've always tried to keep things civil as the rest of my in-laws are lovely and I wouldn't want my husband or my son to miss out on seeing them x