Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I don't want to leave LO overnight yet

(212 Posts)
Lesim91 Fri 24-Jul-20 12:40:40

Hi,

I would like to sound this out with other grandparents to see if I'm being unreasonable.

My MIL keeps asking us to leave our one year old overnight at her house but we don't feel comfortable with this. Due to the pandemic we went 4 months without seeing family but have started meeting up since he restrictions eased, so they're unfamiliar with what he likes and his routines. They also have quite an aggressive small dog who had to be put in a muzzle when we visited last week (our son was nowhere near the dog but she went for him). This makes our visits to theirs feel stressful as we're always watching the dog- they won't leave it upstairs or in another room.

We have suggested to them that they start by taking him out for the afternoon or during the day so that they can build up a relationship with him, as my son doesn't really know them that well thanks to Covid. But the overnight thing we don't feel comfortable with until he's stayed away from home with us there a few times.

My mil says I'm being unreasonable and has taken it personally. Despite the fact my husband feels the same way (it's ally doing?!) And we're ok with daytrips.

She's always been like this and is never happy. But she always makes me question myself. Do I sound unreasonable?

moonbeames Sun 26-Jul-20 09:52:45

You are being perfectly reasonable, I would not leave my young child with her around that dog. The dog is probably jealous which could be a health risk and could easily bite your baby. Stand your ground. Say something like "I am not really comfortable with that as yet." Maybe meet up during the day if you can with your husband and keep things light. Its hard enough being a new mother, good luck and good on you.

Hetty58 Sun 26-Jul-20 10:01:54

Lesim91, you just have an unreasonable MIL.

I wouldn't be at all happy leaving a one year old overnight with people they didn't know well. Your son is a person with feelings, not a new toy for her!

You are quite correct in your thinking - so don't question your own good judgement.

joanna12 Sun 26-Jul-20 18:27:42

You sound like a lovely thoughtful daughter inlaw,and i agree you are not being unreasonable.Sending love and best wishes.

eviesgranny Sun 26-Jul-20 22:08:28

A MIL shouldn't even have those expectations ... You are very reasonable... it is important that your MIL knows her place ... It is inappropriate for anyone to think they should have their grandchild to stay when they haven't really seen them in close contact for over 4 months. I'm a grandmother, I would never ever even ask for a little one to leave their parents so young because of my wish! I am also a grandmother with dogs and I would not let any of them near my grandchildren & certainly would not have them in the same room if I had to muzzle them. Do not leave your grandchild where there are dogs which might hurt them, not even for seconds! That poor wee dog obviously has issues also ... but ... you have to be clear with her & explain you do not want the dog in the same room as your little one. I'm sorry you have all this to deal with, you keep those instincts strong & stick with what is right for your baby... actually that really is the bottom line!!
Very Best Wishes.

Mistyfluff8 Mon 27-Jul-20 06:53:32

When I started out as a Community Midwife I was offered lots of dogs as they were jealous of the new baby and aggressive You cannot trust the dog and heaven forbid any harm coming to your child if you left him with them .No way would I leave a child .All it needs is the dog to escape

Lucca Mon 27-Jul-20 07:32:46

I’ve been fortunate enough to have one DGD stay with me for the odd night from quite an early age but it was to allow parents to have a night or two away for weddings etc, BUT I would never have “asked” to have her. Mil does sound like a bit of a pain to be honest!

mousemac Mon 27-Jul-20 17:46:37

It's your child, not theirs. You are the proper people to decide what is right for your child.
Do not feel guilty; no sensible in-laws would want to put you in such a position!

BucGirl1987 Mon 27-Jul-20 23:48:59

May I ask what the "x" at the end of a post means? Is it the XOXO? Like hugs and kisses means? Because it does not seem like it...it seems rather like a condescending send off common in UK English but I cannot quite put my finger on it. Any advice or explanation would be helpful. I see it a lot on Mumsnet and here on Gransnet but I am still confused to that part of the written language. Thanks so much!

Baggs Wed 29-Jul-20 19:43:52

It's a way of emphasising a person's thankfulness for the responses.

Or just a sign of friendliness.

welbeck Wed 29-Jul-20 20:00:26

BucGirl1987 wrote:
May I ask what the "x" at the end of a post means?
it seems rather like a condescending send off common in UK English
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
why do you think it seems condescending ??

honeyrose Thu 30-Jul-20 01:00:55

You’re being perfectly reasonable. I would not want my child anywhere near that particular dog - dogs (especially certain breeds) can be so unpredictable and can get jealous and then aggressive. It’s your MIL that’s being unreasonable. I’m not a dog hater by the way, but just a very cautious person.